Famous Atheists in Indian history

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Can't be termed that, not at all.
I don't entirely agree with Ram Mohan Roy, but I think he does have a point. The intricacies of Hindu philosophy were far beyond the typical Hindu throughout history, and indeed even today. For the great mass of Hindus, their religion (or "way of life", if you prefer) was defined largely by certain rituals and dietary habits. There was no great underlying logic behind any of it, just a great fear of the real and perceived consequences of deviating from said rituals and habits. Here is a link to Ram Mohan Roy's original statement regarding Hindooism (Hinduism), which is dated to 1816: A Review of the Labours, Opinions, and Character of Rajah Rammohun Roy: In a ... - Lant Carpenter - Google Books

GPM

Tihar Jail
Banned
In Indian system there are nine major schools of philosophy. Six are ASTIK and three are NASTIK. The latter deny the authority of Vedas. But they do not translate as rheist and atheist.

Hindu schools subscribe to Ishwarvada, ie the belief in One Supreme. Charvaks deny that. Buddhism is silent on this, upto the individual. Jainism believes that every soul can achieve omnipotence and omniscience etc, attributes of Ishwar.

Charvaks deny God, atma etc since they cannot be perceived. Tyhus Charvak is the only pure Anisharwad school. For them perception was the only source of knowledge. Lols. Nayaya, Yoga, Jain, Buddhist philosophers showed that perception is fallible.

So theism/atheism have no meaning in the context of Hinduism.

Last edited:

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned
I don't entirely agree with Ram Mohan Roy, but I think he does have a point. The intricacies of Hindu philosophy were far beyond the typical Hindu throughout history, and indeed even today. For the great mass of Hindus, their religion (or "way of life", if you prefer) was defined largely by certain rituals and dietary habits. There was no great underlying logic behind any of it, just a great fear of the real and perceived consequences of deviating from said rituals and habits. Here is a link to Ram Mohan Roy's original statement regarding Hindooism (Hinduism), which is dated to 1816: A Review of the Labours, Opinions, and Character of Rajah Rammohun Roy: In a ... - Lant Carpenter - Google Books
Don't many Sudras/SCs in South India traditionally eat beef?

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned
So?

Buffalo meat too is classified as beef. Goat and sheep are both mutton.
Well when I was in Kerala, people were openly eating cow beef, and I heard from our driver its very common across the border in TN and AP also. I don't think there is a big taboo there against consuming beef. It might have been imposed fairly recently by North Indian Vaishnavas. Just speculating at this...

Would proud beef eater @Iamanidiot like to contribute?

Last edited by a moderator:

Iamanidiot

Well when I was in Kerala, people were openly eating cow beef, and I heard from our driver its very common across the border in TN and AP also. I don't think there is a big taboo there against consuming beef. It might have been imposed fairly recently by North Indian Vaishnavas. Just speculating at this...

Would proud beef eater @Iamanidiot like to contribute?
Whats the beef with beef?

Last edited by a moderator:

MAYURA

Tihar Jail
Banned
Jainism has some kinky beliefs though. Sure there is no concept of a personal god, but the Jains wholly subscribe to the dogma of karma and reincarnation. Also they along with Hindus have the bogus belief that time is cyclic.
Jainism also believes that their tirthankars lived for millions of years and had 200 feet bodies.

MAYURA

Tihar Jail
Banned
Whats the beef with beef?
what is beef with marrying one's step mother as arabs did it prior to islam.

I see it very reasonable thing. why do rationalists not force arab and muslims to revert to do this.

MAYURA

Tihar Jail
Banned
You know me well ( i am thakur sahib as per your term ) and the fact of matter is that in Tamil Nadu beef was taboo from 500 ad at latest till 1930s even among sudras, in Andhra it was the same and karnataka in my view is relatively better.

much of beef eating you see in these states dates to british period.

The Great Gupta rulers had made it capital crime to kill cow as early as 320 ad and by 500 ad it was observed in entire india that is from kabul to assam and kashmir to kanyakumari, however dead cow was eaten by those who were called untouchables ( they became untouchables only due to beef eating ) and british in their nefarious design to pit one section of hindus against another promoted, legalized and industrialized beef eating. the already eaters of beef had no problem and with DMK movement, all sections of society became beef eaters in tamil nadu and kerala, In Andhra, it was not that widespread but nonetheless it became entrenched. Now, the fact is that when you can use 15 percent of muslims to blackmail whole nation, why can not you use 22 percent of beef eating hindus to further weaken hinduism the mortal enemy of marxism, shavapujakas ( hindi term for christs ) and marusthala sampradaya aka islam.

Since 1950s, beef eating has percolated kerala massively and then the canard is spread that they have traditionally eaten beef.

please note that tipu and other zealots forced Nairs to eat beef which in itself indicates that beef was loathed by mallus at large.

Global Defence

Articles