Family of Kargil martyrs salute spirit of sacrifice

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Family of Kargil martyrs salute spirit of sacrifice

Tololing (Kargil) (PTI): Ten years after Captain Neikezhakuo Kenguriise sacrificed his life when he led a platoon to re-capture Tololing from Pakistani troops during the Kargil war, his family has come all the way from Nagaland to salute the place of their son's martyrdom.

"We have to come to see and salute the place of the martyrdom of our son. It was a dream for us to visit the holy place and pray for our son", the late captain's father Neiselie Kenguriise told a visiting PTI correspondent here on Saturday.

As they took a glimpse of Tololing ridgeline captured by their son and his platoon, tears welled in the eyes of Neiselie, his wife Dinuo and daughter.

Captain Neikezhakuo led his platoon to Tololing ridgeline overlooking an imporotant army formation, ejected Pakistani regulars and re-captured the ridgeline in a five-day-long battle. But he lost his life in mortar shelling on June 18, 1999.

Captain Neikezhakuo, who hailed from Kohima in Nagaland, was awarded Mahavir Chakra (MVC).

"My son did his duty to the nation with utmost dedication. We have come here to pay homage to him along with other martyrs, who defeated the enemy in one of the most difficult wars", the captain's parents said.

Like Captain Neikezhakuo, another soldier Captain Manoj Pandey achieved martyrdom by beating back Pakistani troops and re-capturing Khalobar ridgeline, one of the most dominant positions captured by the Pakistani troops in Kargil sector.He died on July 3, 1999 in this sector.

"He is my hero as well as the nation's hero. He braved enemy fire and re-captured Khalobar ridgeline and pushed back Pakistani troops. He was given Param Vir Chakra (PVC) posthumously," his brother Manmohan Pandey, who had come to visit the memorial from Lucknow, said.

Flanked by his mother, Manmohan said, "I had come here to pray at the place where my brother sacrificed his life in the line of duty. This place is a temple for me".

"My father and mother have visited the memorial several times and it was my dream to visit the place," he said.

The Hindu News Update Service

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Govt didn't fulfil promises: Kargil martyr's brother

Updated on Saturday, July 25, 2009, 16:01 IST

Rampur: Ten years after sepoy Baljeet Singh laid down his life in Kargil war, the family of the martyr accused the Centre and the state government of not fulfilling any of the assurances made to them.

"The government had assured to allot a petrol pump to one of our family members along with construction of a park, a road and a school to be named after Baljeet, but none of the assurances have transformed into action," Ranjeet Singh, Baljeet's brother said today.

Baljeet Singh, a sepoy with the artillery division of Sikh regiment, died during a gunbattle with Pak intruders at Kargil on July 9, 1999.

Adding to the woes of the farmer family, the government asked them to build the martyr's memorial on their own, promising that the expenses would be reimbursed later.

"We spent about Rs two lakh on his memorial but the government has not paid a single penny so far," Ranjit said.

"We are proud of our brother who laid down his life combating enemy in Kargil for the sake of the country," he said, adding, we observe the martyrdom of our brother every year only to remember government's apathy towards him.

Govt didn`t fulfil promises: Kargil martyr`s brother

amitkriit

Kargil united us, whole country stood by our brave soldiers, every state of India sacrificed loved ones for the cause. Now its the duty of our Government and the civil society to ensure every support for the families who are trying to recover from such great loss. Being from a soldier's family it makes me feel good that our society is always ready to embrace the families of our martyrs, our corrupt boabudom is an entirely different story.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Kargil united us, whole country stood by our brave soldiers, every state of India sacrificed loved ones for the cause. Now its the duty of our Government and the civil society to ensure every support for the families who are trying to recover from such great loss. Being from a soldier's family it makes me feel good that our society is always ready to embrace the families of our martyrs, our corrupt boabudom is an entirely different story.
And they only do the biggest harm to the nation by thier corrupted schemes and vote bank politics .

s_bman

Ex Indian Army chief accuses Musharraf of telling lies
Updated on Saturday, July 25, 2009, 17:39 IST
Drass: Accusing former Pakistan military ruler Pervez Musharraf of "telling lies", the retired Indian Army chief VP Malik on Saturday said that the Pakistani general seemed to change his perceptions and actions on the Kargil war before different audiences.

"He (Musharraf) keeps changing his statements. There was time, he was not owning up his role in the conflict. First he said it was only irregular militants fighting, but later changed his views and owned up that regular Pakistani Army troops were involved in the intrusion," Malik said at a ceremony to mark 10 years of the conflict, which saw extraordinary feats of bravery and dare-devilry by Indian Army men and just commissioned young officers.

Commenting on claims made by Musharraf that through the Kargil, he had brought Kashmir issue back on the international agenda in a big way, Malik who led the Indian Army during the conflict period, said events were to the contrary, as it was a proud and brave Indian Army, which evicted the Pakistanis from the heights occupied illegally by them.

Taking on the former Pakistani president, Malik said, Musharraf was an Army chief, who did not dare to own up Pakistani Army casualties and refused to take their dead bodies, which had to be buried with honour by Indian forces.

Malik also said that Pakistani rulers, including their military brass could not be trusted and New Delhi would have to step up preparedness, as any new war could be foisted on the country anytime.

Referring to defence setup in Kargil, the former Indian Army chief said that things are now much better. "We have strengthened our defences, people too are confident. We are now capable of defending every part of the country."

Remembering the war heroes and events that took place during the Operation Vijay, he said, "It is a memorable event. I would say it is honour for me to be part of this event here. By looking at the faces of the brave soldiers, kins of martyrs and awardees, I wonder what they are made of.

Ex Indian Army chief accuses Musharraf of telling lies

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
Emotional tributes to Kargil heroes​

DRASS: Tears rolled down the faces of family members of the fallen soldiers of Kargil war at the sight of memorials unveiled today for their loved ones who helped trounce the Pakistani army 10 years ago while colleagues and superiors paid emotional tributes to the heroes.

"Looking at the faces of the brave soldiers, kins of martyrs and awardees, I wonder what these heroes are made of?... They are examples of patriotism," former army chief V P Malik, who commanded the force during the Kargil conflict, said while dedicating a war memorial gallery in Drass named after Paramvir Chakra awardee Capt Manoj Panday.

Captain Manoj Pandey was involved in recapturing Khalobar ridgeline, one of the most dominant positions captured by the Pakistani troops in Kargil sector.He died on July 3, 1999 in this sector.

"He is my hero as well as the nation's hero. I had come here to pray at the place where my brother sacrificed his life. This place is a temple for me," the captain's brother Manmohan Pandey, who was accompanied by his mother, said.

Kargil, a ghost town during the war, was today abuzz with stories of valour and courage of Indian soldiers who took part in 'Operation Vijay' as their famillies descended here to take part in two-day celebrations to mark the victory.

"It was a dream for us to visit the holy place and pray for our son," Neiselie Kenguriise, father of Captain Neikezhakuo Kenguriise who sacrificed his life when he led a platoon to re-capture Tololing, said.

As they took a glimpse of Tololing ridgeline, tears welled in the eyes of Neiselie, his wife Dinuo and daughter.

Link

venom

DFI Technocrat
Indian Soldiers Are The Real Heroes :india:

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
10 years of Kargil: PM pays tribute​

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday led the nation in paying homage to the martyrs of the Kargil war on its 10th anniversary.

"I join the entire nation in paying homage to the martyrs of the Kargil war. They sacrificed their lives in defence of Indian unity and integrity," the Prime Minister wrote in the visitor's book at Amar Jawan Jyoti here.

"The best tribute we can pay to the gallant officers and jawans is to dedicate ourselves to the gigantic task of nation building and work steadfastly to protect the unity and integrity of our nation," he added.

This was the first time in the last five years of UPA government's rule that the political leadership has also participated in the Kargil war day celebrations. Singh was accompanied by Defence Minister A K Antony, Navy Chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta, Army Vice Chief Lieutenant General Noble Thamburaj and Air Force Vice Chief Air Marshal P K Barbora.

Link

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Kargil martyr's parents & wife fight over ex gratia money
Ashis Senapati, TNN 27 July 2009, 12:41am IST
|

KENDRAPADA: Even as the nation observed the 10th anniversary of Vijay Diwas on July 26, a strange story of one of the martyrs of that conflict,Sachitananda Mallick of Kendrapada, Orissa, has resurfaced.

Malati Lata (78), the mother of Sachitananda, had dreams of building a statue of her brave son at a cost of Rs 2 lakh. But her hopes have dashed as she hasn't received any money from the Rs 22 lakh ex-gratia that the government and other public and private organizations granted to her daughter-in-law, Nibedita.

Malati Lata received the news of martyrdom of her younger son, Naik Sachitananda Mallick of Mahar regiment, on June 30 at Drass during Operation Vijay. Sachitananda was hit on the forehead by shell splinters fired by Pakistani intruders and was killed.

He was cremated with full military honours and his funeral was attended by the entire village, as well as government officials. But, soon Sachitananda's old parents got another shock when authorities refused to pay them any portion of the ex gratia of Rs 20 lakh, all of which went to the martyr's widow.

The insensitivity of authorities forced the old parents to file a case against Nibedita in 1999, after she refused to give them any money. "We have not seen Nibedita and her son for long. My mother is now ill and wants to see her grand-son and daughter in-law," said Nimai, Sachitananda’s elder brother.

‘‘My mother is now certain she won’t be able to realise her dream of a statue for her son. In last 10 years, we have lost a lot of money in the case,’’ he added. ‘‘As per Hindu Succession Act (1956), a father is not class 1 heir and has no right over the compensation amount. But the mother is a class 1 heir and is entitled to a share of compensation,’’ said Mrutunjaya Samal, a lawyer in Kendrapada.

‘‘While it’s not known how many families across the country have gone into litigation on account of the large amount of compensation money to martyrs, our organization helps people sort out such disputes out of court,’’ said Mahesh Kar, general secretary of District Ex-servicemen’s Association.

When contacted, Nibedita said, ‘‘My mother-in-law being has been misguided. I left the village seven years back. Now I live in Bhubaneswar with my son. I have no animosity towards my in-laws.’’
Kargil martyr's parents & wife fight over ex gratia money - India - NEWS - The Times of India

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles