Faith in democracy fell to 47% from 55% in 8 years

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

NEW DELHI: The preliminary data from the second State of Democracy in South Asia (SDSA) report shows democracy in India is thriving though the level of belief in it has dipped sharply since 2005.

Findings of the three-nation survey — conducted in Sri Lanka, Nepal and India — was unveiled here on Friday. The survey in Pakistan would take place over next few months.

Indian survey, conducted by Lokniti-Centre for the Study of Developing Societies (CSDS) in early this year, shows that people who believe in democracy has come down to 47% from 55% in the first SDSA in 2005. Even the percentage of people who were undecided (30%) has come down to 18% in the latest survey. Result of Indian survey was presented by political scientists Suhas Palshikar, Sanjay Kumar and Sandeep Shastri.

Conducted over 22 states with a sample size of 5,465 and consisting of fair representation of all social categories, the highlight of the survey is that men are more satisfied with democracy and most importantly all minorities compared to majority prefer more democracy. Among the minorities, 51% preferred democracy that found favour only among 43% of majority community. Among the minorities, 10% said under some circumstances an authoritarian government can be preferable to a democracy; 17% said it didn't matter to them whether there is a democratic or a non-democratic government. In the majority community, 11% were in favour of an authoritarian government and 16% didn't care. Interestingly, 30% of the majority community did not respond unlike only 22% of minorities.

But the irony is that 54% of people surveyed did not know the meaning of democracy. Only 10% said it is about people's rule, for 4% about parties and elections, for 5% about law & institutions and another 4% said it is about social justice and equality and for 9% about development & welfare. In fact, there has been discernible decline in perception of democracy since 2005. Around 41% said government should consider opinions of all ordinary citizens, 24% wanted government to consult local government and 19% said government can take decisions by itself.

As for participation in political activities, majority said they have never got together to raise an issue or seen a petition or attended a demonstration. It also comes out that the majority (54%) consider government as their employee and some (26%) look to it as their parent. The survey shows that government employees were most contacted to solve problems, even more than politicians. Most surprisingly more than half the people polled preferred government control over media.

Representative democracy was again favoured (86%) in comparison to rule by experts, strong leader, military rule or rule by a religious leader. However, in the last survey support for representative democracy was 94%. Call it a reflection of changing character of politics, preference for strong leader, military rule (39% from 24% in 2005) and even religious leader has gone up. Among those who supported rule by religious leader, 32% are non-literate, minorities (30%), majority (26%), youth (26%) and only 19% highly educated. But preference for military rule is higher among the majority community (42%), non-literate (43%), highly educated (36%) and minority (32%).

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/Fai...says/articleshow/21178477.cms?intenttarget=no

TrueSpirit likes this.
  3. arnabmit

arnabmit Homo Communis Indus Senior Member

Ho gaya Bharat Nirmaan!

4. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

"Faith in democracy fell to 47% from 55% in 8 years" - and that includes me, and probably @roma as well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  5. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

People have lost faith in the institutions and politicians.

VIP, sob and arnabmit like this.
  6. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

And slowly and steadily they will loose faith in term/Idea "India"

And no one but but we are to blame

7. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I wonder if the people have actually lost faith in Democracy.

What they have possibly lost faith in the manner Democracy has been presented totally warped and opportunistically.oriented towards those who govern, have the clout, be it financial, economic or through family and social connection, the rampant loot and corruption that so far one associated with the average instruments of governance being the standard practice with those in high places who till now hid behind the shroud of being those who were chalking the health of the Nation!

And worst of all the total abdication of leadership and accountability.

Hopefully this catharsis will yield to happier times some day.

TrueSpirit and W.G.Ewald like this.
  8. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

it was fine for our colleague pmaitra in quoting me there

allow me to clarify by updating my present position ;- i had felt ( in the past ) that particularly AT THIS STAGE IN INDIA'S DEVELOPMENT a more totalitarian system would have been better, but since being on this forum for some time now , ( and reading all of your posts ) i now think it might have been horrific - especially looking at the still uncovered horrors of the communist rule in china and the continuing cruelty of the system there i have begun to question my own position

secondly given the diversity in india , it is a fairy tale to think that a totalitarian system could have been imposed on the people and this unlikely position could well in fact be a blessing

i have quoted ray-ji below as his view more accurately represents mine at this point in time - that democracy is a great concept but in practice unfortunately, etc etc .....

if we can fine tune the "leakages" out of the system - we will have a system which is good enough to get india to the very top !

within organizations eg DRDO ( only as an example , i hope im not being unfair here ) a little less "democracy" would be better for the sake of project management eg observing the rules and meeting time deadlines - so on a micro level, eg in organizations less democracy is better but at the national level let's try clean up the "democratic " system we have and that should be fine

my position is more or less identical to ray's :- more accountability, cut out leakages, cut out abuse of the system, more sense of responsibility and better leadership - those are the actual issues , never mind what we call it eg whether we call it democracy or whatever

9. dhananjay1

dhananjay1 Regular Member

The ruling political party is headed by a secretive figure who doesn't hold a post in the government. The whole party is groveling before her son and asking him to be the prime minister, just because he is her son. The senior members of the party are busy dribbling hate against Hindus. The PM is a nonentity that is not taken seriously by anyone. There is rampant corruption in every sphere of government. :rofl: I am not surprised if the figure is 4% instead of 47%.

TrueSpirit and VIP like this.
  10. angeldude13

angeldude13 Lestat De Lioncourt Senior Member

seriously speaking i've lost the faith in term india.i mean my thakur community are portrayed as villains in bollywood movies and those sh8tty stories.we are showed as villains even in the advertisements.
    on the other hand we send our kids to army to protect the nation and what do we get???

last thing i knew is that government took away our land and gave it to the st/sc's because they thought 62 biga would be enough for us.they passed a law which state that if a person hold more than 62 biga land then that land will be taken by the government.
    but they only took land from our village as ours is thakur majority and my grand father was an educated man who believed in that secular sh8t.village of muslims weren't even touched because of the reason i don't know.

so i think we thakurs should get some place like bigger rajasthan or something where we are not depicted as villains and made fun of.
    i know many of you will say that people make fun of sardars too but the thing is sardars get the due respect from the people(and also they are depicted as heroes:p) but on the other hand we don't get nothing.
    one of the two soldiers who were beheaded by pakhana army was a thakur from a village near to my maternal village.

so i think people are biased towards my thakur community.yeah i mean i would like to be secular but only if all of us are.people vote on the basis of there religion and caste.

i mean look at this ad

11. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

Maybe I m not in those 100-47%, success of a governance may not be dependent on the type of government but the the urge to rise as a nation or as an administration for a cause.
    Any other form of non democratic governmental structure is no guarantee to perform in a better way, yes rigid and strict utilisation of resource some times maybe referred as or by a martial law can improve the efficiency of the governmental machinery through a centralized and unification of powers thus producing some better output comparatively, but it is not seen as an efficient solution, the top authorities can go corrupted big time and the factor of power check would be missing.

It is not the democracy but the corruption, as it is not the government but the people at large, which is the real issue.

As I say it is not the political parties but the political culture that need a change.

A mere change maybe it a political party or the political system is not the solution unless the the general people, the common people, the mango people are ready for a change, without it every change would return to the current state or even lower in the long run.

So the problem is not democracy, and note democracy is the most successful form of governance in the current era,a popular one, a progressive one, a flexible one and as Abraham Lincoln said.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  12. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

when you have dynasty politics and same people all over the place, its an oligarchy not a democracy.

13. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Relax, remember Sholey. Every community feels same...We Patels already started to migrate to a new place called New Jersey.....Just kidding.....

14. Singh

I don't know folks were painting Rajputs as Villains ? You are tad too touchy.

In any case most of the Sardarji Jokes are cracked by Sardarjis themselves. They have a fantastic sense of humour.

TrueSpirit, Yusuf and thakur_ritesh like this.
  15. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

A democracy is one thing. A representative republic is something else. But a government making decisions based on polls is lunacy.

Mad Indian likes this.
  16. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Democracy (δῆμος (dêmos) "people" and κράτος (kratos) "power" or "rule") is nothing but mob rule, minus the outright thuggery and chaos. When "people" have the "power," these "people" get together and decide to loot the national coffers, (banks, mints, reserves, etc.). This is exactly what happens in anarchy as well. Similar things happened during the London riots or LA riots. The saving grace in a democracy is that people actually vote peacefully to loot from the national coffers and call it cool sounding names like "subsidies" and "benefits."

17. angeldude13

look at the movies of 80's and 90's they always show us thakurs as villains/filthy rapists :frusty:

did you even watched the video i posted.watch it it's only 30 seconds.
    and please tell me if this ad is funny or irritating???

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  18. angeldude13

i think our community should also protest like those muslims and other castes when them bollywood copy cat b8tches try to make fun of us in bollywood movies.

remember the movie of salman khan in which he called rajput as the born traitors :mad:

19. Singh

Confirmation Bias. And that ad was pretty good.

20. Tianshan

Tianshan Regular Member

i agree with this.

the end result is the same, the politicians loot the people. but in democracies at least the transition is peaceful and gives people a chance to blow off steam, the downside is that they may become too satisfied with this process, and not bother to look for further change.

TrueSpirit and pmaitra like this.
  21. TrueSpirit

TrueSpirit Senior Member Senior Member

Surprising that there are takers for military rule, as well. That too, across the divide...

I thought I was alone :)