F-18 Advanced Super Hornet

Blackwater

What changed with "advanced" version? Stealth containers? OK. Conformal tanks? OK. and it's over. The plane itself remain less stealthy.

we r looking for possible mmrca, not a replacement for F-22 raptor:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

200+ f-18 surper advance hornet will fit perfectly for another 30 yrs

Gessler

Country flag
A "split order" of MMRCA does not make sense for a country that hopes to develop a whole ecosystem for the fighter it buys. There will be ~200 Rafales eventually. And 0 Super Hornets.

cannonfodder

Country flag
I am just thinking allowed and I am no expert on defence tech but Rafael looks super expensive deal.

Present IAF inventory is enough to take care of Pakis but inadequate against Chinese. 36 Rafael AC does not make any difference against Chinese. If chinese attack, there is high chance Pakis will join them(south asia is screwed irrespective in that scenario; nukes are inevitable) but Chinese won't go for direct confrontation with India due to nukes. They like to meddle India through Pakis and other countries. Keep enemy engaged in minor conflicts works great atleast in AOE. :biggrin2:

One approach can be:
1. Let go NFU for nukes
2. Test MIRV, Agni-VI, K4/SLBM. Also I would suggest nuke testing but I figure people will say no to that.
3. Get F-18 or any other proven AC that can defend Indian territory well as good in deep strike capability(resistant to sanctions).
4. Force IAF to induct LCA.
5. Pour whatever we save in AMCA R&D and next versions of LCA and other defense products.

There is certainly risk involved in this approach including international outrage and tech ban. At the end of this if we are successful, India will be independent defence power house. The brief idea is to use nuclear umbrella for defence tech R&D and manufacturing. I admit in advance there may be lapses or better strategy to achieve it :biggrin2:. Underlying assumption is that TOT is not helping India much anyway and its best to break the jinx by going full throttle on R&D.

saagar943

I am just thinking allowed and I am no expert on defence tech but Rafael looks super expensive deal.

Present IAF inventory is enough to take care of Pakis but inadequate against Chinese. 36 Rafael AC does not make any difference against Chinese. If chinese attack, there is high chance Pakis will join them(south asia is screwed irrespective in that scenario; nukes are inevitable) but Chinese won't go for direct confrontation with India due to nukes. They like to meddle India through Pakis and other countries. Keep enemy engaged in minor conflicts works great atleast in AOE. :biggrin2:

One approach can be:
1. Let go NFU for nukes
2. Test MIRV, Agni-VI, K4/SLBM. Also I would suggest nuke testing but I figure people will say no to that.
3. Get F-18 or any other proven AC that can defend Indian territory well as good in deep strike capability(resistant to sanctions).
4. Force IAF to induct LCA.
5. Pour whatever we save in AMCA R&D and next versions of LCA and other defense products.

There is certainly risk involved in this approach including international outrage and tech ban. At the end of this if we are successful, India will be independent defence power house. The brief idea is to use nuclear umbrella for defence tech R&D and manufacturing. I admit in advance there may be lapses or better strategy to achieve it :biggrin2:. Underlying assumption is that TOT is not helping India much anyway and its best to break the jinx by going full throttle on R&D.
all fine except F18 :)
we dont need it its costly crap

Zebra

Country flag
^^
US and few of their allies are going for F-35.
all fine except F18 :)
we dont need it its costly crap
:lawl:

Prove it first. :facepalm:

And sir, it is F/A-18 E/F/G Super Hornet block 3 (Advanced Super Hornet).

Zebra

Country flag
A "split order" of MMRCA does not make sense for a country that hopes to develop a whole ecosystem for the fighter it buys. There will be ~200 Rafales eventually. And 0 Super Hornets.
No country (as the size of India and situation of India) use only one fighter jet aircraft.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
No country (as the size of India and situation of India) use only one fighter jet aircraft.
SU30
Rafale
Tejas

3 differents beasts. A heavy, a medium, a light.

What else?

Zebra

Country flag
^^
What you say about strategic bomber.................?

"Extra heavy duty" .............................!

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
slowly the world is coming out of 4th and 4.5 gen fighters why forcing India to buy them?

We need to understand that going for these machines will not help us in our own industry. Secondly when India has stuck to French then why to become confused and swing like pendulum?

Better to invest money on industry and jet eingine production. This time with little higher budget and realistic one.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
* Russian products are not cheap, as their supporters claim.

............................... I hope this will do for time being....!
Their cost price is okay but what GOI looks is not just cost but maintenance cost and how it will react to Indian climate.

We go for Russian technology not just because they give us technology (many times) but it is best suitable for Indian climate.

Other technologies are too sensitive to Indian climate and requires a lot of maintenance. This was one big reason for this.
Eg: Every mobile phone if you buy has a serial number and product code for every country which is not disclosed by the dealers. These codes are basically demonstrate technology difference. Even on embedded circuit. From voltage stabilizers to antenna as diff. countries have different criteria of electricity and telecom spectrum.

India has recently done deals with US because now India can slowly adapt to the maintenance of these technologies as now India has better Industrial base ans sophisticated systems. Otherwise still in longer term, Either Russian or French technology has come out to be almost fool proof for Indian topology.

You can debate and say, Pakis have got F-16's but you cannot compare it with India's because of the huge numbers of Indian aircrafts, huge man power, More logistic capability and more numbers of sorties. Hence more maintenance.

Zebra

Country flag
Their cost price is okay but what GOI looks is not just cost but maintenance cost and how it will react to Indian climate.
No, its not OK.

You have to calculate life cycle cost also.

We go for Russian technology not just because they give us technology (many times) but it is best suitable for Indian climate.
Other technologies are too sensitive to Indian climate and requires a lot of maintenance. This was one big reason for this. India has recently done deals with US because now India can slowly adapt to the maintenance of these technologies as now India has better Industrial base ans sophisticated systems. Otherwise still in longer term, Either Russian or French technology has come out to be almost fool proof for Indian topology.
For example.................. T-90.
Just like a perfect mess.

You can debate and say, Pakis have got F-16's but you cannot compare it with India's because of the huge numbers of Indian aircrafts, huge man power, More logistic capability and more numbers of sorties. Hence more maintenance.
Doesn't makes sense.

Huge number of aircrafts, huge manpower, more logistic capability has nothing to do with "more maintenance" .

Correct me...............more aircrafts, enough manpower, better logistic capability will help to reduce per aircraft maintenance cost.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles