F-16 supply to Pakistan to continue, says US

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
WASHINGTON: Despite all the hissing and spitting from both sides in course of a deteriorating bilateral relationship, the Obama administration has clarified that the United States is continuing to supply new F-16s to Pakistan and upgrading the existing fleet.

"Some media have reported a stoppage in the US-Pakistan F-16 program. These reports are not accurate. Neither Pakistan nor the United States has cancelled the F-16 program," a US official said on Thursday, contesting some of the virulent anti-US grievances published in the Pakistani press.

The official maintained that planned delivery of the last "new-buy" F-16 purchased by Pakistan is scheduled to arrive in Pakistan from the United States in late January, 2012. Several other F-16s purchased by Pakistan from the United States are undergoing mid-life upgrades and will arrive in Pakistan beginning in late January, he said, adding that deliveries will continue throughout this year and next.

The American assurance, mainly at the political level, came despite growing antipathy in the US military towards Pakistan for its alleged perfidy in the war on terrorism. The situation has been aggravated by the U.S hunting down and killing Osama bin Laden outside a Pakistani military cantonment in Abbottabad (which Pakistan perceived as a hostile act) and the recent border incident in which Nato troops killed 24 Pakistani soldiers, following which the Pakistani military has threatened to shoot down any US intrusion -- mainly with US supplied hardware.

This possibility -- of American military aid being used against US troops -- moved a decorated U.S marine to file a lawsuit, but the Obama administration appears unfazed by the prospect. As it is, there is a strong anti-American narrative in Pakistan where it concerns F16s (which Pakistanis see as a symbol of their military virility) because of the past history of Washington withholding supplies as part of nuclear-related sanctions. Evidently, Washington does not want to aggravate the mood just now.

This narrative of false grievance persists, with official Pakistani encouragement, despite experts pointing out that Islamabad knew full well it would be sanctioned if it crossed the nuclear threshold. The Clinton administration later reimbursed Pakistan for the stalled f-16, before its successor Bush regime agreed to resume supplies and also compensated with billions of dollars in military aid after 9/11. Arguments by US analysts and protests by New Delhi that the F-16 was not useful in the fight against terrorism and was mainly a weapon against India (besides the potential of biting the US itself) has not impressed Washington mandarins constantly striving to appease Pakistan.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-to-continue-says-US/articleshow/11377927.cms

p2prada

So, the 18 new F-16s are coming. What a revelation!:rolleyes:

This would mean they are still relying on new F-16 imports along with their JF-17 and FC-20 imports.

Country flag
These will be used for the nuke delivery platform?? Then reverseed engineered by China too bad Taiwan south Korea and Japan.

Blackwater

ammmmerica has gone bad.It's high time to stop all aids to pak. Pak needs danda, not a diplomatic solution

Country flag
And the US wants a strategic partnership with India!
How do US pacific allies (israel and NATO allies)feel knowing that China will be checking out the plane they spent billions on. During the Karachi port attack Chinese were checking out hawkeyes.

trackwhack

How do US pacific allies (israel and NATO allies)feel knowing that China will be checking out the plane they spent billions on. During the Karachi port attack Chinese were checking out hawkeyes.
I sometimes just cant understand what their strategists are thinking.

Country flag
There is no strategy except money. The Texas F-16 plant is suppose to close after this shipment. This was just done to delay the closing a political move by GWB for his home state.

Reactions: nrj

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
simple, they want to control all other countries under their feet. they want to be headmaster of the world. use Israel against iraq, use taliban against soviet/afgan, use pak against afgan/taliban, use pak againt india, use india against china, use korea/taiwan against china and so on.. they call it "balance of power in the region".. but their american dream is not going to last long. their hayday is over

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
U.S. strategists aren't stupid. They are giving aid to Pakistan because they want to contain Chinese influence in that country. Although the Paki gov't and the Paki Army are far more pro-China than pro-US (at least overtly), the fact is that Pakistan is more reliant on the United States than on China and as a result the United States has more influence than China in Pakistan.

As for India, you people are deluding yourselves if you think Washington gives a s*** what happens to us.

redragon

Country flag
And Indian keeps blaming China for supporting Pakistan only, As I point out many times, USA is the biggest Ally of Pakistan, Indian members keep ignoring this fact and dreaming USA is on the same bed with you, I bet your media won't use the same tone in reporting this like what they did when talking about China.

trackwhack

And Indian keeps blaming China for supporting Pakistan only, As I point out many times, USA is the biggest Ally of Pakistan, Indian members keep ignoring this fact and dreaming USA is on the same bed with you, I bet your media won't use the same tone in reporting this like what they did when talking about China.
The US did not give Pakistan nukes. They only conveniently overlooked China handing it to them on a platter.

And you have the cheek to come here and moan. How low do you guys stoop?

redragon

Country flag
The US did not give Pakistan nukes. They only conveniently overlooked China handing it to them on a platter.

And you have the cheek to come here and moan. How low do you guys stoop?
There is no a single govenment charging China for that, so your comment is neglectable, the fact as accepted by representatives of every country is: Pakistan developed it by itself.

But here I can show you rumour from another side: USA agreed Pakistan to have Nuke B.
That is a trade off between China and USA, India got the leeway from USA, Pakistan got it from China, and USA agreed, so me think USA was equal guilty. :rofl:, because to USA, the balance between India and Pakistan is also the top priority, :).

trackwhack

There is no a single govenment charging China for that, so your comment is neglectable, the fact as accepted by representatives of every country is: Pakistan developed it by itself.

But here I can show you rumour from another side: USA agreed Pakistan to have Nuke B.
That is a trade off between China and USA, India got the leeway from USA, Pakistan got it from China, and USA agreed, so me think USA was equal guilty. :rofl:, because to USA, the balance between India and Pakistan is also the top priority, :).
nice story funny man ...

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Firstly, who gives a damn about China or US. Secondly, we know they will support rogue and terrorist states for their own goals - what we have to do is make them conceive a self-goal. 9/11 was one such example, OBL was another.....we should feel happy as mullahs are getting stronger day by day and they can wreck havoc on both China and US. I know the usual arguments we hear, which goes as - 'India will suffer the most' or 'Genocidal mad mullahs will get Nukes and they will Nuke us' etc etc...Trust me with the state of affairs we have in India and the type of shameless GOI is in power, combined with Italian Rajmata and freaky Yuvrajs (Raul and Robert combo) planning to become PM and Coterie leader respectively,\; anything can happen to the country and its common people. The best solution/resolve for us is that some dumbass Islamic mullah Jihadi Bomb the shit out of US again (or even China for that matter) and we eat popcorns when all hell breaks lose on the failed state of islamic pakistan. Yes, we may suffer but we have to pay a price for our pussyassed foreign policies - some day or the other; hence, be it the day US Nukes pakis to stone-age with their godforsaken bigotry and Bedouin faith.

Last edited:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag

Chinese duplicity is mid boggling.

redragon

Country flag
Come on, Indian members, your gov declared building the Nuke all by yourself and Pakistani gove declared they did the same.
And there has been not a single government from other countries said otherwise, so stop thinking other countries want to trap you, don't brainwash yourself. There is no such conspiracy.
Fact is both Indian and Pakstani are smart people, you made the Nuke B by yourselves, period.
Don't use your imagination as a convenience excuse to blame China, :)

redragon

Country flag
To add on my previous post, even your dear democratically elected gov did not say it was China who gave Nuke B to Pakistan, you really should rest your case.

redragon

Country flag
One thing USA is better than China to Indian, the USA tried really hard to offer you some goody too, I don't think China can be that shamless, hahaha :rofl:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles