Experimental US hypersonic weapon destroyed seconds after launch

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Experimental US hypersonic weapon destroyed seconds after launch

WASHINGTON: A hypersonic weapon being developed by the US military was destroyed four seconds after its launch from a test range in Alaska early on Monday after controllers detected a problem with the system, the Pentagon said.

The weapon is part of a program to create a missile that will destroy targets anywhere on Earth within an hour of getting data and permission to launch.

The mission was aborted to ensure public safety, and no one was injured in the incident, which occurred shortly after 4 am EDT (0800 GMT) at the Kodiak Launch Complex in Alaska, said Maureen Schumann, a spokeswoman for the US defense department.

"We had to terminate," Schumann said. "The weapon exploded during takeoff and fell back down in the range complex," she added.

The incident caused an undetermined amount of damage to the launch facility, Schumann said.

It was a setback for the US program, which some analysts see as countering the growing development of ballistic missiles by Iran and North Korea but others say is part of an arms race with China, which tested a hypersonic system in January.

Riki Ellison, founder of the nonprofit Missile Defense Advocacy Alliance, said he did not think Monday's failure would lead to the program's termination. "This is such an important mission and there is promise in this technology," he said.

This Aug 25, 2014 photo shows the horizon from Cape Greville in Chiniak, Alaska, after a rocket carrying an experimental army strike weapon exploded after taking off from a launch pad in Alaska. (AP Photo)

He said officials aborted the mission after detecting a fault in the computers.

Anthony Cordesman, a defense analyst at the Center for Strategic and International Studies think tank, said the technology was best suited for use against smaller, less-developed countries with missiles.

"The United States has never assumed that these ... are going to be systems that you can use against a power like China by themselves," he said. "For a country like Iran or North Korea, they could be a very significant deterrent."

James Acton, a defense analyst at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, said the Pentagon had never been clear about the mission for the weapon, with some viewing it as an effective tool against terrorists and others seeing it as a counter to China or Iran and North Korea.

While hypersonic weapons are unlikely to be fielded for a decade, Acton said the fact that Washington and Beijing were both testing the weapons indicated there was a real potential for an arms race.

"I believe the US program is significantly more sophisticated than the Chinese program," he said.

The weapon, known as the Advanced Hypersonic Weapon, was developed by Sandia National Laboratory and the US Army. Mr Schumann said it included a glide body mounted on a three-stage, solid-propellant booster system known as STARS, for Strategic Target System.

In a previous test in November 2011, the craft had successfully flown from Hawaii to the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands, she said. On Monday, it was supposed to fly from Alaska to the Kwajalein Atoll.

Acton said no conclusions could be drawn about the weapon based on Monday's accident because the launcher detonated before the glide vehicle could be deployed.

Experimental US hypersonic weapon destroyed seconds after launch - The Times of India

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
This experiment should have been done in Pakistan since no Missile/Weapon tests fail whatsoever in Pakistan. :lol:

thethinker

Country flag
:D

Had this been India, foreign media would have :

1.Plastered this on front page

2.Self righteous folks from US would be quick to bash India and go back to the worn out "third world" India rhetorics

3.A talk show panel somewhere maybe on "news channels" like Fox/CNN would have few pseudo-liberals (with Mr.Coconuts like Bharara et al) debate India military program and bring in poverty and poor infrastructure as side topics

4.Topics of women safety and toilets would be included somewhere in the articles that report the launch failure

5.Lot of Pakis would have gone on an India bashing spree

HMS Astute

Every immature system has to pass the steps which include flaws, errors and failures. Even the test of subsonic cruise missile "Nirbhay" was a failure too.

I do not think we are in the position to criticise and laugh at US military technology. This super long range hypersonic weapon system currently under development is planned to be able to hit anywhere in the world within an hour. There will be more new different problems until the system is fully developed, matured and operational.

Please kindly let me know if India or any other country in the world has a plan or project with similar innovation and technology like this.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Progress is not only built on successes, but also failures.

This seems to be one direction that both USA and PRC are headed, to be able to hit targets far away, in a very short period of time.

Now, the most interesting bits of information, as to what is new in this system, will remain out of public domain, for obvious reasons of secrecy.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
On lighter note, Well i am trying to get the Astras and sastras. I am trying to get the Maha Pashupatam. But it is not so easy in this present time. It takes a very hard penance and I have to chant the mantra of the Maha Pashupatam and I should please Lord Shiva in order to get the Maha Pashupata Astra. I have to first earn enough money and choose the place to sit and start chanting. But one day I will get what I want.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
My post might sound mythological but there are DHANUR VEDIS WHO ARE IN THIS WORLD BUT ARE NOT IN THE PUBLIC WHO HAVE THE ASTRAS AND SASTRAS OF THE ANCIENT VEDIC ART OF DHANUR VEDA AND THEY WILL COME OUT WHEN THE TIME DEMANDS OR REQUIRES THEM AND WILL SAVE ALL THE INNOCENT HUMANS IRRESPECTIVE OF RELIGION, CASTE AND CREED.

no smoking

Country flag
Please kindly let me know if India or any other country in the world has a plan or project with similar innovation and technology like this.
Inida has shown its model of such kind of vehicle, but so far there is no much further progress.

Russia is doing their R&D for years, but haven't test their equipment yet.

HMS Astute

Inida has shown its model of such kind of vehicle, but so far there is no much further progress.

Russia is doing their R&D for years, but haven't test their equipment yet.
Got any source, name of the project, and reliable news etc?

And are you absolutely sure that other countries are also working on Advanced Hypersonic Weapon (AHW) that could hit anywhere in the world within an hour?

Conventional Prompt Global Strike Project

Last edited:

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Got any source, name of the project, and reliable news etc?

And are you absolutely sure that other countries are also working on Advanced Hypersonic Weapon (AHW) that could hit anywhere in the world within an hour?

Conventional Prompt Global Strike Project
Indias Project only one prototype existed further information unavailable to public domain windle tunnle testing and equipment in below link
Tarmak007 -- A bold blog on Indian defence: FUTURE STRIKE: India's hypersonic vehicle (HSTDV) ready for ground tests | Stage-separation & air-intake wind-tunnel experiments in Russia

India`s Hypersonic Test Demonstration Vehicle
Weapon and Technology: India`s Hypersonic Test Demonstration Vehicle

IISc wind tunnel tests hypersonic vehicles
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-hypersonic-vehicles/articleshow/33468164.cms

DRDO developing hypersonic missile
DRDO developing hypersonic missile - The Hindu

RUSSIAN AND CHINEESE

Russia, China, and America's Hypersonic Missile Race
Russia, China, and America’s Hypersonic Missile Race | The Diplomat

Testing of India-Russia Hypersonic Cruise Missile May Come in 2017 | Global Security Newswire | NTI

HMS Astute

Thank you. Is it similar to US's AHW that could hit anywhere in the globe within an hour?

I am talking about super long range hypersonic cruise missile or weapon system.

Brahmos II is hypersonic cruise missile with 300km range, so it does not fall into this "Prompt Global Strike" category.

Last edited by a moderator:

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Thank you. Is it similar to US's AHW that could hit anywhere in the globe within an hour?

I am talking about super long range hypersonic cruise missile or weapon system.

Brahmos II is hypersonic cruise missile with 300km range, so it does not fall into this "Prompt Global Strike" category.
Indian programe is in prototype designing phase only as per the knowledge available in public domain we did not tested it yet nor the Russian only Chinese tested it hope some Chinese members fill you in

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles