Exercise Iron Fist 2016

Superdefender

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...-at-pokhran/story-pfWsuepqYr0JPt5WXp81bK.html

As per report, LCA's fire was accurate and both the A2A and LGB were a hit, the miss were the Mirage's LGB and OSA SAM.
I don't remember LGB dropping from Tejas, but belive me. I had seen the R-73E AAM, fired from LCA, flies away just above the small parachute (like touching it). Proximity fuse didn't work because that AAM was n't close enough of the target. Means the flare was safely outside the blast radius.The reason they are stating it not a failure, is because of the fact, that in real world, you don't target a flare. I would rather say no AAM of any country can intercept (I mean come close) to mere flare. In combat you will face much bigger fighters. Looking at the distance from which R-73E missed that flare, I would safely conclude that if a JF-17 was to fly there instead of flare, R-73E must have hit that.

bennedose

I don't remember LGB dropping from Tejas, but belive me. I had seen the R-73E AAM, fired from LCA, flies away just above the small parachute (like touching it). Proximity fuse didn't work because that AAM was n't close enough of the target. Means the flare was safely outside the blast radius.The reason they are stating it not a failure, is because of the fact, that in real world, you don't target a flare. I would rather say no AAM of any country can intercept (I mean come close) to mere flare. In combat you will face much bigger fighters. Looking at the distance from which R-73E missed that flare, I would safely conclude that if a JF-17 was to fly there instead of flare, R-73E must have hit that.
Funnily enough, I was reviewing the Iron Fist 2013 LCA/R-73 images and even then the missile passed through and damaged the parachute and disturbed the smoke billowing from the flare. I will post a video some time.

bennedose

It seems like the IAF's target audience was not the people but the politicians, like you rightly noted. In their mind, as long as they impress the political bosses who foot the bill for buying more shiny, imported stuff, the purpose of the exercise is served, citizens be damned. Typical IAF.
Not IAF. Doordarshan habitual sycophancy

Rahul Singh

Country flag
What people seems to have missed that at Iron Fist Tejas displayed true multi role or Swing Role capability or so called Omni role capability by engaging an areal target with AAM, ground target with LGB and simulated recon by transmitting live video feed, all in single sortie.

You might wanna whine at DRDO for this and that, but that's unprecedented in IAF's history. That too by a fighter of this size which is yet to be awarded FOC.

Superdefender

Atleast IAF is telling that was a miss instead of a failure. Huh, what a relief!

Narasimh

Country flag

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Baas karo bhai HAL kitna jaleeel karoge.

its better to induct saab grippen may be in less price and time and with TOT,MOT,ROT,KOT etc etc

I know its difficult to trust in HAL but we have no option but to back the Tejas Team fully because as of now that is the only combat aircraft building agency we have.
Have faith that we will overcome these challenges eventually.. Running away and buying alternate aircraft is not going to help us.

As far as weapons drops are concerned, there are always chances of missing the target, that keeps happening with all the airforces around the world for n number of reasons but can be fixed.

pmaitra

Exercise Iron Fist 2016 - Indian Air Force Night Rehearsal

Good video.

A minor nitpick. That BM-21 Grad isn't exactly part of Air Force. It's arty. BTW, that BM-21 Grad footage seems to be from Malo-Rossiya. :)

upload_2016-3-22_0-0-41.png

su35

Country flag
If I am not wrong Garud are primarily trained for protecting Air Assets and taking enemy airfield or radar station, but in whole exercise they did COIN operation which is Para and NSG duties

Rahul Singh

Country flag
^^^ I don't think so. Commentator was speaking about air field assault with communication and Radar take down being primary objective.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles