Exclusive: Tata to unveil India's first indigenous 155 mm howitzer

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
[PDF]http://www.aviotech.com/pdf/Aviotech_Thought_Leadership_Series_-_Field_Artillery_Rationalisation_Mar30.pdf[/PDF]

@Sridhar anna's link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
T5-52

The weapon system is a 155mm, 52 calibre Truck-mounted Gun-Howitzer. The inherent indirect fire flexibility ensures that it can be employed in the traditional gun, howitzer and mortar roles. The weapon system has excellent tactical and road strategic mobility and has a range of 600 km without refuelling at speeds of up to 85 km/h.

The ordnance has been optimised for the 52 calibre 155mm ballistic system. The projectiles are the extended range type and provide an increased range and target effectiveness when compared with existing systems. Using base bleed projectiles, the weapon has a range of 42,5 km at sea level. NATO and other ammunition can be fired, after consultation with the supplier.

The system is powered by a 265 kW turbocharged diesel engine coupled to a 10-speed manual gearbox, and a 2-speed transfer gearbox. A central tyre inflation system is fitted, which allows for the inflation and deflation of the wheels, while both static and on the move.

A hydraulic system, driven by PTO's on the gearbox, supply hydraulic power for the deployment of the outriggers and the top-carriage hydraulics.

The system carries 27 on board projectiles and 26 on-board charges. A crew of four is needed to bring the gun into or out of action within 60 seconds. In the event that the power unit of the hydraulic system fails, another T5-52 can be used as a back-up system, enabling the crew to bring the T5-52 into action.

The T5-52 has an operating crew of four crew members, and two crew members to prepare and supply the ammunition. The elevating mass consists of the ordnance, the cradle with an integrated buffer system, and the ammunition handling and ramming system.

The ordnance consists of the monoblock barrel fitted with a double baffle muzzle brake, a swing and slide breech mechanism and an electrically activated firing mechanism. The Command and Control System, consisting of the Automatic Laying and Navigation System, Telecommunication System, Muzzle Velocity Radar System and Gun Management Computer are used to lay the gun for indirect fire.

A panoramic optical-mechanical sight is mounted directly to the trunnion, incorporating a compensation system for trunnion cant, which forms a backup for indirect fire. A telescopic sight for direct fire is mounted to the compensation system and gives a direct fire range of up to 3000m.

Denel Land Systems | Artillery - T5-52

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Great news. SP Art is a necessity for a successful Cold Start operation. Right now it seems Indian armored divisions seriously lack the necessary mobile fire support in case of an offensive into Pakistan.

Okie guys did some asking around and it seems like this gun was made in India( yes you read that right) the molds and other forging equipment was brought over from SA and was forged here at home under the guidance of DENEL engineers as well as the local SDRE TATA team. the barrel and much of the other metal bits can be made in bulk here now, what is still being imported is the fire control mechanism . though much of that has already been indigenised by TATA SED.
more as and when i can ferret stuff out.
SDRE TATA team :rofl: :lawl:

KS

Bye bye DFI
DENEL has found a way to get pass Indian blacklisting, they just transfer TOT to tata :desert: everyone is happy :humble: :becky:
Maybe the "ban" was instituted in the first place precisely for this ? :hmm:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I propose same thing for banned Isreali company. Give me TOT and i will provide indirect foot in Indian market.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Can anybody explain the difference between Mounted Gun system and the wheeled self propelled artillery ?

@sayareakd @Kunal Biswas

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I propose same thing for banned Isreali company. Give me TOT and i will provide indirect foot in Indian market.
I didn't know you made a billions as lawyer :D

Saar you need infrastructure ready. It costs billions for that.

Patriot

Country flag
I cant read who did the R&D of the gun? The photo seems to show foreign hand in development?

Anyone have any news?
GK! not only hand but also foreign Heads. Seems like pie is cooking,Do you smell it!!

venkat

kunal!!! Any idea why BHIM git shelved? is it because of denel black listing? Any revival plans?

Immanuel

Country flag
I hope this thing passes trials and is acquired asap, around 2000 of such guns would be nice somehow I think the proposed acquistion numbers seem low.

Blackwater

my doubt was right.

its the best way to introduce banned companies product in Indian army ..

give Indian tag:sad::sad::taunt::taunt:

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
kunal!!! Any idea why BHIM git shelved? is it because of denel black listing? Any revival plans?
Let me fill ya in DENEL got banned because of irregularities in the Anti-Material Rifle deal which was to be an outright purchase of the NTW-20 to be followed by licensed production of the same gun with the OFB, NOT because of any irregularities with howitzers. however given the myopic nature of our esteemed decision makers we ended up banning any PSU or other government owned entity from having any collaboration with any of DENEL's arms. This ban Thankfully did not extend to the Private sector provided that the Indian Partner was not found guilty of any wrongdoing and was the majority owber in a JV. this was the loophole explioted by TATA for the Howitzer development.
And also the Ashok Leyland -Rheinmetall partnership. Rheinmetall is banned by the GOI, same clauses as above.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Mounted Guns means, Simply Guns Mounted on trucks which have fast mobility and light to go almost anywhere..

Wheeled SPGH means, Gun system mounted on Armour vehicle on wheels..

Its confusing but these are not Military terms but marketing terms..

Can anybody explain the difference between Mounted Gun system and the wheeled self propelled artillery ?

@sayareakd @Kunal Biswas

Global Defence

New threads

Articles