Exclusive: Tata to unveil India's first indigenous 155 mm howitzer

Country flag
Denel is a huge organization, Only the branch attached to OFB / DRDO got banned not the arty area..
After 2006 any collaboration in howitzers with denel was reported to have stopped.
I like how the government kept everything silent until the end.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Sir, Gov was stopped from cooperating not private, TATA took the initiative..

L&T are cooking something similar with French..

-----------------------

Besides TATA is not fully under government control, It is quite powerful unlike HMT..

After 2006 any collaboration in howitzers with denel was reported to have stopped. I like how the government kept everything silent until the end.

Country flag
Sir, Gov was stopped from cooperating not private, TATA took the initiative..

L&T are cooking something similar with French..

-----------------------

Besides TATA is not fully under government control, It is quite powerful unlike HMT..
Israelis are also trying .

Parrot

Hi Everyone,

This is just amazing and great news. Its a big first for home grown technology - this is something we can be very proud of - an Indian company producing a 155mm howitzer indigenously- WOW! - Hats of to them, their team and our country.

"The Tata group is to unveil India's first indigenously developed 155 mm howitzer in New Delhi on Monday.

The 155/52 mm howitzer is mounted on an eight-wheeled Tata truck for enhanced mobility. The gun was developed by its defence subsidiary Tata Power Strategic Electronics Division (SED) this year. The 'mounted gun system' can fire a six-round salvo on a target 40 km away in less than three minutes"

This is a big step for us as a country and this will bring about a bright future of co-development between the Govt. and private sector and that too all indigenous.

Congratulations! Keep up the good work.:thumb:

arya

Country flag
good step by TATA

govt should motivate such effort

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Know what, this step by TATA will go a long way in Indian defence sector. Private companies will look for a willing partner or may be foreign firms looking for a pie in Indian market in any way possible will approach prospective Indian partners and come up with equipment, prototypes even if they don't have any formal proposal from the armed forces or the govt.

Indian private military industry will take off

arya

Country flag
Know what, this step by TATA will go a long way in Indian defence sector. Private companies will look for a willing partner or may be foreign firms looking for a pie in Indian market in any way possible will approach prospective Indian partners and come up with equipment, prototypes even if they don't have any formal proposal from the armed forces or the govt.

Indian private military industry will take off

yes bro you can say first important step

in my info there are few companies are on line like punjlloyd,L&T ,etc

anoop_mig25

Country flag
before counting chickens lets wait see if IA/MOD officials buy tata made howitzer

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
before counting chickens lets wait see if IA/MOD officials buy tata made howitzer
Not th point. It's the initiative and the risk that they have taken which is commendable.

Reactions: uss

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Fantastic way of getting in products of companies banned by the MoD. Ban all these companies, and the sheer size of order should force these companies to do ToT, and then Indian companies can lay hand on technologies that might otherwise not be easy to lay hand on.

If I am getting it right, I stand very impressed. One of the most easiest and quickest way of coming up with "home-grown" products.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
What I find it absolutely shocking about this story is that national defense can be put on the backburner by some corruption scandal that happened decades ago.

So all the best suppliers of howitzers in the world are accused of bribery and banned - so the Indian Army cant buy any new guns for last 20 years despite the need or the threats.

India is amazing - its like an "alternate reality" that is completely decoupled from any form of logic.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think India should look East and towards Singapore.

Singapore is critical to India because of the Straits of Malacca.

If we dither, then we will lose Singapore like we are losing Sri Lanka and Maldives!

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I cant read who did the R&D of the gun? The photo seems to show foreign hand in development?

Anyone have any news?

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Call it FDI!
Sir,

FDI, it can 't be.

Here is what must be happening. TATA has got access to technology here, the company giving access to the technology would have already walked away with handsome money in exchange of the tech. Further, each piece of this howitzer sold to the IA, the co. transferring tech would have a cut and quite possible for now the deal would have pretty much benefited the company which is providing the tech.

For TATA, they now have access to the tech which they can call their own, they can further develop the tech over a period of time, rights to sell this product under their brand name in the Indian market, and quite possible some sort of a back door nod from the MoD that they might get "x" number of order, else it looks at little pointless as to why would someone risk so much investment.

TATAs should stand to benefit if they get "x" number of order, a break-even should definitely happen and I am not expecting the prices to drop significantly, at least for the initial orders, and since they would have sneaked in into the IA market, they would definitely stand to gain more such orders in the long run. For India and the IA, the supplier changes, from foreign shores, it moves to a supplier within India, a more reliable option at the time of war, I would imagine.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Sir,

FDI, it can 't be.

Here is what must be happening. TATA has got access to technology here, the company giving access to the technology would have already walked away with handsome money in exchange of the tech. Further, each piece of this howitzer sold to the IA, the co. transferring tech would have a cut and quite possible for now the deal would have pretty much benefited the company which is providing the tech.

For TATA, they now have access to the tech which they can call their own, they can further develop the tech over a period of time, rights to sell this product under their brand name in the Indian market, and quite possible some sort of a back door nod from the MoD that they might get "x" number of order, else it looks at little pointless as to why would someone risk so much investment.

TATAs should stand to benefit if they get "x" number of order, a break-even should definitely happen and I am not expecting the prices to drop significantly, at least for the initial orders, and since they would have sneaked in into the IA market, they would definitely stand to gain more such orders in the long run. For India and the IA, the supplier changes, from foreign shores, it moves to a supplier within India, a more reliable option at the time of war, I would imagine.
Actually I was thinking the same. It may have a tacit nod from MoD with some numbers as the govt would not want to white list any banned company and invite fresh round of controversy. So yea they may have roped in TATA.
If true, the point to note is that the MoD preferred a private company and this while the DRDO is also working on a gun based on Bofors ToT.

All in all, good.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles