Exclusive: Made in India rifles to replace INSAS

salute

It's not that INSAS is bad,as we know It is built as per GSQR in the 90's. As per the doctrine of the 90's. If Excalibur is being chosen it only indicates that doctrine has not changed much, the defensive doctrine.

My only hope is that Excalibur-2 comes with adjustable buttstock and picatany rail on 4 sides, if rails come now accessories can come later.

I have no idea what Excalibur brings to the table that INSAS doesn't, Other than being 4mm shorter and full auto. appreciated if anyone can share the details.
exactly, government may not have any option other than adjust to excalibur what else,

excalibur is also old rifle which never made it to production whatever the reason,

only new thing is its full auto which insas dont have and what in being few mm shorter its a joke.

pmaitra

It's not that INSAS is bad,as we know It is built as per GSQR in the 90's. As per the doctrine of the 90's. If Excalibur is being chosen it only indicates that doctrine has not changed much, the defensive doctrine.

My only hope is that Excalibur-2 comes with adjustable buttstock and picatany rail on 4 sides, if rails come now accessories can come later.

I have no idea what Excalibur brings to the table that INSAS doesn't, Other than being 4mm shorter and full auto. appreciated if anyone can share the details.
From the pictures, there are a few things that come to mind.
  • They got rid of the suitcase carrying handle. This might be a slight weight saving.
  • The foregrip is more squarish. That might make it a bit easy to hold, although this has to be confirmed by someone who has used both.
  • The stock is foldable for all.
  • The magazine now is going to be 30 round. INSAS AR had both 30 round and 20 round magazines, but for some reason, INSAS AR was only issued with 20 round magazines while the INSAS LMG was issued with 30 round magazine.
exactly, government may not have any option other than adjust to excalibur what else,

excalibur is also old rifle which never made it to production whatever the reason,

only new thing is its full auto which insas dont have and what in being few mm shorter its a joke.
Please read the INSAS threads. This has been discussed many times over. The INSAS has full auto. It was the army who insisted on an INSAS without the full auto option. There are reasons for that. The full auto feature is not something that distinguishes INSAS from Excalibur.

Last edited:

Hari Sud

Country flag
whats so special about this excalibur rifle its just based on insas,
its just upgraded version of insas,
if insas was worst then its upgraded version is bad,
from worse to bad weapon.
Are you the expert or should be believe the COAS.

salute

Please read the INSAS threads. This has been discussed many times over. The INSAS has full auto. It was the army who insisted on an INSAS without the full auto option. There are reasons for that. The full auto feature is not something that distinguishes INSAS from Excalibur.
no asking is that whats so special about this excalibur which is based on insas,
its just insas with different stock or grip and few mm shorter, and full auto feature which insas also had as you said,

what army liked about this excalibur so much
if most of the things are same as insas except what mentioned above,

what excalibur has which insas didnt.

Last edited:

kaku

Country flag
no asking is that whats so special about this excalibur which is based on insas,
its just insas with different stock or grip and few mm shorter,

Not Army, but CAPF liked this.

pmaitra

its just insas with different stock or grip and few mm shorter,

Yes, I am also interested to know in detail what the improvements are, except what is visibly evident.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@Bhadra here is army chief accepting that mciws requirement were unrealistic .... Same can happen with frcv
That is very great of him ....so why cry over it.
FRCV is at RFI stage so respond to it .... and give it to Army by 2030. If you can not then say it by 30 July 2015..

Simple ... "Ka Kari Tarak brhawayin Sakha" ... from Ramayana ... means why waste time in arguments...

Just Do it ... do it now

salute

Yes, I am also interested to know in detail what the improvements are, except what is visibly evident.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INSAS_rifle#Kalantak_and_Excalibur

its says here just a variants of insas with
same specifications

Kalantak and Excalibur

Both are newer and lighter versions of the INSAS, Excalibur is an assault rifle designed for close quarter combat and light intensity engagements. The Kalantak was designed for close quarter combat and personnel defence roles. They both have foldable butts and picatinny rails to mount standard sights or opto-electronic instruments.

pmaitra

After seeing the video, one will have no idea what the Excalibur is. They are showing the INSAS, the Kalantank, the Excalibur, and the MINSAS. With such shoddy journalism, one should refer to DFI for more reliable information. They are also wrong about INSAS having no full auto capability.

pmaitra

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INSAS_rifle#Kalantak_and_Excalibur

its says here just a variants of insas with
same specifications

Kalantak and Excalibur

Both are newer and lighter versions of the INSAS, Excalibur is an assault rifle designed for close quarter combat and light intensity engagements. The Kalantak was designed for close quarter combat and personnel defence roles. They both have foldable butts and picatinny rails to mount standard sights or opto-electronic instruments.
Don't rely in this. Please read this post.

salute

After seeing the video, one will have no idea what the Excalibur is. They are showing the INSAS, the Kalantank, the Excalibur, and the MINSAS. With such shoddy journalism, one should refer to DFI for more reliable information. They are also wrong about INSAS having no full auto capability.
they are most reliable in indian conditions other than any foreign rifle thats must be the biggest quality,

otherwise excalibur and kalantak and minsas or msmc are just carbine or smg version of insas.

pmaitra

they are most reliable in indian conditions other than any foreign rifle thats must be the biggest quality,

otherwise excalibur and kalantak and minsas or msmc are just carbine or smg version of insas.
Apparently, you have not read the link I shared.

salute

Apparently, you have not read the link I shared.
got that after posting reply, :laugh:

its what like inbuilt flash suppressor,

but the first things range,accuracy,firepower ???

Last edited:

jouni

Interesting to follow your AR mess... such a simple thing being so difficult. My two cents: keeping bad metalwork and fit and finnish and picatinny rails are not gonna save the day.

pmaitra

Interesting to follow your AR mess... such a simple thing being so difficult. My two cents: keeping bad metalwork and fit and finnish and picatinny rails are not gonna save the day.
My two cents. The fit an finish of the INSAS 1B1 is just about the same as the fit and finish of the Finnish copy of the AKM, or the L-85.

Suggestions for improvement are welcome, but from those who are actually capable of doing things better than us. ;)

pmaitra

got that after posting reply, :laugh:

its what like inbuilt flash suppressor,

but the first things range,accuracy,firepower ???
With a shorter barrel, the accuracy will be less, but will be good for CQB. It is like the AK74U, which was used by the Soviet tank crew. Firepower will be same because that expansion chamber not only acts as a flash suppressor but allows for complete combustion.

salute

for first time agree with jouni,

drdo also must be replaced along with other things,

drdo cannot become modern era,

they keep doing things like its still 1980.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles