EVM Whistleblower Arrested, Intimidated by GoI

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by tarunraju, Aug 23, 2010.

1. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

Hari Prasad is a legendary cyber-security expert. He is known more for his extensive research to prove that India's electronic-voting machines (EVMs) can be tampered with outrageously easily. Not just the process of manipulating with the hardware of the EVM, but also research was done to show at what points in the election process is the EVM most vulnerable to tampering. You can watch Hari's videos (in Telugu) in this thread: http://www.defenceforum.in/forum/indian-affairs-politics/10738.htm

You can understand what he's trying to show.

What happened today was that the police broke into his house early in the morning, arrested him, and is framing him (WTF?) for illegally procuring an EVM to do his research on, and maintaining anonymous sources within the government, EC, and possibly ECIL. He was also intimidated by the police, and they pressurized him to end his work, name his sources, and "get out" of the issue. He says the cops are under tremendous political pressure to destroy his work.

The news was leaked to foreign media, and now it's making it to sites like Engadget.

E-voting whistleblower Hari Prasad arrested, taken to Mumbai for questioning -- Engadget

This will dent India's image, big time.

Here's his presentation:

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  3. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

One more proof to show that congress has become Bigger monster in its 2nd term . Its always been a monster in using state machinery to fulfill its political goals.

4. Rebelkid

Rebelkid Regular Member

i had been opposed to EVM's for a very long time..

5. Agantrope

Agantrope Senior Member Senior Member

May this is the reason why congress won with awesome majority and BJP bite the dust like ever. Am I telling any new story?

6. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

what about the conspiracy angle that others don't like our voting machines. (I am aware that they can be manipulated) but at the same time you have to applicate that EC of India has given open challenge to any one to show them if the machines can be manipulated and so far non has proven it.

BTW isnt that theft ???

7. Rebelkid

Rebelkid Regular Member

but that guy already proved it can be manipulated ... nothing is more dangerous for a country when votes of the people can be tampered with...

8. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

any system can be manipulated and fool, so what is new in this.

9. Rebelkid

Rebelkid Regular Member

fool ????

An EVM can't be manipulated but can be horribly misused, obvious difference..

10. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

When it comes to Corruption they have experience of generations . No other party can match it . They have deep routes and well oiled machinery . They were able to pull Tehalka even when they were not in power. It shows their capability at manipulating things . They can easily manipulate EVM . No system is foolproof.

11. tarunraju

Hari Prakash won that open challenge, he proved on live TV that EVMs can be manipulated with, he didn't steal an EVM, he was given one, at the time of his research, by EC.

EC didn't take it back, and is now pursuing his sources.

12. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Loosers are always whiners....

13. Agantrope

Agantrope Senior Member Senior Member

What a comedy in this is the he was given the EVM by the EC to do ethical hacking, but when he started BEL came in there and said "Who the damn can touch my property. This is IPR violation" and some blahss..... then they retrieved the machine from him

14. tarunraju

Yeah, watch those TV9 videos, you'll see that BS from EC. First it was overconfident that nobody could hack it. But when Hari outsmarted EC and hacked it in 15 minutes, EC turned its back and cried IP violation.

The hacking procedure was so simple, EC failed so hard, it wasn't even funny. Even my grandmother can manipulate with an EVM.

15. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

All you have to do is remove the party icons pasted next to the button and replace it with another. So people who press for BJP will be voting for Congress!! lol..

There was blog on this which seems to have vanished. Its very tramperable but so are paper votes.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  16. tarunraju

Order of party symbols is constant, and voters are made aware of them in advance. They'll know if someone did something that dumb.

17. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

And yet in Gujrat where the EVMs were Used, The BJP Wins, and Yet in Karnataka where the Congress was in Power too, the BJP Wins, the First South State to have a BJP Government. I trust the EC and the Govt more than the Whistleblowers, especially since the EC has accepted the challenge. Lets see what happens. This Tampering thing has been going on for a long time!

18. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

Now you tell me..lol.. :)

I was a voter too and i never knew that. Majority never knows that.

19. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

Sonofabitch! The Congeroos are stooping to new lows. And I liked them!

This is not going to sit down well with anybody.

Anyone have those videos where Hari Prakaash proved the EVM's could be manipulated? That'd be worth a see, eh?

20. tarunraju

They're in the thread I linked to.

Ahmed, please. Firstly, choice of mode of elections is in EC's hands, and Bongress won't be so dumb as to make EVM manipulation that obvious. It's called "anti-compeition" or maintaining a constant competition ratio (or market-share). Look it up.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  21. Rebelkid

Rebelkid Regular Member

There must be an investigation in this matter....ITs worth it...I doubt it can be off without govt. influance..