Europa Universalis III

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I got the game Europa Universalis III a couple months ago and its been occupying most of my free time since then. Basically, the game lets you play as any country in the world that existed between 1399 and 1821, and guide its development. After a brief test game as 17th-century Russia, I started my first full-length game as the Vijayanagar Empire.

The political situation in India in 1399. Vijayanagar (the light blue kingdom in South India) is just one of many regional powers, but its production of valuable spices for European markets gives it a decisive economic advantage. The most powerful Indian state is the Delhi Sultanate (light green), but after being ransacked by the Timurids (red) in 1398, it has entered a period of decline.

India in 1709. I have unified the subcontinent, creating Hindustan. I have by far the largest economy in the world and also one of the largest armies and navies.

The Hindustani Empire in its full glory. Light green=territories directly administered by Hindustan (Hindustan proper, Madagascar, Horn of Africa, Qatar, Indian Ocean islands, Sabah, parts of Malaysia and Indonesia, and Australia). Dark green=Hindustani vassals (Burma, Thailand, Vietnam).

A.V.

I played the earlier version few years back , still dosnt beat the civilization or rise of nations genere

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I played the earlier version few years back , still dosnt beat the civilization or rise of nations genere
I agree, civ is stil the best (well I wouldn't be much of a 'civfanatic' if I said otherwise lol :D).

SHASH2K2

Rise of Nations is stil the best strategy game as of now. NO other game comes near to it .

Tronic

I agree, civ is stil the best (well I wouldn't be much of a 'civfanatic' if I said otherwise lol :D).
Having played all from 1-5, I like Civ 3 the best.

ps: I also play EU3, and I have modded mines to be an unlimited time game, enabling you to play beyond the 19th century, albeit without the technological advancements of the time.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Agree with this. Civ 3 Conquests in particular is very nice. Civ 2 is also a very good game.

ps: I also play EU3, and I have modded mines to be an unlimited time game, enabling you to play beyond the 19th century, albeit without the technological advancements of the time.
Hmm, I usually get bored by the late 18th cent. anyway, and by that time I've pretty much accomplished what I've wanted to do...

What are your favorite nations to play as? I have yet to play as any Western European states.

Tronic

Hmm, I usually get bored by the late 18th cent. anyway, and by that time I've pretty much accomplished what I've wanted to do...
Thats true, the game by this time does get boring, as I either get busy taking more and more land, and than eventually fighting revolts and trying to keep the empire from breaking apart internally. Though, I like to play as Punjab, therefore, I end up getting a very late start, so the extra time helps.

What are your favorite nations to play as? I have yet to play as any Western European states.
I usually play as Rajputana or Punjab. I have also played as the Delhi Sultanate but the Timurids are a pain in the ass, and later when you extend to Kashmir and beyond, the Oirote Horde is another headache. I usually play Rajputana or Punjab and expand southwards, and try to reach the ocean as early as I can.

Phenom

Agree with this. Civ 3 Conquests in particular is very nice. Civ 2 is also a very good game.
Sacrilege :shocked:

How could anything even compare with Civ IV, especially BTS. Civ 3 and 2 were good, but not as good as 4.

Civ V was a huge disappointment though.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Last edited:

SHASH2K2

Nukes use to fly when even 1 soldier of mine was killed.
I am a pro and play only Nomad when I play it online. You never get to nukes unless its dimplmacy game. In team games maximum anyone could reach is age 4 .

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I usually play as Rajputana or Punjab. I have also played as the Delhi Sultanate but the Timurids are a pain in the ass, and later when you extend to Kashmir and beyond, the Oirote Horde is another headache. I usually play Rajputana or Punjab and expand southwards, and try to reach the ocean as early as I can.
Why does Rajputana have the Sikh flag :shocked:

My current game is as Songhai (a native African power). There's nothing more enjoyable than starting as a technologically backwards underdog, and then Westernising and eventually thrashing the Europeans using their own technology and troop types.

Tronic

Why does Rajputana have the Sikh flag :shocked:
A lot of flags are messed. Rajputana has the Sikh flag, and Punjab has the Rohilla/Rampur flag. :noidea:

Sacrilege :shocked:

How could anything even compare with Civ IV, especially BTS. Civ 3 and 2 were good, but not as good as 4.

Civ V was a huge disappointment though.
Yes, I mostly played Civ IV BTS, since civ 3 started to test my patience, taking too long between turns. However, I really enjoyed this one mod on civ 3, I forget its name; where play on an Earth map during the cold war. Civ IV simply couldn't match civ 3's map scales and cities, which made playing earth maps on civ 4 a lot more unrealistic and un-proportionate.

I started by playing the board game Risk. I am old.

Almost forgot, on a smaller scale, Tactics was a great board game and the current version, Tactics II is available.

Tactics (game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tactics II | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

(Actually smaller scale game but played on a larger scale map, to be correct,)
You will enjoy Hearts of Iron 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearts_of_Iron_III

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I am a pro and play only Nomad when I play it online. You never get to nukes unless its dimplmacy game. In team games maximum anyone could reach is age 4 .
I think i will try to play online aswell.

But i have pirated game..can i play online ?

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I started a game as Bihar. It was actually more difficult than I expected; Vijayanagar had expanded into Maharashtra and was allied to Rajputana and Gondwana, so I had to fight a three-way war. But after Vijayanagar collapsed the political situation became much more stable. Now I control most of North India and I have Orissa and Manipur as vassals.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles