Euro cup 2012 Semifinals : Spain vs Portugal

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Who is going to win ?

I want Portual to win :D

===========

Wednesday's Euro 2012 semifinal is simple for the neutral, right?

In one corner Spain, whose tiki-taka approach has been seized upon by soccer aficionados keen to show brains, not brawn, wins football matches.

In the other corner Portugal, a side supposedly built around one man— Cristiano Ronaldo—who the same aficionados would decry as: Yes, a brilliant player, if we must, but also a preening personification of all that's slightly sickly about soccer today.

Except"¦ no. It's a fickle world, and some of those aficionados are starting to appreciate that tiki-taka, for all its technical excellence, is a bit dull. At least, unless it's Barcelona producing it, and thus also incorporating Lionel Messi. Unfortunately, Messi's an Argentinian.

And that leaves this Spanish side metronomically passing its opposition, and many fans, into submission. Their last collectivist victory, 2-0 against France, brought to mind less the flashing flair of the matador, more the boa constrictor slowly crushing the air from its hapless victim. They'll look to do the same to Ronaldo on Wednesday, then Portgual.

Portugal, by contrast, is dependent on speedy, thrilling breaks intended to get the ball to its captain as quickly as it can. Against the Czech Republic Ronaldo was a fascinating figure. He moved from a picture of frustration to an inspirational leader, hitting the woodwork twice. Then it appeared—just for a moment—that he was fading.

It was only a moment he needed.

Suddenly springing to life in the 79th minute, he moved from dejected walking pace to full flight in two paces, and leapt across a defender to score a brilliant winning goal. It was a lightning bolt of nous, strength and skill. From a match that won over many doubters to Portugal, it was a moment to convince all but the most determined.

Some may now root for the Portuguese and their talented captain. But first he'll have to get the ball from those Spaniards. And, as is the nature of things against the World Champions, a team effort towards that apparently mundane task may be the decisive factor, before we can even factor in Ronaldo's potential for brilliance.

Euro 2012 Preview: Spain vs. Portugal — online.wsj.com — Readability

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
:portugal:

either Torres or Ronaldo is gonna get trolled tonight ... :taunt:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Portugal needs to win ! They deserve it.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
I used to support Spain even before won the Euro or WC last time. I always liked their passing football. In WC they mesmerised everyone with their passing. But that cant be said this time. Those passes which used to slice open the opponent's defence are missing. Just back pass- square pass and a lot of mispasses that I can see now. Only the Germans have revolutionised their game- they have taken the cream of Spanish style and mixed it well with their pace.

However , today Spain is favourite. I think Iniesta is a better player than Ronaldo.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Spain winning euro cup as manc said would be expected and boring.

Portugal is a dark horse, and Portugal in the finals would make it interesting.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Playing heart of courage for the team entrance

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Portugal's body language is weak or am I imaging stuff ?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I am imaging, Portugal is uber aggressive.

indian_sukhoi

I rather prefer to see Portugal winning that watching Spain boring game again in Finals

Hope busquests win nothing

Sabir

DFI TEAM
The final was not boring....Spain just reserved their best game for the final..............

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
^^ tell that to the azzurri supporters

Global Defence

New threads

Articles