Eurasia Review: Tamil Nadu is becoming a political hot spot

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by kayal, Sep 27, 2012.

1. kayal

kayal Tihar Jail Banned

Tamil Nadu’s Angst Over Sinhalese: The ‘Why’ Factor - Analysis Eurasia Review

Tamil Nadu is becoming a political hot spot for notorious reasons. While making any policy decision on Sri Lanka, New Delhi seems to underestimate the popular sentiments of Tamil Nadu and overlooks its undercurrents. The mainstream media too presents it as a periphery issue. For example, when fishermen are attacked in the Gulf of Kutch or elsewhere by the Pakistani Navy, the media reports it as ‘Indian fishermen attacked’, but if the same incident happens in the Palk Strait with the Sri Lankan Navy, they are referred to to as Tamil Ndau fishermen. Are they not also Indians? If the current political trend in Tamil Nadu over the Sri Lankan issue, in which anti-governmental sentiments are overwhelming, is not addressed with greater sensitivity and an inclusive approach, it will slowly succumb to ultra Tamil national forces that are awaiting an opportunity to revive the separatist movement.

I personally take offence to the phrase "separatist movement"

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2012
    HeinzGud likes this.
  3. opesys

opesys Regular Member

Re: Eurasia Review Tamil Nadu is becoming a political hot spot for notorious reason

Sri Lankan Tamilians issue is going on decades now. In all these years what has the so called saviors of Tamilians like you have done really ? It is well known the central govt is not going to do anything, the central govt is not going to do anything for anyone. It is utter foolishness to think that the central govt does not care only about only Tamilians.

Now let's about the TamilNadu state govt and the saviors of Tamilians like you! In all these years how many schools, colleges, hospitals were built for Tamilians in Sri Lanka ? Don't tell me there was no fund for even building schools and colleges! I won't buy that! LTTE had money to buy sophisticated weapons! Why haven't the Tamilians in Lanka become self reliant there ? Why do they have to keep relying on Tamil Nadu/India ? Tamilians in Lanka depending on India/Tamil Nadu for a few years in understanble! But for this long ?? really ?? If they had built some good schools, roads, hospitals and given good education to Tamilians there things would have been much different now. I know it's not that easy as I am talking but atleast an effort should have been made!

The problem is people like don't want to solve this problem. If the problem gets solved then there will be no jobs for people like you! Where will people like you get the fake adrenaline rush and feel good about yourself! Not all but most people like you somehow fail to grow/flourish in the society in the conventional sense. With so much of competition these days if people fail to achieve something in life then they are prone to calling themselves "saviors" and start all sorts of drama... Central govt has done nothing for anyone..it is given..now what have you guys done constructively so for ? Something that has made the lives of Tamilians there self reliant ?? Nothing! You guys need some sort of an identity after sucking at everything in life... and the identity that you guys pick up is "Saviors"!

Now let's talk about the Fishermen issue! How much of clear data is collected regarding the fishermen shooting ? Did Indian fishermen cross the international boundaries accidentally or was the act of Lankan Navy deliberate ? If the govt is not doing anything what has you guys done ? Why not take the media along with the fishermen and air it live to the people. Exposing acts of Lankan Navy to the whole public can have a different effect altogether. Govt will have no options but to act. What about Tamil Nadu state coast guards what do they do when Lankan Navy shoots fishermen ? For so many years the TN govt was/is all ally of the Central govt. If Central govt has done nothing then Tamil Nadu MPs are also responsible for whatever is happening! Why don't TN MPs threaten the Central govt to withdraw support if they don't act or even withdraw support ? See people like you don't want to solve this problem!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    Raj30 likes this.
  4. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Re: Eurasia Review Tamil Nadu is becoming a political hot spot for notorious reason

1) First, Tamil Nadu, as a state in the Indian Union, cant unilaterally indulge in reconstruction efforts in another country. So your point of we not building enough schools, roads etc dont hold water. The only thing we can do is try to pressure the Central Govt to do something, which by the way is not forthcoming. Or maybe you can suggest some 'alternate arrangements' and we will not bother you guys with the Lanka card anymore.

2) People there first want justice, accountability for crimes committed and everything you mentioned comes later.

3) The Lankan Govt/Army had an emergency state declared in the Tamil areas that were withdrawn only recently And the Tamils there had virtually no civil,political rights to do anything that you had suggested. Perhaps you dont know what it entails living under emergency under the thumb of the Army that had just massacred them enmasse.

4) Regarding the fisherman issue, first reclaim Katchatheevu from the Lankans which was illegally transferred to them in the first place and then the issues of border crossing etc would not arise.

5) Regarding the inaction of the Tamil Nadu coast guard - there is no such thing as the Tamil Nadu Coast Guard. There is the Indian Coast Guard under the Defence Ministry. The Coast Guard just has stations in TN. It is not accountable to the State Govt..but rather to the Central Govt. So again the fault is not here.

6) The news channels based out of the Hindi heartland and Delhi,Mumbai consider Aishwarya rai going extra fat as "Breaking News" but wont have air time for Tamil fishermen being killed by the neighbours.

7) I agree that MPs from TN, especially the DMK wallahs who are a part of the ruling coalition are also responsible for the fiasco.

5. opesys

opesys Regular Member

I don't disagree on what has happened and it is sad.What I want to understand how LTTE was able to smuggle sophisticated weapons under the nose of Lankan army and even store it but was not able to do anything else ? I understand it is difficult to live under the thumb of an Army but my question is what effort was made even a little bit to do something constructive ? Was there a plan at all ? Atleast on papers was there a plan to make the Tamilians there self reliant ?

What ever has happened has happened but why now act foolish by asking for justice at this moment when they are malnourished and when they are having difficulty in living a normal life ? Something can definitely be done to at-least first to make them stand on their legs! Make them self reliant and then take appropriate actions!

If Tamils MPs are also responsible then how is this a India vs Tamil Nadu issue ? What meaning does separatism has in this ?

HeinzGud likes this.
  6. kayal

kayal Tihar Jail Banned

Mr-Mrs-Miss Opesys,

You cannot build schools or feed people when the Sri Lankan gov and army stop you.

A British charity sent some wheel chairs fre to injured Tamils in 2010. SL held it for monthys in colombo harbor. Then told the charity that it has to pay import taxes and also also styorage fees for those months at the harbor. That was more than the price of the wheel chairs. Have you ever hear of import taxes on humanitarian aid?

This is just one example

7. opesys

opesys Regular Member

how much import tax was paid for the weapons that LTTE had ? I am not questioning why they had weapons but is only weapons that they could get hold off?
    There was time when large part of Europe was supporting Tamils there! You are still saying no re construction work was possible ?

8. KS

1) LTTE had a decently organized government - yes government - running in the Tamil areas and that included a functioning banking system,customs and taxation.

2) When you are in war, continually being attacked by the enemy, the first thing you think of is defence and weapons. Not schools.

3) Maybe the Tamils think that justice and dignity is more important than food. I cant exactly speak for them. But dignity/honor is one of the most important concept in the life of Tamils. So I take it that way for them too. And moreover if you let go of the perperators now, they will be let off forever.

4) Because even if the state MPs fail, the Central Govt has a bound responsibility to safeguard the rights of its citizens. You cant give the excuse that since 18 MPs failed, hence the fault is not on us. It becomes a India vs TN issue when insensitive jerks all over India, including the Central Govt,, preach to us, that in the light of some mythical strategical considerations, we are giving off the Tamil fishermen as a blood payment to appease the Sinhalese.

nirranj, maomao and panduranghari like this.
  9. opesys

opesys Regular Member

I am not saying only TN is responsible for this. My point is they are equally responsible for this fiasco ! One gets elected as a MP to represent the people and to take care of them ? no ? Not just as MPs, What is Chidambaram doing ? He can get any Cabinet position he wants other than PM post. This is more than enough to take responsibility and put pressure on Lanka. Why he did not do that ? He is Tamilian right ? Again how is this Tamil vs India issue ? when Tamilians itself don't care then how dare you brainwash the innocent young Tamil kids saying rest of India is only responsible for it ?

Are you saying LTTE leaders were all perfect ? Are you telling me LTTE leaders had no differences amongst themselves ? LTTE leaders were also power hungry! everybody knows that..there was politics inside LTTE gang too...they had quite a few golden opportunities to set things straight! when LTTE leaders screwed the opportunities how is it not the fault of Tamilians also (along with the Central Govt fault for other policies?)

Why are you guys brainwashing young innocent Tamil kids by saying it's the fault of only non Tamilians ? Why not show the mistakes that Tamilians did and are doing along with the faults that non Tamilians are doing ?

10. KS

1) This is a very cynical approach taken by you and we would have been faulted in either case. Now we are being blamed for not acting enough and had we acted, say all MPs had resigned from their posts, we would have been accused of being parochialists, regionalists, chauvinists, Tamil supremacists, people who dont care for 'national interests' etc. And if Chidambaram had done anything you guys would be the first to criticise him saying, "he is the Home minister for all India, not just Tamil Nadu". Dude, I have been here, see enough people's views to understand how the game is played.

2) In interaction with neighboring countries, it is the Central Govt that is responsible for any action and not the respective state Govt and so the Central Govt has the lion size of the blame for what happened and for what is happening. The effect of state govt/MPs is minimal limited to protests etc.

3) If you think Tamils dont recognize the cynical approach taken by certain MPs you are mistaken. But their fault pales in comparison to the blunder of the Central Govt.

4) LTTE leaders were not perfect..infact they were far from it. But still they were a better option than the Sinhala establishment to the Lankan Tamils.

5) We fault the Central Govt mostly not for aiding in defeating the LTTE, but for turning a blind eye towards the wilfull massacre of the civilians by the Lankan army which the Indian Govt was in a position to stop.

6) No one is brainwashing anyone. If you dont want that to happen, better listen to our concerns and take actions which will make sure no such propaganda gains ground.

11. kayal

kayal Tihar Jail Banned

LTTE is the most honest group. Prabakaran did not have a foreign bank account. He did not send his wife and children abroad to live in luxury. They all died in the final days. Except for his 13 year old son, all in his family fought in the front lines. In fact his eldest son Charles lead the final offensive knowing very well he would die. That is what he wanted.

LTTE commanders never left the fighters in battle and escape when surrounded. Only one did. Banu. He was arrested for held in jail. He begged that he be allowed to participate in the final battle and die as a soldier. His wish was granted.

One anti-LTTE group leader said. Anyone who steal money from is punished however high he is in LTTE. Even Thilakar who headed international operation was asked to come to Eelam and stand trial. Did not hear from him for years. But after a deecade he was a member of a foreign delegation. Seems he was punished and forgiven

12. KS

Opesys, this issue has been discussed to death in many threads. So instead of asking the same questions once again, browse the threads and you will get your answer..i.e., if you are really looking for an answer and not just arguing for the sake of it.

13. KS

Wrong...they had defectors like Karuna as well. Basically the North vs East issue was sucessfully utilized by the Sinhalas to weaken the fight. The defection of Col.Karuna was a body blow to the movement. And LTTE was no extra-ordinary,divine movement. They had their share of follies as well. The most important being not agreeing to a ceasefire and getting an autonomous province but insisting on a completely independent Eezham.

maomao likes this.
  14. kayal

kayal Tihar Jail Banned

Karuna was dismissed from LTTE because he allegedly stole from LTTE and refused to come to HQ to stand trial. He wanted the TE Police Chief and finance Chief and Intelligence chief dismissed. Prabakaran refused. Only then Karuna fled liberated Tamil area and went to Colombo.

15. kayal

kayal Tihar Jail Banned

>> They had their share of follies as well. The most important being not agreeing to a ceasefire and getting an autonomous province but insisting on a completely independent Eezham.

Do you really think Indian/Lanka would allow an autonomous Tamil region in Lanka? Once LTTE surrender weapons they would be hunted down and no self rule for Tamils. Only solution is independent Eelam. May be that has to wait after Tamil Nadu.

16. opesys

opesys Regular Member

Tamilians are the Central govt now! They are part of coalition! It means they are ruling India now! Atleast as far as I can tell anyone whom I have met in India supports Tamilians in Lanka! I am talking about common people! Now where does the question, "...we would have been accused of being parochialists, regionalists, chauvinists, Tamil supremacists, people who dont care for 'national interests' etc." come now ? Majority of the people in India are pro Tamils... The only people who are not interested are politicians! Including Tamil politicians! For them money comes first and then everything else!

Why are making so many excuses ? I would have appreciated if alteast on papers tamil MPs had a plan to divert India's foreign policy favouring Tamils in Lanka ? Is there any ?
    I am not putting the blame on Tamilians only! I am saying there are corrupt people in TN too like the rest of the India! So this is not a question of India vs Tamilians rather this Corrupt people vs Rest of India! Don't put the 100% blame on non Tamilians!

17. opesys

opesys Regular Member

If you think that was what was Lanka's intention to hunt them down! then what makes you think after forming a separate Tamil Eelam Lankan army would have kept quite ?

18. opesys

opesys Regular Member

I see the same excuses in all the threads!

19. kayal

kayal Tihar Jail Banned

20. KS

No, they should have opted for an autonomous province with the provision to maintain the existing defences under the auspices of the UN or something like that. The LTTE became overconfident after the victory in Yazhpanam battle and that was also a reason for their final defeat.

21. KS

Those are not excuses. Those are the damn reasons. And the mentality to call them excuses is what fuels the feeling. And that you have not understood that very basic thing, but insist we stop brainwashing is downright ironic.