Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf's estimates sound about right. I do not see any reason why India cannot produce 500+ nukes by 2020. India already has enough fissile material for that. Whether India will make them or not, will be a political decision.
PM, in the first part of my article I wrote about just that. How much fissile material we have based on plutonium and uranium stockpiles and both enriched weapons grade and reactor grade.

The second part is what convinces me of the numbers of nukes we may make. Missiles. That is where the political decision has been taken. It will not make sense to make so many missiles and MIRV missiles and SLBMs without tipping them with nukes.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The numbers that you've presented are convincing. It is said that numbers do not lie. In all probability, you are more correct than wrong.

Please write something about your thoughts on the supposed Surya programme too.
Surya program if at all will be an extension of the Agni V. I already have given my thoughts of what the A5 is. It is 8000 km range and I have given my reasons for it. If India does go for a 12,000 km range Surya, then I think it will be at the expense of A5 which will then serve as an interim. I don't think it will have any impact on the number of nukes we will need to stockpile.

Please note, India has enough to make over 2000 bombs today itself. But we make only that many warheads as per the current situation and weapons delivery platforms.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
It is not about the willingness to produce nukes. It is based on need. I have no doubt India could have that numbers if the need is there.

For deterrence purpose, i doubt you will need that many. There is no immediate threat of nuclear strike on India. Deterrence has no meaning past a certain number.

India dont have an offensive nuclear doctrine. End of story.
Right. That is why India has limited the number of nukes in its arsenal.

France has 300 plus. UK has 200. What threat perception exists for them? Chinas nuclear arsenal is anybody's guess though they claim to be less than UK which does not appear right given the number of missiles in its arsenal.

India does not have an offensive doctrine. But what is required for defense has to be reviewed repeatedly based on what your enemies are doing.
China has a growing missile arsenal which means if it launches a first strike, India has to have enough to strike back.

Doctrine changes from time to time. India has already moved from no first strike to no first strike on non nuclear states.

ice berg

China has a growing missile arsenal. That is right. However they are conventional missiles.

It makes no sense lying about your nukes for deterrence purpose. On the contrary, the very purpose of deterrence is make your enemy think twice. Thus saying that you have less nukes than others dosnt make sense unless it is true.

They never mated their nukes.Not even during the height of the cold war. That should give you an hint.

Further more. They never do patrols with nukes on their subs. That should give you another clue.

Judging Chinas nuclear capacity based on their missile arsenal is plain wrong.

And for the last time. China dont have enough nukes for a first strike. Only US and Russia.

Of course no one can predict the future. However I very much doubt that China and India will move to a first strike doctrine.

They are sane players. In a nuclear exchange there is no winners. The decision makers in those two countries realised that for a long time ago.

Regarding your last sentence, it is pure bull and you should know it.

There was/is no need to use nuclear strike on non nuclear states. Period. The conventional arsenal of India is more than enough to deter non nuclear players. The message was for Pakistan.

The doctrine if-self never changed. To change it, will mean a change of deployments,infrastructure upgrade, massive upgrade in delivery systems.

You think Pakistan wouldnt notice and acting according already?

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
China has a growing missile arsenal. That is right. However they are conventional missiles.

It makes no sense lying about your nukes for deterrence purpose. On the contrary, the very purpose of deterrence is make your enemy think twice. Thus saying that you have less nukes than others dosnt make sense unless it is true.

They never mated their nukes.Not even during the height of the cold war. That should give you an hint.

Further more. They never do patrols with nukes on their subs. That should give you another clue.

Judging Chinas nuclear capacity based on their missile arsenal is plain wrong.

And for the last time. China dont have enough nukes for a first strike. Only US and Russia.

Of course no one can predict the future. However I very much doubt that China and India will move to a first strike doctrine.

They are sane players. In a nuclear exchange there is no winners. The decision makers in those two countries realised that for a long time ago.

Regarding your last sentence, it is pure bull and you should know it.

There was/is no need to use nuclear strike on non nuclear states. Period. The conventional arsenal of India is more than enough to deter non nuclear players. The message was for Pakistan.

The doctrine if-self never changed. To change it, will mean a change of deployments,infrastructure upgrade, massive upgrade in delivery systems.

You think Pakistan wouldnt notice and acting according already?
Classic Chinese bluff that the world does not buy anymore. Are you saying that you are going to use conventional warheads on all the DF 21s targeted on India?

Ok let me assume that yes they are all conventional warheads. They fire 20 missiles at Delhi with high yield conventional explosives that kills 100,000 people. Do you think India will not go nuclear?

Strategies evolve over the period of time.

ice berg

Sigh, for the last time. China has a non first use doctrine. DOCTRINE.

Ask some of your country man what a military doctrine is. Some of them are in fact in the military. I am sure they can explain to you the implications of that.

And why the f... will China send missiles at Delhi? A good trade partner serves China alot better than an angry India.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
India does not have a dedicated bomber fleet. We had modified Mirage for weapons delivery. I doubt India will base any nukes for delivery from fighters once we have numbers in our missile fleet. We may keep some reserves from what exists today.

Indian Navy will be entrusted with nukes that will be sub surface. India will not base any nukes on the naval Prithvi aka Dhanush. It's very risky.
yusuf, once you fire nukes from missile, what at the most you can do is self destruct that missile in case you have change of heart, but nukes on fighter gives you that option that in case you have change of heart then you can get back that nuke to be used in future. For this very reason it is safe to have nukes with air force planes.

Nukes on Indian navy ships is no different then having them on land, yeah both have their own advantages and disadvantages, but ATV when it will join IN will going to change all that.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
yusuf, once you fire nukes from missile, what at the most you can do is self destruct that missile in case you have change of heart, but nukes on fighter gives you that option that in case you have change of heart then you can get back that nuke to be used in future. For this very reason it is safe to have nukes with air force planes.

Nukes on Indian navy ships is no different then having them on land, yeah both have their own advantages and disadvantages, but ATV when it will join IN will going to change all that.
With a second strike force, we will never have "change of heart". We will fire only when we have to.

Nukes on land can be hidden anywhere in the country, but you cannot hide your boat in the ocean. You will be spotted.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Sigh, for the last time. China has a non first use doctrine. DOCTRINE.

Ask some of your country man what a military doctrine is. Some of them are in fact in the military. I am sure they can explain to you the implications of that.

And why the f... will China send missiles at Delhi? A good trade partner serves China alot better than an angry India.
I know what Chinas doctrine is. But why should we take you on face value?

Why will China send missiles to Delhi? Coz when a war breaks out, you wont be sending bouquets.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
On the way from Guwahati to Dibrugarh, just before the Kaziranga comes a Military station called Missa. Earlier around
`
10 years back there used to be a company or 2 of an infantry battalion. Now It stations 2 Artillery Brigades. I have never
`
seen a cantonment of that size. The cantonment has over 30 feet walls across it. No where in India have I seen such a
`
cantonment. Let alone walls, most cantonments are not even fenced. But worth a watch. Those two newly raised brigades
`
are not under any operational commands so I assume it to be directly under the Strategic Command Forces. I am
`
mentioning this because I heard they were stationing the Agnis and the Brahmos there.
Yes, BrahMos would be stored their during peace time as per local reports, this location is beyond the range of BrahMos wrt China border and such will not invite tension between the rivals, for Agnies this is not the best location available around, I mean their are better bases for that purpose.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
It is not about the willingness to produce nukes. It is based on need. I have no doubt India could have that numbers if the need is there.

For deterrence purpose, i doubt you will need that many. There is no immediate threat of nuclear strike on India. Deterrence has no meaning past a certain number.

India dont have an offensive nuclear doctrine. End of story.
You should better tell this to your dear terrorist friend Pakistan who is madly increasing it's nukes which is even over it's offensive purpose and it's own size and budget.

They reportedly have more nukes than India even being 1/8 of it's size.

ice berg

Really , care to share with us how many nukes they have today? And the percentages compared to their spendings on conventional weapons?

Reportedly? Who? Toi?:taunt:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Really , care to share with us how many nukes they have today? And the percentages compared to their spendings on conventional weapons?

Reportedly? Who? Toi?:taunt:
You should be knowing it well, since you provided it all ... you have your hand in the making of a terrorist state.

ice berg

I have no idea I had my hand in making of a terrorist state. But I will take your words for it. :cool2:

Have a nice day.

olivers

Estimation of the size of Indian nuclear arsenal is very difficult considering the secrecy that surrounds the program and information shared only on a need to know basis. The level of secrecy can be gauged from the fact that none of the service chiefs apart from the navy was in the know of the ATV project that materialized into the Arihant nuclear powered submarine.

I am trying to make an attempt to try to come to an estimation of what Indian nuclear arsenal may be right now and what it can be in the near future considering all reports on indian nuclear and delivery platforms that is missiles.

I will first write about Indian nuclear weapons programs and its capabilities.

India surprised the world in 1974 with a nuclear test which was called as a test for peaceful purposes. The west cried foul as it's claimed that India used plutonium from the Cirus reactor which was supplied by Canada for peaceful purpose. The Cirus reactor had the capability of producing about 10 kgs of weapons grade plutonium enough to make 2 nuclear bombs based on the technical capability of India at that time. This reactor was operational since 1960 and the plutonium separation was done at Trombay. However all this plutonium was restricted in use as per agreement with Canada about not diverting it for military application.

India in 1985 launched the 100 MW Dhruva reactor with a capability to produce about 25 kgs of weapons grade plutonium per year.India also started producing plutonium from its Tarapur plant which so far was only reprocessing fuel and also from the Madras Atomic Power Station (MAPS) at Kalpakkam.

BARC in the 1980s bought large quantities of very pure beryllium from the international market. Beryllium is used to make nuclear weapons more lighter and also reduce the amount of fissile material usd like plutonium and uranium. This indicates an increase in level of sophistication in design and also machining capabilities, casting and forging as Beryllium is a very hard metal to work with.

India has also worked hard in making Highly Enriched Uranium since the 80s .HEU is used in thermonuclear primary. In 1985 India established the Rare Materials Plant near Mysore. This facility acquired gas centrifuges to enrich Uranium.

After initial troubles in designing and operating gas centrifuges, India has perfected the design of supercritical gas centrifuges. India as late as 2006-07 tendered components in what estimates to about 3000 gas centrifuges. Over the years India may have installed about 6000 supercritical gas centrifuges and about 2000 70s design centrifuges. This gives it capacity to produce about 20,000-30,000 of Separative Work Units (SWU) which is how the capacity of the centrifuges producing uranium enrichment is measured. Major portion of the uranium enriched here goes to the prototype naval reactor and also the reactor for the Arihant's reactor.

The annual requirement for the prototype naval reactor as well as the Arihants reactor is about 15,000 SWU which leaves plenty to spare for using enriched uranium in making warheads in the future. The construction of the expanded facilities in Mysore was on as of last year to incorporate the fresh set of 3000 centrifuges that India has made.

As of 1999, some estimates were made about India,s Plutonium reserves which put it at 300-400 kgs of weapons grade plutonium, enough to make between 65-90 warheads. Since then India has continued to make more plutonium. This figure is only of known weapons grade production. Add to this is the safeguarded and unsafeguarded civilian reactors from which plutonium is extracted. By 1999, India had over 4100 kgs of fissile material from IAEA safeguarded reactors and over 3500 kgs from unsafeguarded reactors. This is good enough to make over 1000 fission bombs if weaponized.

As of 2004, the total weapons grade plutonium was about 500 kgs for about 110 warheads.

The above figures are considering usage of certain percentage of plutonium in civil nuclear reactors

The 2005 civil nuclear deal has allowed india to import fuel for its civil nuclear reactors. This frees up a fairly good amount of fissile material for use in warheads. As of 2011, it's possible that India had roughly 700 kgs of weapons grade plutonium which can make about 150 warheads.
India has large amounts of reactor grade plutonium capable of making 2000 warheads if weaponized.

The above estimates are only for fission based nuclear weapons. The production of thermonuclear weapons is not known and continues to shroud in secrecy.

A fair indication of the size of current Indian nuclear stockpile can be derived from its weapons delivery platform.

India has a host of missiles as well as air assets of the air force to deliver nuclear weapons. The air force's primary weapons delivery asset are the Mirage fighters.

India started the IGMP or integrated guided missile program in the 80s which delivered its first missile, Prithvi a short range ballistic missile.From the initial 150 kms range, it has not been tested to 300 kms. There are 100 missiles in the inventory as of now with the Army and Air Force . Though India says it's a battlefield missile to deliver conventional munition, the missile is nuclear capable and can deliver nuclear payload.

Agni 1 was first test fired in 1989. the 700 kms range missile was a technology demonstrator and Pakistan centric.The testing was shelved under international pressure for some time. After the Kargil war, India began to test this missile again and was inducted in 2000. Bharat Dynamics manufactures this missile. A rough production rate is about 12-15 missile per year which could give India an inventory of about 100 missiles as of now. This is a single stage single warhead missile.

Agni II :- First tested in 1999, this missile forms the most credible deterrent right now against China. In 2002, Mr George Fernandes the then Defence Minister informed parliament that the Agni II has been inducted and taken into production at Bharat Dynamics Ltd at the production rate of 18 missiles per year. Even if there has been any shortfall in production with a lesser figure being 12 missiles per year, India could have at least 100 missiles at the lower end and at 18 missiles a year it could be as high as 160.

Agni III:- First tested in 2006, this missile failed. Further successful tests were conducted and as of 2011 this 4500 kms range missile has been inducted into the SFC. Till the Agni V becomes operational and in numbers, this missile will form the deterrent backbone of Indian nuclear posture against China. I am going to be conservative estimate of a production rate of 8-10 missiles a year. By 2015, we could have 40-50 Agni III and by 2020, we could have 80-100 missiles.

Agni !V:- Known as Agni Prime or Agni IIA earlier, this missile bridges the gap between Agni II and III. This 3500 km range missile was first tested in 2011. It comprises of advances made on the earlier generation of missiles and will probably replace the Agni II once it becomes operational. This missile will undergo trials over the next 2 years and induction could start in 2014-15 timeframe. As with Agni II, BDL could have a production rate of about 18 missiles a year and by 2020, we could have at least 75 missiles operational.

Agni V:- Recently test fired Agni V gives India intercontinental range and will form the credible deterrent that India is looking for against China in the future. This "over 5000"km range missile which I believe is actually an 8000 km range missile covers all of China including Beijing and Shanghai. This missile will feature MIRV for the first time in Indian missile program. Reports say that the warhead India has been able to miniaturize now weighs 400 kgs with a yieled of 250KT. The missile could be used in different configurations too with lower yield warheads weighing less and incorporating more warheads on this missile which has a total payload capacity of about 1.5.
Tons. The Agni V is will be tested at least 3 more times over the next two years and get inducted and go to the production line. I expect a production figure of 4-5 missiles per year. By 2020, we could have at least 20 of these missiles with at least 3 MIRVs which means there will be at least 60 warheads set aside for this missile.

We also have heard over the years of even more longer range missiles popularly touted as Surya with a range of about 12,000kms. But I will not get into that at the moment.

We will see submarine launched ballistic missiles being tested. the K15 a 700 kms range single payload missile and the K4 based on the Agni III which could be MIRVd with 3-5 warheads. this missile again could be tested in the near future with probable induction in the 2015 timeframe which will coincide with the full operationalization of the Arihant nuclear submarine. Each Arihant class submarine will carry 4 of these missiles. This will mean that once the entire induction process of the Arihant class is over by 2020, we could have 16 such missiles with 3-5 MIRVs each giving a total warhead count of 48-80. It is said that the next boat in this class could be bigger and maybe carry six launch tubes which will further increase the number of missiles and warheads India will possess under the sea forming a potent second strike capability.

To sum it all up, based on the induction rate of missiles over the next few years leading up to 2015 and 2020, I summarise below,

Time line 2010 2015 2020
Agni I:- 100 225 300
Agni II:- 100 160-235 may be replaced with Agni IV
Agni III:- 40-50 80-100
Agni IV:- 75
Agni V:- 20 with 3-5 MIRV
K4:- 16 with 3-5 MIRV
K15:- 50

Probable total nuclear arsenal by 2015 just based on the number of missiles could be a very high figure of about 400 warheads. This not considering Prithvi to be mated with nuclear warheads.

Some of these missiles will be routinely tested and their numbers will come down. Also considering that at least 30% of the missiles be taken out by an enemy first strike, i would say that by 2015 we could have a nuclear arsenal with as high as 300 warheads and by 2020 it could be as high as 500-600 considering the the number of missiles under development and production. This number may look on a very higher side, but considering the rapidly growing pakistani arsenal and the Chinese missile force, India may get aggressive in its nuclear posture including setting aside its current stated position of no first use.

The production capacity for both fission and fusion warheads is there as formulated earlier. There is already substantial plutonium reserves and the HEU production is being expanded rapidly. India may not reserve any thermonuclear weapons for Pakistan and use only fission devices. All the thermonuclear warheads will be set aside for China on MIRVd Agni V and K15.That would mean that by 2020, we could have as many as 200 thermonuclear weapons.

PS: The above is provided the government of the day recognizes the growing importance of India in the geo political arena and takes aggressive nuclear posture. Given the advances and expansion of the Chinese military, It may be possible that the official Chinese declaration that its arsenal is smallest among P5 may be misleading and not to be taken at face value.

Estimation of Indian Nuclear Arsenal – Present and Future | Sarvatra Vijay
BARC Press Release :� FOUNDER�S DAY ADDRESS 2005 -Chairman's Speech

Enriched uranium fuel supplied by BARC for the Light Water Reactor programme at Kalpakkam has been performing quite satisfactorily and our facility in Mysore is ready to meet the demands of our current strategic programme. There has been remarkable success in improving the separating work of our centrifuges and I have the confidence that we will be in a position to enter the uranium enrichment activity in an industrial scale within a short time.

Great strides have been made in development of advanced gas centrifuges for uranium enrichment program. The latest fourth generation design, with output 10 times the early design, has been successfully developed and an experimental cascade is in operation at BARC. These would soon be ready for induction at RMP. Third generation design, with 5 times output of early designs, are presently being inducted at RMP.

An important milestone in development of carbon fibre composit tubes for high speed rotor system, has achieved a surface speed of 600 m/sec. These rotors have the potential to provide greatly enhanced centrifuge output. These rotor systems are presently undergoing various trials

Analysis:

Our enrichment program expansion in 2010 to a facility possibly uses this carbon fiber composite tubes with enrichment of 40SWU/year. Earlier ones were at 4 SWU/year upto 2008.In 2008 we were adding 20 SWU/Year centrifuges .

The new facility has a larger dimension of 210 x 150. The old facility was 130 x 130. This new facility will house carbon fiber composite 40 SWU/year units. (600 m/sec.) Urenco 600 m/sec is the fifth generation which enriches at 40 SWU/year. There are urenco units with 620 m/sec which produce 42 SWU/year. Seems like we are very close to the best centrifuge designs.

http://isis-online.org/publications/southasia/indiagrowingcapacity.pdf
The last paper on Indian enrichment places the future expansion in 2006 at 20000 SWU/yr to 30000 SWU/yr. Assuming this expansion covered the period upto 2008. In 2008 we added unknown quantity of 20 SWU/year centrifuges. Assuming this is 3000 as most other expansions where in phases of 3000. The 2008 expansion gave us 60000 SWU/year.

We then expanded in 2010 to these carbon fiber composites. So when the facility comes up. It's double the earlier facility. Our enrichment when it comes up only from RMP plant will be between 200,000SWU/year 500,000 SWU/year. This really is something. We have a chitradurga enrichment facility which will be additional to this. So our enrichment program is really on it's way to Industrial scale.

The Hindu : News / International : India uranium enrichment activity revealed by Google Earth?

We had 3000 centrifuges in 2006. Which were 2nd generation. In 2008 we added unknown quantity of 20 SWU/Year centrifuges. In 2010 we were building a facility of 210 x 150 possibly housing 40 SWU/year carbon fiber composite centrifuge. Which is essentially double the earlier program plus double the earlier output. So our uranium enrichment for submarines and other uses from only this plant are at 4 times the level in 2006 at a minimum.

No wonder we are going to use the new Chitradurga facility for civil use. Even though it's not under safeguards. It will be 600 rev/sec or 620 rev/sec and equivalent to the latest Urenco designs.

Our reprocessing on industrial scale is the problem.

If we consider 100000 SWU/Yr only for nuclear weapons we have 60 fission type devices per year. If it's thermonuclear it's even more. With 300,000 SWU/yr we are talking 120 devices per year with 100,000 SWU/yr capacity for other activities including nuclear submarine fuel. Of course all of this is only in RMP. Chitradurgaa is separate. There is much more capacity should we choose to go into weapons with this.

Reprocessing needs to be taken care of. Enrichment is already at Industrial scale.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
BARC Press Release :� FOUNDER�S DAY ADDRESS 2005 -Chairman's Speech

Enriched uranium fuel supplied by BARC for the Light Water Reactor programme at Kalpakkam has been performing quite satisfactorily and our facility in Mysore is ready to meet the demands of our current strategic programme. There has been remarkable success in improving the separating work of our centrifuges and I have the confidence that we will be in a position to enter the uranium enrichment activity in an industrial scale within a short time.

Great strides have been made in development of advanced gas centrifuges for uranium enrichment program. The latest fourth generation design, with output 10 times the early design, has been successfully developed and an experimental cascade is in operation at BARC. These would soon be ready for induction at RMP. Third generation design, with 5 times output of early designs, are presently being inducted at RMP.

An important milestone in development of carbon fibre composit tubes for high speed rotor system, has achieved a surface speed of 600 m/sec. These rotors have the potential to provide greatly enhanced centrifuge output. These rotor systems are presently undergoing various trials

Analysis:

Our enrichment program expansion in 2010 to a facility possibly uses this carbon fiber composite tubes with enrichment of 40SWU/year. Earlier ones were at 4 SWU/year upto 2008.In 2008 we were adding 20 SWU/Year centrifuges .

The new facility has a larger dimension of 210 x 150. The old facility was 130 x 130. This new facility will house carbon fiber composite 40 SWU/year units. (600 m/sec.) Urenco 600 m/sec is the fifth generation which enriches at 40 SWU/year. There are urenco units with 620 m/sec which produce 42 SWU/year. Seems like we are very close to the best centrifuge designs.

http://isis-online.org/publications/southasia/indiagrowingcapacity.pdf
The last paper on Indian enrichment places the future expansion in 2006 at 20000 SWU/yr to 30000 SWU/yr. Assuming this expansion covered the period upto 2008. In 2008 we added unknown quantity of 20 SWU/year centrifuges. Assuming this is 3000 as most other expansions where in phases of 3000. The 2008 expansion gave us 60000 SWU/year.

We then expanded in 2010 to these carbon fiber composites. So when the facility comes up. It's double the earlier facility. Our enrichment when it comes up only from RMP plant will be between 200,000SWU/year 500,000 SWU/year. This really is something. We have a chitradurga enrichment facility which will be additional to this. So our enrichment program is really on it's way to Industrial scale.

The Hindu : News / International : India uranium enrichment activity revealed by Google Earth?

We had 3000 centrifuges in 2006. Which were 2nd generation. In 2008 we added unknown quantity of 20 SWU/Year centrifuges. In 2010 we were building a facility of 210 x 150 possibly housing 40 SWU/year carbon fiber composite centrifuge. Which is essentially double the earlier program plus double the earlier output. So our uranium enrichment for submarines and other uses from only this plant are at 4 times the level in 2006 at a minimum.

No wonder we are going to use the new Chitradurga facility for civil use. Even though it's not under safeguards. It will be 600 rev/sec or 620 rev/sec and equivalent to the latest Urenco designs.

Our reprocessing on industrial scale is the problem.

If we consider 100000 SWU/Yr only for nuclear weapons we have 60 fission type devices per year. If it's thermonuclear it's even more. With 300,000 SWU/yr we are talking 120 devices per year. Of course all of this is only in RMP. Chitradurgaa is separate. There is much more capacity should we choose to go into weapons with this.

Reprocessing needs to be taken care of. Enrichment is already at Industrial scale.
If the latest round of unknown centrifuges are working at 40SWU/yr, and give us such a huge jump in enrichment, we sure are looking at a bigger arsenal and also many more nuclear powered subs and possibly aircraft carriers.

The thread is trying to estimate the arsenal present today and what we would have by say 2020. I dont think my number is off the mark as the facilities to make the number of bombs are there. The number of delivery systems present and under development give us a fair indication of what the arsenal will be.

olivers

If the latest round of unknown centrifuges are working at 40SWU/yr, and give us such a huge jump in enrichment, we sure are looking at a bigger arsenal and also many more nuclear powered subs and possibly aircraft carriers.

The thread is trying to estimate the arsenal present today and what we would have by say 2020. I dont think my number is off the mark as the facilities to make the number of bombs are there. The number of delivery systems present and under development give us a fair indication of what the arsenal will be.
The 40SWU/yr is based off the only technical detail from BARC. An important milestone in development of carbon fibre composit tubes for high speed rotor system, has achieved a surface speed of 600 m/sec. This was back in 2008. They were doing test runs of these in 2008. It's 2012 now. The new facility was being brought on line last year. So it's likely we will use 2008 technology at least. In 2008 we were using 2006 technology at 20 SWU/yr for induction. We don't have numbers on this induction itself. So the wide variation in estimates from 300000 to 500,000 for the new plant which is double the old one in Physical size. Also 20 to 40 is double the enrichment. We have had no further reports. I don't think there will be any on this. It's classified. We only have stated we are at the same level as Urenco.

pmaitra

Olivers,

Thanks for the informative posts.

Could you give a relationship, or for that matter, a plot, showing how SWU relates to enrichment percentage?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles