England ICC T20 World Cup Champions - 2010

Zaki

Country flag
Pakistan played well in the match yesterday, better than any match so farr.

I think they can go out with their head high.
Exactly!

Despite the fact we lost - it was still a respectable loss........ I am sure Aussies too would have considered they lost the match until 18th over of the aussies innings.......... we dominated the whole match and this is what matters to me the most

We made Aussies realize that in order to defeat the defending Champions they will have to come hard on them and cannot take them lightly whatsoever

plugwater

England T20 Champions

Congrats to England, deserved it after the way they played in the whole tournament. Best team won.

Zaki

Country flag
England won the first ICC event in 35 years

Yupeeeeeeeeeeeee ! My ENGLAND WINS!

Yahooooooooooooooooooo

BunBunCake

Good Job England!
Well played from the beginning. Good bowling, great batting.

But damn, these Aussies bowl fast. Shaun Tait, 98.2 MPH Ball.

nandu

Memorable title triumph for England

Kieswetter and Pietersen fashion a splendid chase to tame the Aussies

JOY UNBOUND: England's cricketers converge on their captain, Paul Collingwood (second)

Bridgetown: Defying odds, England ambushed Australia by seven wickets to win its first title in an ICC Global event at the Kensington Oval here on Sunday.

Chasing 148, England outplayed Australia with three overs to spare to triumph in the ICC World Twenty20.

The side has been professional and was also ruthless.

The bowlers, led by left-arm paceman Ryan Sidebottom, set up the victory. Then intrepid opener Craig Kieswetter (63 off 49), who was declared 'Man-of-The Match', and the inspiring Kevin Pietersen (47 off 31) took the match away from Australia with a 111-run partnership for the second wicket.

Both were dismissed late in the game but, by then, the verdict was not in doubt. Skipper Paul Collingwood and Eoin Morgan closed out the contest clinically. In a big game, the Aussie bowling and fielding wilted.

FINE KNOCK: Craig Kieswetter came up with a free-stroking 63 to guide England to a famous victory.

Success straightaway

Australia had success straightaway when Michael Lumb, clipping Shaun Tait uppishly was held at mid-wicket. In walked Kevin Pietersen.

England regrouped. When Dirk Nannes bowled a fuller length, he was cover-driven and flicked for boundaries by the attacking and quick-footed Craig Kieswetter.

The free-stroking Kieswetter cashed in on fuller length deliveries; Tait was bravely driven over the covers.

Pietersen had his moment of uncertainty against the speedy Nannes. He created room on the off-side but found a yorker-length ball thudding into his pads. However, a cover-drive on the up against left-arm paceman Mitchell Johnson underlined his quality. The England total was 44 for one after the six Power Play overs.

Pietersen, settling down, was looking increasingly dangerous. He sashayed down the track to ease Johnson down the ground.

His batting has the rare blend of strong back-footed play, the ability to use his feet to shimmy down the pitch with wristy sub-continental flair. He simmers with aggression; wants to dominate. His cricket oozes belief and confidence.

So quickly do his feet move that the bowlers' length is disrupted. Consequently their line suffers. He is an Englishman with the attitude of an Aussie.

Gradually, the hunter became the hunted. The England zeroed in on Shane Watson, the weak link, with Kieswetter dismantling the Aussie paceman with strikes that were chancy but effective.

When Tait returned, Pietersen, his footwork precise, head still and balance perfect, smacked him over his head.

Thing of beauty

Pietersen's back-swing is a thing of beauty. Crucially, he was picking the length early and was ready with his response.

When Tait bowled a full-length scorcher, Pietersen, effortlessly, eased the ball over the long-off ropes. It was a stunning strike.

On a bright, sunny afternoon, England, perhaps influenced by the rousing Australian chase in the last-four duel against Pakistan, opted to field.

Key batsman Shane Watson slashed at a rising ball, angling across, from Sidebottom in the first over. The 'keeper Kieswetter could not latch on to the offering but Greame Swann was quick to pouch the deflection.

Australia was just 24 for three after the Power Play overs. England has contained and struck during an extremely important phase of the match.

Michael Clarke put a price on his wicket. The Australian captain is nimble-footed and his duel against off-spinner Swann made compelling viewing.

Booming strokes

Then the in-form Cameron White cut loose against Yardy with booming strokes over the straight field and the mid-wicket region. David Hussey earned a reprieve at 25 when Broad misjudged a skier at mid-on; Tim Bresnan was the bowler to suffer.

Broad, soon, held on to a looping ball when White (30 off 19) attempted to biff paceman Luke Wright.

David Hussey continued to torment England. And his brother, Miracle Man Michael Hussey, drove and flicked with a surgeon's precision.

David Hussey's enterprising innings (59 off 54 balls) in a pressure situation concluded when he was run out going for a second run in the final over.

Australia: S. Watson c Swann b Sidebottom 2 (3b), D. Warner (run out) 2 (4b), M. Clarke c Collingwood b Swann 27 (27b, 2x4), B. Haddin c Kieswetter b Sidebottom 1 (2b), D. Hussey (run out) 59 (54b, 2x4, 2x6), C. White c Broad b Wright 30 (19b, 4x4, 1x6), M. Hussey (not out) 17 (10b, 2x4), S. Smith (not out) 1 (2b); Extras (b-1, lb-2, nb-1, w-4): 8. Total (for six wickets in 20 overs): 147.

Fall of wickets: 1-2, 2-7, 3-8, 4-45, 5-95, 6-142.

England bowling: Sidebottom 4-0-26-2, Bresnan 4-0-35-0, Broad 4-0-27-0, Swann 4-0-17-1, Yardy 3-0-34-0, Wright 1-0-5-1.

England: M. Lumb c D. Hussey b Tait 2 (4b), C. Kieswetter b Johnson 63 (49b, 7x4, 2x6), K. Pietersen c Warner b Smith 47 (31b, 4x4, 1x6), P. Collingwood (not out) 12 (5b, 1x4, 1x6), E. Morgan (not out) 15 (13b, 1x6); Extras (lb-1, w-8): 9. Total (for three wickets in 17 overs): 148.

Fall of wickets: 1-7, 2-118, 3-121.

Australia bowling: Nannes 4-0-29-0, Tait 3-0-28-1, Johnson 4-0-27-1, Smith 3-0-21-1, Watson 3-0-42-0 .

http://www.hindu.com/2010/05/17/stories/2010051762432100.htm

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Congrats england for winning first world cup in any version of game in all its long cricket history.Must be special world cup for them as 1983 was for india o2 1992 was fo pakistan or 1996 was for srilanka.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Thank God Australia didn't win. :D
Yes. But the alleged "racist treatment" to our shooters in UK has left a bad taste in the mouth. Just when you start supporting the old blighty, they do something that forces you to rethink. ;)

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Yes. But the alleged "racist treatment" to our shooters in UK has left a bad taste in the mouth. Just when you start supporting the old blighty, they do something that forces you to rethink. ;)
Indians get far worse treatment in Australia. So we're choosing the crap that smells more pleasant than the other.

nandu

England's 'victory over the old enemy' at World T20

Tuesday, May 18, 2010
LONDON: British commentators on Monday savoured the England cricketers' "crushing victory over the old enemy" after they beat Australia in the World Twenty20. England won their first major one-day title in a seven-wicket defeat of Australia in the final of the tournament Sunday, providing a pleasant surprise for Britain's cricket pundits.

"England gave one-day cricket to the world almost half a century ago and finally, after decades of international hurt, they have drawn a dividend from their invention," said the Times.

"They won their first ICC event with such ease that you had to wonder what took them so long." The Daily Mail noted it had been "a ridiculously long wait for England's first one-day title since the World Cup."

"But they finally and gloriously lifted one at the 18th attempt yesterday with a crushing victory over the old enemy." The Guardian hailed South African-born batsmen Craig Kieswetter and Kevin Pietersen, who starred for England.

The pair "had exposed how uncharacteristically timid the Australian batting had been, and all but sealed the match," said the paper.England, chasing 148 to win, after reducing a previously unbeaten Australian side at this tournament to eight for three, saw Kieswetter (63) and Pietersen (47) put on 111 for the second wicket at the Kensington Oval in Bridgetown, Barbados.

As far as the Guardian was concerned, the win meant the team had finally arrived in the one-day game. "Suddenly England feel like a force in international one-day cricket. Winning this tournament is a major achievement," it said.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=239860

nandu

Huge monkey is off our back: Collingwood

Elated after winning England's maiden ICC event title in 35 years, captain Paul Collingwood on Sunday said a huge monkey has been off the back of his team with the Twenty20 World Cup triumph.

"I am completely delighted today. I realise that this is the first English team to win a World Cup. There was a monkey riding on our back and I knew what it meant. It is a special moment. The guys deserved it," said Collingwood after his side's seven-wicket victory over Australia in summit clash.

"It was the belief that we take the fight to the opposition that made this victory happen. We played a brand of cricket unlike England in the past. We deserved this triumph. It is a moment that cannot be taken away from us," he said.

Collingwood attributed the triumph to team work but single out Craig Kieswetter, Kevin Pietersen and the bowlers for special praise.

"We played consistent cricket and fought very well against all oppositions. Kevin and Kieswetter and all the bowlers contributed today. We were all in it together and really jelled well as a team.

"The bottom line is that we won today. We just wanted to win, whether it was in the last ball or much before that, it didn't matter to us. Over the next couple of days we will love to savour this special moment," the England captain said.

He said his players believed that England could win the coveted trophy and the triumph could be the beginning of other successes.

"The belief was the key to the triumph. The moment we got the squad together, I knew we had a good chance. But it was all on paper. But once we got past Guyana with a little rain threat, I knew we could go all the way. Obviously, there is a lot of potential in this team to kick on and go further," said the England captain.

Kevin Pietersen, who was adjudged Player of Tournament after amassing 248 runs, said playing for Bangalore Royal Challengers in the IPL had helped him regain his confidence and touch.

"The long hours spent in the nets at Bangalore when I was not part of the team, has paid off. I had disappointed for the last 12 months. I am happy that I am contributing. The entire thing is priceless," said Pietersen, who became a father during the Twenty20 World Cup.

"I am humbled for all the rewards. Had it not been for entire team, especially the way I batted in the series against Bangladesh, especially after I was coming out of injury, this could not have happened. The entire team backed me.

"Only one person gets the player of the series and a lovely trophy. But it has been my team throughout, and the leader (Collingwood) who has led from the front, that deserved it," said Pietersen.

http://content.cricketnirvana.com/news/international/2010/may/news-20100517-234.html

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles