Emraan Hashmi can't get a house in Pali Hill

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Emraan Hashmi can't get a house in Pali Hill
Bharati Dubey, TNN 31 July 2009, 12:37am IST

MUMBAI: Being an A-lister in Bollywood can't get one past religious profiling and discrimination in Mumbai's Beverly Hills. On-screen serial kisser
Emran Hashmi has just learned this.

Out to buy an apartment in an area close to where his parents live, the actor was politely told by Pali Hill's Nibbana Cooperative Society to go and look elsewhere. The actor believes the housing society is discriminating against him because he is a Muslim. He has filed a complaint with the State Minorities' Commission, demanding action against society members.

Commission vice-chairman Abraham Mathai told TOI that Hashmi had filed a complaint, saying the society had refused to give him a no-objection certificate even after he had paid the token amount of Rs 1 lakh. "We are sending summons to the society, asking for an explanation," Mathai said.

"My parents went to meet society members last week (for the NoC) along with the seller and the broker. Society members, however, told them they were busy and refused to meet them. I found it really offensive," said Hashmi.

"The seller, Suvarna, has now informed us that the society will not give us an NOC and it has blocked the sale. We have information that this has been done as they are discriminating against Muslims and will not allow any Muslim in the society." The society had mostly Hindus and a couple of Catholic families, Hashmi said.

Housing society secretary Chatri told TOI he had received a letter last week from the Hashmis but no decision was taken as the chairman of the committee was not present. "But there is no ban on Muslims; we know all Muslims are not terrorists. People from all over the country stay here -- even I have come from a different part of the country -- but one has to know who is coming in," he said.

Actor Anil Dhawan is another member of the society's managing committee. "I will be more than happy to have him as a neighbour. But I remember his family barging into our office when a society meeting was going on and so we refused to meet them. Being a celeb does not mean you get everything," he said.

This is not the first time Hashmi has faced such a problem. "I faced a similar situation in August 2007, when I was looking for a house in the same area; residents and brokers told me I would not be able to get a house because I was a Muslim. But I later managed to get one," he told TOI.

Hashmi's family has been living in Pali Hill for the last 50 years. "All the big names of Bollywood live in the area. Dilip Kumar, Nargis and Aamir Khan live here. So do the Dutts (Sanjay and his kin). But we still face such problems," he regretted.

Hashmi's uncle, filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt, said he was appalled that this was happening in an area like Pali Hill.
Jagjit Arora, who was trying to broker the deal for Hashmi, did try to convince the society. "Mr Suvarna was more than happy to do the deal but he told us we had to get an NOC from the society. It's sad that no amount of explanation about the family's antecedents could convince the society members. There are also certain societies in the area that do not give NOCs to non-Hindus," he lamented.

Vinod Bachchan, a broker from Juhu, said he knew of such instances in Juhu -- where superstar Amitabh Bachchan has lived for decades -- as well. "A big star living in Bandra wanted to buy a bungalow in Juhu but we found it difficult to get one for him as he was a Muslim," he said.

"There are societies who take an undertaking from non-vegetarians that they will not eat non-veg food," Bachchan (the property broker) added.

Others who faced such a problem

* Shabana Azmi and Javed Akhtar have faced problems getting a house in Juhu
* TV actor Aamir Khan filed a PIL after being refused a house in Lokhandwala

Emraan Hashmi can't get a house in Pali Hill - Mumbai - City - NEWS - The Times of India

IBM

Cant belive that......shocking...... I think our soceity needs to me more mature. I dont understand y Amir khan being a muslim got house there????????????????????. y this hindu muslim every Indian has right to buy house anywhere in India this is wat our constitution saysss... shocking.......................

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
He can sleep in the streets for all i care

Antimony

Cant belive that......shocking...... I think our soceity needs to me more mature. I dont understand y Amir khan being a muslim got house there????????????????????. y this hindu muslim every Indian has right to buy house anywhere in India this is wat our constitution saysss... shocking.......................
This is a cooperaive society, they are not "required by law" to sell a house to anyone who comes. It is their decision, distasteful though it may be.

Also, I wonder if their is more to this story. If I am a home owner (with teenage daughtes) who wants to live in a quiet family environment and I hear some party hopping actor kid wants to move in, I might have concerns too.

Anytime someone throws the "discrimination" word nowadays, I get a bit sceptical.

By the way, I have faced this sort of discrimination in Chennai, because

1. I was a bachelor
  2. I am a non-vegetarian

It was not cool, but I respect the homeowner's wish not to rent his apartment to me. The government or anyone else does not need to come into this picture

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Are you sure he had the money to buy the flat he wanted?

That could also be a reason!

The minority and the Dalit card is better than a Credit or Debit Card!

I know that Gujarati Housing Complexes don't like to have a non veg and people with pets. Religion is not material!

When I was in Malaysia, an English lady upstairs complained she could not stand the smell of Indian spices! The poor fool of a lady thought I should have bully beef and Yorkshire pudding! insipid junk!

What the heck!

I believe Mahesh Bhatt is a self proclaimed person born out of wedlock. I would not allow him in my house since I would not be able to explain to my 3 year old grandson what is a bastard!

Would that be discrimination?

if so, to avoid problems, I will invite bastards every month to my home to show equal opportunity and that i love bastards!

One rather be like Lord Byron who when expelled from England said -

If I am not fit for England,

Then, England is not fit for me!

IBM

Are you sure he had the money to buy the flat he wanted?

That could also be a reason!

The minority and the Dalit card is better than a Credit or Debit Card!

I know that Gujarati Housing Complexes don't like to have a non veg and people with pets. Religion is not material!

When I was in Malaysia, an English lady upstairs complained she could not stand the smell of Indian spices!

What the heck!

you should have told her go back to britain........

She was probably jealous of our Indian food,you should have given her some Aloo Gobhi and Tadka Dal she won't have bothered you Sir.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
In real its shocking and even alarming the way societies are divided . But the most sad thing is this that educated people are dividing themselves more , where as poor people do live to together and even share thier problems up untill this vote bank politics is not played .

mehwish92

Founding Member
Country flag
well, there could be a chance that there is more behind it. I refuse to believe that emraan hashmi was denied a house just because he was Muslim, especially if Amir Khan (a Muslim) also lives there.

it is also important to keep in mind that Hindus and Muslims have certain differences (example: Hindus tend to be mostly vegetarian whereas Muslims are non-veg.)..

im sure there is more to it. Emraan Hashmi is famous. Why would they refuse to giv him a house if he's famous? What's the reason. This whole hue and cry about him being attacked for being a Muslim, seems far fetched.

I do agree, however, that our society is very divided, and this treatment that Muslims (and other minorities, and sometimes even Hindus) get from other communities is unfair.

Why can I not get a house I want, just because of your beliefs? Keep your beliefs in your house, just like i keep my beliefs in my house. If you're a vegetarian, I promise i won't bring non-veg into your house. I won't even step into your house if that's what you want. But why do you care what I do in my house?

I should be able to get ahouse wherever I want, regardless of my religion/culture. The only thing that should matter is whether or not I can afford the house.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Where's secularism, asks Emraan after being denied house
IANS 31 July 2009, 02:10pm IST

MUMBAI: "Am I a criminal or a terrorist?" asked an upset Emraan Hashmi on Friday. The Bollywood actor alleged he had been denied a house he wanted to buy in the upmarket Pali Hill area of Mumbai because he was Muslim.

The actor, who was not given a no-objection certificate (NOC), believes the housing society in Pali Hill was hiding the real reason for its refusal.

"This has political connotations, so they don't want to talk about it openly. Yesterday (Thursday), they told me that I can't get the NOC. I asked them why aren't you giving me the certificate -- am I a criminal, or a terrorist or have I done anything illegal?" Emraan told reporters here with his uncle and well-known filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt by his side.

"It is strange that they don't tell you on your face that you can't get a house because you are a Muslim. It would have been easier if they would have told me openly. What they told me is that they can't allow me to live there because I am a serial kisser and my presence will have a bad influence on the children staying there.

"Being a celebrity if I'm facing problems in buying a house here, I wonder what kind of problems others would have been facing. All the time we are talking about secularism but with such incidents what secularism are people talking about?" asked the actor.

Emraan said someone suggested to him that he purchase the house in the name of his wife Parveen, who is a Hindu. "I can do that, but why should I do that?" he asked.

Bhatt said such discrimination was a serious problem plaguing the country.

"Even 62 years after independence, the virus of communalism is alive in an area like Pali Hill, which is known as India's Beverly Hills where stars like Sunil Dutt lived and Dilip Kumar is still living there. It's a serious problem and is the country ready to accept that communalism is still surviving?" he said.

"There are also certain societies in the area that do not give NOCs to non-Hindus," he said.

Emraan, who featured in films like "Murder", "Gangster - A Love Story", wanted to buy a house in Pali Hill so that he could stay close to his parents, but the actor was refused the NOC by Pali Hill's Nibbana Cooperative Society.

He has filed a complaint with the State Minorities' Commission, demanding action against the society members. The society reportedly has mostly Hindus and a couple of Catholic families.

This is not the first time Hashmi has faced such a problem.

"I faced a similar situation in August 2007, when I was looking for a house in the same area; residents and brokers told me I would not be able to get a house because I was a Muslim. But I later managed to get one," Emraan told a newspaper Thursday.

Earlier Shabana Azmi and Javed Akhtar had faced problems in getting a house in Juhu and TV actor Aamir Khan filed a litigation after being refused a house in Lokhandwala.

Where's secularism, asks Emraan after being denied house - Mumbai - City - NEWS - The Times of India

IBM

Iam quoting my own post. I wrote this reply yesterday but today when i saw news properly, i came to know that he may be refused for some other reasons. Amir khan and his nephew Imran khan also a muslim lives in those appartments. They were not refused. May be parents r afraid of Imran hashmi of being kisisng there daughters lolllllll...........

Man seriously i hate Imran Hashmi ,i won't bother if he slept in a gutter.Why the news channels are worked up about this is unknown to me.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Salman disagrees with Hashmi over flat issue

Press Trust of India, Friday July 31, 2009, Mumbai

Filmstar Salman Khan on Friday said he did not agree with fellow actor Emraan Hashmi's charge that he was denied an NOC to purchase a flat in the posh Bandra locality because he was a Muslim.

"If religious profiling indeed happened, Emraan Hashmi would not have been what he is today. Similarly, Salman, Aamir and Shah Rukh Khan would not be what they are today," Salman told reporters on the sidelines of a function in Mumbai.

He said such incidents could take place because of individual personality and not because the individual belongs to a particular religion.

However, Salman felt such discrimination on religious grounds could exist in some places.

"I would appeal to the Nibbana Housing society in Bandra to provide the required NOC to Emraan," he said.

Salman disagrees with Hashmi over flat issue

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
I have never been treated differently: Shah Rukh
PTI 1 August 2009, 07:09pm IST

NEW DELHI: Brushing aside the Emraan Hashmi controversy as a "one-off" episode, Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan on Saturday said that such incidents should not be given importance.

The actor, who is a practicing Muslim but prefers to call himself a "secular Indian", said, "I have never been treated differently because of my religion. I am 44 years old now and never in my life have I felt discriminated."

He was reacting to a question related to the recent uproar caused by actor Emraan Hashmi's allegations that a housing society in posh Pali Hill area denied him the NOC to purchase a flat in the building because he is a Muslim.

Shah Rukh said that he cannot deny the existence of such incidents but added, "It is a one-off incident and should not be given too much importance."

"We are a fast growing nation and the reason for our development is the fact that we have overcome the barriers of religion, castes, class in our hearts and minds. We should not let these small incident affect us," Shah Rukh said.

Earlier Bollywood star Salman Khan too had expressed his disagreement over Hashmi's accusation.

"If religious profiling indeed happened, Emraan Hashmi would not have been what he is today. Similarly, Salman, Aamir and Shah Rukh Khan would not be what they are today," Salman said adding that such incidents take place because of the individual's personality and not his religion.

I have never been treated differently: Shah Rukh - India - NEWS - The Times of India

StarScreen

Country flag
I don't think that its related to Hashmi being muslim and all... he is crying foul. There are bollywood stars like Aamir Khan and nephew Imran Khan who live in Pali Hill area and they have never had any such issues. Is Imran Hashmi someone special to be meted out with this treatment?

I think it's more related to his 'Serial Kisser' image that has put him into trouble... :blum3:

On a lighter note, the Pali Hill residents would be worried about their wives and daughters considering the fact that Hashmi would be somewhere in their vicinity! :wink:

fateh71

I don't think that its related to Hashmi being muslim and all... he is crying foul. There are bollywood stars like Aamir Khan and nephew Imran Khan who live in Pali Hill area and they have never had any such issues. Is Imran Hashmi someone special to be meted out with this treatment?

I think it's more related to his 'Serial Kisser' image that has put him into trouble... :blum3:

On a lighter note, the Pali Hill residents would be worried about their wives and daughters considering the fact that Hashmi would be somewhere in their vicinity! :wink:
Absolutely. I do not think anything to do with religion at all. However, that happens too. When I was looking to buy a house in a new building right next to bandra - at mahim, there was one builder who quoted an incredible price just because i am hindu and they wanted only catholics to buy. There are societies (mainly dominated by jains/marwadis) in mumbai that would not sell a house to a marathi family because they eat fish or when in Singapore i knew some muslims malays who would prefer renting houses to hindus but would deny chinese becasue chinese eat pork...

it happens. But this looks like a case like Azharuddin claiming he was dropped because of his religion... after captaining india for years :) luckily he saw light and apologised... hope hashmi stops acting weird too.

StarScreen

Country flag
Absolutely. I do not think anything to do with religion at all. However, that happens too. When I was looking to buy a house in a new building right next to bandra - at mahim, there was one builder who quoted an incredible price just because i am hindu and they wanted only catholics to buy. There are societies (mainly dominated by jains/marwadis) in mumbai that would not sell a house to a marathi family because they eat fish or when in Singapore i knew some muslims malays who would prefer renting houses to hindus but would deny chinese becasue chinese eat pork...

it happens. But this looks like a case like Azharuddin claiming he was dropped because of his religion... after captaining india for years :) luckily he saw light and apologised... hope hashmi stops acting weird too.
Yes, I absolutely agree with you. I am a maharashtrian and we eat fish. Now my uncle had returned from Saudi Arabia and he wanted to purchase a flat in a posh locality in Chembur, Mumbai. Unfortunately, the flat he liked was in a South-Indian dominated colony where they banned him from eating fish and meat. Poor guy still has to cook his non-veg secretly so that the South Indian members do not get offend... LOL :p

prahladh

Respected Member
Yes, I absolutely agree with you. I am a maharashtrian and we eat fish. Now my uncle had returned from Saudi Arabia and he wanted to purchase a flat in a posh locality in Chembur, Mumbai. Unfortunately, the flat he liked was in a South-Indian dominated colony where they banned him from eating fish and meat. Poor guy still has to cook his non-veg secretly so that the South Indian members do not get offend... LOL :p
If he bought the flat then why secrecy. If it;s rent then its a risk getting kicked out.

StarScreen

Country flag
If he bought the flat then why secrecy. If it;s rent then its a risk getting kicked out.
Well, he did buy the flat, but they laid down these conditions about not cooking non-veg. The property was too tempting for him to sacrifice, so he had to accept their terms... :wink:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles