Eltics Black fox that can make a tank invisible to thermal imaging

charlie

Country flag
'Black Fox' is an Active, Adaptive Multi-Spectral Stealth technology applicable to land, airborne and naval vessels. The concept has been in development since 2006 and was recently demonstrated in field experiments, demonstrating the ability to effectively blend parts of the platform into the background, while on the move.

The principle of ' Black Fox' operation is based, in part on patents claimed by the company. The system employs two panoramic cameras scanning the surroundings through a 360 degrees hemisphere around the protected vehicle. Image processing and control electronics are used to sense and match the background scene, creating a deceptive image for display, on multiple active-mounted panels, on the protected platform. The image mimics the background signature, creating a stealth illusion, by realistically representing the surrounding 'noise' clutter and distinctive texture, thus effectively blending into the background.

source http://geneva-globaldefence.blogspot.com/2010/10/israeli-company-eltics-promises-to.html

well i think our future tank will have this capability & I think as india is already looking for a Armour protective system for its T-90 it can go for this system

pmaitra

This is a very interesting research. However, a very common detection and tracking method in image processing for military purposes is to use FLIR (Forward Looking Infra Red) images. Hence, for a tank or a helicopter to blend it's heat signature with that of the background is going to be a herculean task; and if I may say so, impossible as of today.

However, research must go on and who knows when someone will come up with something that is cost-effective, feasible and easy to produce.

Last edited:

charlie

Country flag
This is a very interesting research. However, a very common detection and tracking method in image processing for military purposes is to use FLIR (Forward Looking Infra Red) images. Hence, for a tank or a helicopter to blend it's heat signature with that of the background is going to be a herculean task; and if I may say so, impossible as of today.

However, research must go on and who knows when someone will come up with something that is cost-effective, feasible and easy to produce.
Did you check out the video, there is a video of that on that link & the project is already near perfection

pmaitra

Did you check out the video, there is a video of that on that link & the project is already near perfection
Thank you for posting the video and the report Charlie. I saw the video. It is indeed a very interesting subject. However my skepticism, however annoying, is based on the fact that image processing and computer vision is my area of research and I'd trust this idea more if I could read a couple of publications in some of the most important scientific journals, such as, but not limited to, EEE PAMI, IEEE ICCV, IEEE CVPR, IEEE ICIP, BMVC etc..

Hope you understand what I am trying to say. I need to know whether this is a research that is really close to completion or it is more of a publicity stunt.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles