Election Commission could stay New CoAS Appointment

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by tarunraju, May 3, 2014.

1. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

Let the next government decide the new Army Chief, say EC sources - IBNLive

3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

They have said the next Govt should decide.

In case the NDA forms the Govt, this will be a a very explosive start for the new Govt.

4. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

More so if V.K. wins Ghaziabad.

5. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Actually, the case of the botched Int op is already in the Assam HC.

It has been filed by the brother of one of those who have been slain.

That might be used against Suhag since a moral high ground can be taken that one cannot have a Chief, who has a case against him. Acutally, the vigilance clearance in these circumstances will be difficult to be given by the IB.

6. Eesh

Eesh Regular Member

Why this tearing hurry? COAS retires at end of June. Enough time.

Actually, Cong is convinced it is on its way out.

7. Compersion

Compersion Senior Member Senior Member

Suhag would be the next one in line - Everyone knows about it. It is theoretically done and appointment is done according to past principles. But the question is when. Why is the congress doing anything about it. They have more to gain if the line of succession is changed since it goes away from principle. why is it being shone they have more to loose. in fact whoever the next government would be they might in fact make Suhag the next chief but its better the next government does it and not the current one.

the appointment of chiefs ought to be a respected and transparent and joyful exercise. looking at the current administration they have screwed up on a lot of appointments dealing with the armed forces - case in point the navy recently and also past two appointments of army.

also does it matter who the next chief is. the top echelons of the Armed forces has capable, qualified and accomplished people - one must bear that in mind when talking about Suhag and all the others. Suhag ought to be respected and that means all the armed forces people and leaders must be given respect. i would imagine that the top echelons of the forces are highly qualified and it does not matter who gets it and why is there the fuss about Suhag. which group and who has more to worry and why is there any worry.

If the current administration are trying to force the appointment in earlier and minutes before the current administration finishes it increases the awareness of everyone and makes one wonder if there is more that meets the eye and why that was done and is being done. for the election commission to even get involved means that such a line of thought is being explored.

but one thing for sure if the congress tries to force this through it is a surmise of the last 5 years of the administration when it comes to armed forces and leadership of the administration it seems to be without direction. I find it difficult to accept that a Prime Minister of India is allowing such things to be done at the last minute. I would have thought the position is a position of principle and transparency and would not allow such things to be talked about and even considered until after the election on account of fairness to the next administration.

I heard somewhere that there is a BJP precedent near the beginning of the elections where they appointed a armed forces chief right before the elections. But i am not able to locate the person in question. was it in the navy , airforce i am unable to locate that person. also that must have been done much earlier and also with different circumstances.

Last edited: May 3, 2014