Eerie similarity - full name has repetitive cognate!

pmaitra

Eerie similarity - full name has repetitive cognate!

While I was reading about the Algerian hostage crisis, I came across the main suspect, which reminded me of another character in the Hijack to Kandahar of IC 814.

Mokhtar Belmokhtar - Algerian hostage crisis.

Mokhtar Belmokhtar

• Fought Soviet forces in Afghanistan in late 1980s
  • Former leading figure in al-Qaeda in the Land of the Islamic Maghreb. Left in late 2012 after falling out with leaders
  • Now heads the Khaled Abu al-Abbas Brigade and the Signed-in-Blood Battalion
  • Known as "The One-Eyed" as he wears an eyepatch over a lost eye
  • French intelligence has dubbed him "The Uncatchable", while locals refer to him as "Mister Marlboro" for his illicit cigarettes operation
Source: BBC News - Profile: Mokhtar Belmokhtar

Wakil Ahmad Muttawakil - involved in negotiations for release of the hijacked IC 814.

Wakil Ahmad Muttawakil (born 1971) was the last Foreign Minister in the Taliban government of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan.[1] Prior to this he served as spokesman and secretary to Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban. After the Northern Alliance accompanied by U.S. and British forces ousted the regime, Muttawakil surrendered in Kandahar to government troops.
Source: Wakil Ahmed Muttawakil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is probably just a coincidence, but both these people have the same word repeated twice in their names, and I couldn't help but point this out.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles