EDITED - Muslim mob helps rebuild Churches they damaged in Punjab

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by sean, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean

sean Regular Member

Tuesday, September 14, 2010, Chandigarh, India

NEWS AND VIEWS
    PUNJAB

SPECIAL COVERAGE
    CHANDIGARH

LUDHIANA
    DELHI

M A I N N E W S

Malerkotla under curfew after church set ablaze
    Our Correspondent

The targeted church
    The targeted church

Malerkotla, September 13
    Curfew was clamped in Malerkotla town today after a local church was set on fire following rumours that a holy book had been burnt in the US. The police has booked five persons and sealed all temples, mosques and the remaining two churches in the town.

A 200-strong mob set ablaze one of the town’s three churches late last night. Trouble erupted after an SMS was flashed from Ludhiana that a Koran had been burnt in Michigan, USA. A meeting of the All India Mili Council was convened at Zakir Masjid after the 9 pm ‘namaz’. After the meeting, hundreds of Muslims started gathering outside St Thomas Church near the Islamia School here, according to the FIR.

Mohammed Usman broke the main gate of the church and the mob carrying stones and bottles filled with petrol entered the church. It broke open the cupboard in which copies of the Bible were kept and set fire to the holy books. After that, the mob torched the church.

US envoy expresses dismay

New Delhi: US Ambassador Timothy J. Roemer said on Monday that he was “dismayed” by reports about violence in Kashmir and Punjab triggered by reports of burning of the Koran in the US and appealed for calm. “The deliberate destruction of any holy book is an abhorrent act. We strongly support the local authorities’ appeal for calm and an end to the violence,” he said. — TNS

The mob then threw stones at the burning church and at police vehicles. It set on fire a PCR motorcycle and damaged the jeep of SHO Onkar Singh, who had reached the spot by then. SDM Gurloveleen Singh Sidhu and DSP Sukhdev Singh Virk also reached the church. A news journalist was also attacked and beaten up and a news channel’s cameraperson’s camera snatched. The police rounded up some persons, but they were later released.

The situation in the town remained tense throughout the night and Punjab Police rushed reinforcements. DIG Patiala range Jitendra Kumar

Jain reached here today with a large police posse. He told mediapersons at the Rest House here that a probe was on to ascertain the origin of the SMS.

Religious leaders from the Muslim and Christian communities met district administration officials today and appealed to the people to maintain calm. The town has a population of nearly 1.1 lakh, over half of it Muslim. Not even a single incident of communal violence was reported from the formerly princely state during Partition.

Those booked include four Mili Council leaders. Identified as Mohammed Usman, Ajmat Ali Khan, Abdul Rehman, Mohammed Anwar Sadiki and Taheer Kiyami, they have been charged with intending to outrage religious feelings and voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty. As many as 150-odd members of the mob were also booked.

Tension was also reported from Bathinda and Jalandhar today with members of Muslim bodies holding protests raising slogans against the US and Pastor Terry Jones. The Florida Pastor had threatened to burn copies of the Quran on the anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks.

Sangrur Deputy Commissioner Harkesh Singh Sidhu said relaxation in curfew would be decided on Tuesday morning after reviewing the situation. (With inputs from agencies)

3. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Dont these bearded idiots know Jesus is on equal footing with Prophet Muhammad ? and not to mention both religions worship same God.

I hate ignorant people.

If only i had power...i would sentence the ring leaders to death and have them executed on the spot and jail sentence for there followers coupled with fine.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  4. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Only in India -> Muslims in a Sikh dominated State burn down 3 Churches

5. pankaj nema

pankaj nema Senior Member Senior Member

The Punjab police when it wants can get very tough with miscreants as we have seen how they knocked out the terrorists.

In this case however vote bank politics will prevent tough action.
    You see elections are coming in Bihar.

6. neo29

neo29 Senior Member Senior Member

For such a rumor sms if general public can react like this, i wonder what will be the consequences during the Babri Masjid verdict on Sep 24.

7. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

I am not a supporter of dictatorships, but sometimes, I do feel we need a Stalin in India.

What differentiates Stalin from Hitler is that Stalin never discriminated against people based on their ethnic or religious backgrounds. He was equally harsh on people of all shades; a ruthless, sadistic yet extremely fair, unbiased and secular tyrant!

8. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I am surprised.

I haven't been to Malerkotla recently, but it was quite a peaceful town earlier. The Muslims out there are industrious zari and embroidery workers.

I wonder who sparked this violence.

There was also mob violence in Srinagar over this rumour.

It is very coincidental that two states where there are separatists and such chaps being supported by the ISI having violence over a rumour!

I have not heard of any other parts of India where such a thing has happened over this rumour! Or has there been?

9. nitesh

nitesh Mob Control Manager Stars and Ambassadors

Well there was tension in Bangalore when Mr. Saddam Hussian was hanged, I personally encountered that, when an auto rikshaw driver started abusing US over hanging of him. I asked why you are even bothered about that. And to my surprise the answer I got was Christians are slaughtering Muslims and Muslims should respond. So nothing new.

10. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

And I wonder what will be the auto chaps remarks if you told him that in Pakistan, Muslim soldiers are killing Muslim terrorists, which in any case, is a case of Muslims killing Muslims!

Muslims are not supposed to kill Muslims and such an act is worse than any other religious groups killing Muslims.

11. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

yes, i recall those street protests on delhi roads and then be stranded in traffic jams for hours :D

12. Illusive

Illusive Senior Member Senior Member

The world would be a better place if there were no religion, people think differently and these differences clash although the motive of both thinking may be same though, thats what people don't understand. Humans like to believe what they dont see and ignore what's happening in front of them. Pathetic.

13. nitesh

Sir the problem is that they are not ready to listen anything. Don't know why they are not able to comprehend this simple thing that they are getting utilized

14. nitesh

I think this behavior was explained a little bit in the movie "Kingdom of Heaven". The particular dialog comes to the mind is:

Q: What is Jerusalem worth

A: Nothing...............................Everything

15. Singh

There is nothing to add to this thread. If somebody wants to make a comment please PM me and if its worthwhile this thread will be opened.

16. Singh

Muslims rebuild Christian Church in Punjab

After Sunday’s violence, Malerkotla, a predominantly Muslim town 60 km from Ludhiana, witnessed a fine example of communal harmony. Amjad Ali, the CMD of Sohrab Group of Industries and a member of one of the oldest families of the area, came forward to repair the damaged church and install new furniture. His efforts ensured that an all religion prayer meeting could be held there at 3 pm on Tuesday.

--------------

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.