Earthquake with magnitude of 8.9 has struck near Indonesia

H.A.

Reports suggest that the tsunami may not be major as the wave has moved horizontally instead of vertically. No waves noticed so far in Andaman and Nicobar Islands; tsunami virtually ruled out, says NDMA vice president Sasidhra Reddy.
you mean it is travelling East to West instead of North to South?

Galaxy

Country flag
you mean it is travelling East to West instead of North to South?
As per early report, It was East to West, But according to IBN, It was Diverted towards South. Anyways, The NDMA says that the tsunami is virtually ruled out.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Yes in Bangalore, lot of people are reporting that they felt the tremors, but no news of damage yet.

God help people

plugwater

Reports suggest that the tsunami may not be major as the wave has moved horizontally instead of vertically. No waves noticed so far in Andaman and Nicobar Islands; tsunami virtually ruled out, says NDMA vice president Sasidhra Reddy.
Sorry, i dont understand!! Can you explain ? Thanks.

johnnyboy

News coming in that tsunami alert called off in India... good God! hope this is genuine news...

Iamanidiot

In 2004 I was in my first year of engineering on december 26th December I was right at the beach on morning 6:30 bullying my seniors who ragged me.I felt the tremors even then and I even saw the waves coming near the road that was the surreal moment for me

Galaxy

Country flag
Sorry, i dont understand!! Can you explain ? Thanks.
I don't know. Note sure. I just posted from IBN source. It's quite confusing now. :scared2:

Timesnow saying 17mm waves approaching but NDMA saying "no waves" :confused:

H.A.

I don't know. Note sure. I just posted from IBN source. It's quite confusing now. :scared2:

You mean 17 Meters....????

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
Hope Srilanka wont sink :devious:

And i dont think Tsunami is going to be that hard as last one even i dont believe it will come this time

Galaxy

Country flag
Its a shame that we have to depend on UNESCO, US, Japanese websites to get info on Tsunami. Their government have such good systems in place. We need to have good system. Looks like we have not learnt anything from earlier calamity except all media houses giving different and confusing info .

Last edited:

johnnyboy

As per Times Now, its the earthquake motion that was horizontal which minimizes the tsunami threat. The one that stuck in 2004 was a vertical motion earthquake and hence the tsunami.

They are saying 17-30 mm waves approaching... I wonder whether it would make any considerable impact.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag

H.A.

As per Times Now, its the earthquake motion that was horizontal which minimizes the tsunami threat. The one that stuck in 2004 was a vertical motion earthquake and hence the tsunami.
Does it mean that the plates sided or rubbed each other...instead of clashing into each other with one plate going above the other.

They are saying 17-30 mm waves approaching... I wonder whether it would make any considerable impact.
Am I missing something....17 mm means millimeter right?

johnnyboy

Does it mean that the plates sided or rubbed each other...instead of clashing into each other with one plate going above the other.
Am I missing something....17 mm means millimeter right?
Yes, that's what they are saying... 17 millimeters... which is not at all high. They are also saying there is no detection of low tides, which further reduces the possibility of tsunami.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Tsunami warming has been taken off.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles