Earthquake with magnitude of 8.9 has struck near Indonesia

Galaxy

Country flag
Large Aceh quake triggers Indian Ocean tsunami warning

An earthquake with an initial magnitude of 8.9 has struck under the sea off Indonesia's northern Aceh province.

The quake triggered a tsunami warning across the Indian Ocean region.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said it was not yet known whether a tsunami had been generated, but advised authorities to "take appropriate action".

The region is regularly hit by earthquakes. The Indian Ocean tsunami of 2004 killed 170,000 people in Aceh.

The US Geological Survey, which documents quakes worldwide, said the Aceh quake was centred 33km (20 miles) under the sea about 495km from Banda Aceh, the provincial capital.

The tsunami centre's warning said quakes of such a magnitude "have the potential to generate a widespread destructive tsunami that can affect coastlines across the entire Indian Ocean basin".

Reuters reports that people in the region were making their way to higher ground.

BBC News - Large Aceh quake triggers Indian Ocean tsunami warning

Galaxy

Country flag
Epicentre of earthquake is Band Aceh in Indonesia. Tremors felt in Mumbai and Delhi as well.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
I felt the tremors in my hostel, in Chennai, just fifteen mins back. Everyone felt it. :scared2:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Guys, there is a possibility of Tsunami no? So when is it most likely to strike? And is it safe to travel to south TN tonight from Chennai? I am travelling to my home town tonight, but dont know if it is safe:scared1:

H.A.

I heard tremors were felt in Kolkata as well...

Do we have an Indonesian member on DFI

plugwater

Guys, there is a possibility of Tsunami no? So when is it most likely to strike? And is it safe to travel to south TN tonight from Chennai? I am travelling to my home town tonight, but dont know if it is safe:scared1:
Your native is ?

My parents are in Nagercoil!! :scared2:

pankaj nema

Country flag
I think our Southern Coastal DIstricts of TN must have sounded out an alarm for the people
to move inside atleast 5 KM from the shore

H.A.

Calls not going to Andaman.....I know a few people there hope they are safe...

Galaxy

Country flag
P.S: All times are GMT/ Zulu. Current GMT - 0921. 1st wave at Greater Nicobar in 16 mins!!

Galaxy

Country flag
Tsunami centre Hyderabad issues notice for beaches to be evacuated. Also alert sounded in Andaman and Nicobar Islands,TN and Andhra Pradesh as per Indian Express!!

H.A.

a clear reminder of the 2004 episode....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles