Dutch hockey coach reluctant to return to Pak over security

Blackwater

Dutch hockey coach reluctant to return to Pak over security
Reuters
(12 hours ago) Today

Heuvel leads a team training session in Karachi.—AFP/File photo

KARACHI: Pakistan could lose their Dutch national team hockey coach Michel van den Heuvel who said on Thursday he was not keen to return because of security concerns.

"I have not made up my mind as yet whether to return to Pakistan but I have serious issues with the security. And I will not return until my concerns are addressed," he told a sports channel after taking time off for a winter break.

He said the security situation had become a bigger worry after last week's assassination of Punjab Governor Salman Taseer.

Heuvel could even end his contract with the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) despite having entered fresh negotiations to continue in the job until the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

However, he said that if the PHF held the team's training camps in the Netherlands and at other neutral venues he would be happy to continue.

"I have made my stance clear to them —now the PHF has to decide what to do," he added.

Heuvel, who guided Pakistan to their first Asian Games hockey gold medal for 20 years last month in China, was hired by the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) after the national team finished bottom of their group at last year's World Cup.

"I was focused on raising the profile of the Pakistan team again and also trying to help the PHF to get teams to tour Pakistan but the situation has changed now," he said.

PHF official Rana Mujahid said they were still in talks, adding: "He is still our coach and nothing is final as yet".

:mod::balle::balle::balle::balle:

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Any white non Muslim guy (who is not part of a diplomatic mission) who takes a civilian job in Pakistan, ought to go and see a neurosurgeon and have his head examined.

Blackwater

Iam surprized how the hell he accepted to go to pak at first place. must be despo gora.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles