Dutch conquest of Britain-Glorious Revolution of 1688

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Peter, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Peter

Peter Senior Member Senior Member

Dutch conquest of Britain-Glorious Revolution of 1688

Glorious Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

maomao and Illusive like this.
  3. Peter

Ok so here is another successful invasion of Great Britain.
    Britain has been invaded repeatedly it seems. One was done by the Romans,another invasion was carried out by the Saxons and the Vikings, the Franco-Norman duke William carried out one in 1066 and finally William of Orange completed the final one.

4. Peter

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  5. Peter

Just look at the comments in the video. The butt hurt British cannot stomach the truth.

6. apple

apple Tihar Jail Banned

Suspect they might know their British History a bit better than you. William of Orange was related by both descent, as well as, marriage (weird, sick times back then...) to James II. He was barely any more foreign than any other British King and his "invasion force" was what??? 250 guys?

Whoever called it a foreign invasion was, to use an appropriate internet term, a troll.

Legitimate historians have largely focused on the Europe wide war between Protestants and Roman Catholics which William III's arrival in England was part of.

7. Peter

@apple sir

No there is still a debate whether it is a foreign invasion or a glorious revolution. The Dutch consider it to be an invasion. The English don`t think so. William was related to James II but he was an Oranje prince. Also he pressed his wife`s claims to the throne. Even after his wife died he ruled England and was also a stadholder there in his Dutch homeland. Also you are wrong with the numbers.

The Dutch force consisted of 25,000 solders.(Not 250 soldiers as per your claim.) Also the Dutch fleet was larger than the Spanish Armada. Here are the sources form Wikipedia. I would like to here the counter points from you.

Glorious Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Note: Wikipedia states the number as 40,000 but I think it was 25,000 as per another source.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  8. apple

apple Tihar Jail Banned

It's very polite of you to call me sir, but that's really not very appropriate.

I understand what your "debate" is about. But, to me, it's confined to academic circles and is totally meaningless and misguided.

I quoted 250 Dutch soldiers because I know that only 250 Dutch soldiers were involved in combat during the "invasion" at the Battle of Reading (where, from memory they fought against mainly Irish soldiers).

You, and the people trying the make the case for the Glorious Revolution being an invasion, are looking at History from the prespective of modern times. The concept of nationality was far different in the Europe of that period than what it became 400 years later.

Your own Wikipedia articles mentions: "The Dutch army was composed mostly of foreign mercenaries; there were Dutch, Scots, English, German, Swiss, and Swedish regiments, even Laplanders[50] as well as "200 Blacks brought from the Plantations of the Netherlands in America",[67] thus from the colony of Surinam. Many of the mercenaries were Catholic.[68] William had his personal guard regiment with him, the Dutch Blue Guards. In response to the threat James had raised five new regiments of foot and five of horse, as well as bringing in Scottish and Irish soldiers. Louis XIV also sent James 300,000 livres."

The Dutch, along with the long list of other nationalities that comprised William's army, did eventually fight during the "invasion" but it long after the landing, in Ireland, and alot of their opponents were French.

England's next king, after William of Orange, was a German who'd never been in Britain and only distantly related to the Tudors (or whoever). No one talks about a German invasion then.

Anyway, this is a big, complicated topic. If you want to call it an invasion, sure, I don't really care and you're not entirely wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
    Peter likes this.