Dutch apologize for Indonesia massacre

charlyondfi

Dutch apologize for 1947 Indonesia massacre

The Dutch government has apologised for a massacre committed by its soldiers in Indonesia in 1947, as the country fought for independence.

Dutch ambassador Tjeerd de Zwaan spoke at a ceremony in Balongsari village, formerly known as Rawagede, where at least 150 people were killed.

He said the massacre was a tragedy and apologised in English and Indonesian.

Earlier this year, a court in the Netherlands ordered the government to pay compensation over the killings.

The case was brought by relatives of those who were killed.

Reports said the Netherlands would pay 20,000 euros to the relatives, but lawyers say the exact figure is still being negotiated.

The BBC's Karishma Vaswani in Balongsari says the ruling is expected to lead to more claims from Indonesians who were mistreated during the Netherlands' colonial rule.

Mr de Zwaan said he hoped the formal apology would allow the families of the victims of the tragedy to close an exceedingly difficult chapter of their lives.

"On behalf of the Dutch government, I apologise for the tragedy that took place in Rawagede on the 9th of December, 1947," he said.

When he repeated the apology in Indonesian, some relatives of the victims broke down in tears.

The Netherlands had previously expressed regret over the killings, but never formally apologised.

Most of current-day Indonesia was ruled by the Netherlands from the 19th Century until World War II, when the Japanese army forced out the Dutch.

When the Dutch attempted to reassert control after the defeat of the Japanese, they met fierce resistance.

The Netherlands finally recognised Indonesia's independence in 1949.

The video clip on Washington Post, just link:
Dutch apologize for Indonesia massacre - The Washington Post

-- supplemental: Dutch soldiers massacred up to 430 men and boys during Indonesia's battle for independence during the breakdown of the global colonial system. http://m.christianpost.com/news/dutch-apologize-for-indonesia-massacre-six-decades-later-64513/

NO blame to those soldiers just following order, but simply who give it. May the colonial era, no matter 21 century type or any before, really disappear. My personal true addiction to disagree any justification with achievements old emperail countries left behind -- so much untold tragedy behind... ...

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I applaud the Dutch for this action. It takes courage to admit past wrongdoings, but once admitted everyone can move on.

Now the real question is when a certain island located across a certain channel will give apologies to the rest of the world.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Except for Bengal famine and Jallianwala Bagh Tragedy they don't have much to apologise.

We brought it upon our own heads.

indian_sukhoi

ejazr

Ambassador
Except for Bengal famine and Jallianwala Bagh Tragedy they don't have much to apologise.

We brought it upon our own heads.
Are you serious? You should read how ruthlessly they put down the the First war of Independence in 1857 and the ruthlessness with which they put down non-violent demonstrators from NWFP to Bengal in the 1900s. The Bengal famine itself resulted in the deaths of millions. In 1805, India contributed to 25% of the global economy which was reduced to 2% within a 100 years.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Are you serious? You should read how ruthlessly they put down the the First war of Independence in 1857 and the ruthlessness with which they put down non-violent demonstrators from NWFP to Bengal in the 1900s.
The reason a motley group of traders could conquer and rule us for 200 years shows where the fault lies. I'm sorry the fault is not with them but with us.

Yes, they put down the 1857 rebellion only because they had loyal troops (slaves) from all over the SC - from Punjabis to Gorkhas to Pathans who were willing to do their bidding against the natives.

The Bengal famine itself resulted in the deaths of millions. In 1805, India contributed to 25% of the global economy which was reduced to 2% within a 100 years.
I said they should apologise for the Bengal famine and Jallianwala Bagh massacre.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I applaud the Dutch for this action. It takes courage to admit past wrongdoings, but once admitted everyone can move on.

Now the real question is when a certain island located across a certain channel will give apologies to the rest of the world.
If John Bull started to give apologies it would never end. As for moving on, it is not that simple. Once the apology is made, demands for reparations begin. Probably the reason the Turks do not apologize to the Armenians.

As for Great Britain, remember this?
Take up the White Man's burden--
Send forth the best ye breed--
Go bind your sons to exile
To serve your captives' need;
To wait in heavy harness,
On fluttered folk and wild--
Your new-caught, sullen peoples,
Half-devil and half-child.

In patience to abide,
To veil the threat of terror
And check the show of pride;
By open speech and simple,
An hundred times made plain
To seek another's profit,
And work another's gain.

The savage wars of peace--
Fill full the mouth of Famine
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
The end for others sought,
Watch sloth and heathen Folly
Bring all your hopes to nought.

No tawdry rule of kings,
But toil of serf and sweeper--
The tale of common things.
The ports ye shall not enter,
The roads ye shall not tread,
Go mark them with your living,
And mark them with your dead.

And reap his old reward:
The blame of those ye better,
The hate of those ye guard--
The cry of hosts ye humour
(Ah, slowly!) toward the light:--
"Why brought he us from bondage,
Our loved Egyptian night?"

Ye dare not stoop to less--
Nor call too loud on Freedom
To cloke your weariness;
By all ye cry or whisper,
By all ye leave or do,
The silent, sullen peoples
Shall weigh your gods and you.

Have done with childish days--
The lightly proferred laurel,
The easy, ungrudged praise.
Comes now, to search your manhood
Through all the thankless years
Cold, edged with dear-bought wisdom,
The judgment of your peers!

p2prada

NO blame to those soldiers just following order, but simply who give it. May the colonial era, no matter 21 century type or any before, really disappear. My personal true addiction to disagree any justification with achievements old emperail countries left behind -- so much untold tragedy behind... ...
Soldiers are accountable for murder. Following orders isn't an excuse.

charlyondfi

Soldiers are accountable for murder. Following orders isn't an excuse.
My point is to highlight those untold tragedy happening all around in colonial period. So I do NOT intend to argue with you on the accountability of individuals in war. Yet, let me provide one of my favorite dialogue (ironically, it's from a British writer)
"Any cold & well planned plot to take lives is evil, because you has put something - from greed to hatred - beyond a life."
"How about those soldiers in war?"
"You don't understand: soldiers are asked NOT to, and most of cases NOT allowed to, tell what is evil and what is good in war. That's the most troubling part for war."

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
We can note the inhumanity of the colonial period, but to do so is just a mental exercise when we ignore the inhumanity that is occurring on the planet at this very moment. More people die from being forgotten than by aggression. Corrupt politicians have more blood on their hands than any army. Look at the UN today with its priority on "anthropogenic global warming" rather than the real plight of people in Africa or other places.

charlyondfi

We can note the inhumanity of the colonial period, but to do so is just a mental exercise when we ignore the inhumanity that is occurring on the planet at this very moment. More people die from being forgotten than by aggression. Corrupt politicians have more blood on their hands than any army. Look at the UN today with its priority on "anthropogenic global warming" rather than the real plight of people in Africa or other places.
I do get your point, Ewald. And you can say it's getting to a core topic against/for my disapproval on colonization -- exactly what and who is a better governance (government). That logic goes on and we will start to compare which (who) cause more brutality -- 450 men & boys murdered, or tens of thousands communists (PKI) massacre at 1965, by Indonesian own people (government)? And so on, and so on...

I do NOT want to get into this too quick. For now, I only want to repeat what I said: let's try NOT to justify colonization with any legacy left behind, as there can be so much tear and blood yet found & told...

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
How about for systematically destroying the Indian economy by banning Indian goods throughout the world, thereby destroying the market and forcing millions of Indians who were once professional and highly skilled artisans into destitute conditions, and then starving those millions of economically devastated Indians to death through food confiscation and high taxes meant to pay for costly campaigns like the invasions of Egypt and Mesopotamia (and also to maintain the very same army that oppressed them) which brought no benefit whatsoever to the Indian population? Sorry for the run-on sentence.

I'm actually willing to forgive and forget all the crimes against humanity committed by Europeans between the 16th and 20th centuries. I don't care if they pay reparations either. What really pisses me off is that, even today, there are lots of Europeans (Britishers especially) who think that their country/continent had a positive impact on the world. That attitude/mentality is something that I absolutely cannot stand.

charlyondfi

I'm actually willing to forgive and forget all the crimes against humanity committed by Europeans between the 16th and 20th centuries. I don't care if they pay reparations either. What really pisses me off is that, even today, there are lots of Europeans (Britishers especially) who think that their country/continent had a positive impact on the world. That attitude/mentality is something that I absolutely cannot stand.
Very exactly: perhaps some will call it's different perception/value point of view. Nevertheless, from those victims, it's hypocrisy the minimum...

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
badi jaldi yaad a gaya!!! why it is always required to outperform masters in economics to get an apology??
We're yet to receive an apology from someone. But that is because our own so-called leaders are the slaves that British left back in the country to continue their rule who because of democratic apologetic attitude cultivated in our country, cannot be removed till date.

The punishment for those atrocities is that the certain colonizer must stay at the mercy of our country for the coming two centuries.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
We're yet to receive an apology from someone. But that is because our own so-called leaders are spineless.
More likely because the economic slowdown hasn't really taken its toll yet. Expect better from 2020.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles