DRDO to test indigenous scram jet engine next year

Ganesh2691

Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) will test the indigenously developed scram jet engine next year, according to DRDO chief VK Saraswat.

"We have demonstrated the performance of a scram jet engine operating at Mach six speed (six times the speed of sound)," he said in an interview given to Doordarshan.

Theoretical projections place the top speed of a scramjet between Mach 12 (15,000 kmph) and Mach 24 (29,000 kmph), according to Wikipedia.

The fastest air-breathing aircraft is a SCRAM jet design, the NASA X-43A, which reached Mach 9.8. For comparison, the second fastest air-breathing aircraft, the manned SR-71 Blackbird, has a cruising speed of Mach 3.2.

After the successful launch of Agni-5 Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM), India is all set to develop reusable rockets which will combine the technologies of both ballistic and cruise missiles.

On the range of Agni-5 missile, which was successfully test-fired recently off Odisha coast, he said with moderate modifications, "it can be extended to any range which is of our interest."

On the technological capability available with the agency, he said: "DRDO has built the necessary technologies, production infrastructure and design capability for developing a booster or a sustainer.

"We have the capability to develop a re-entry nose cone which can withstand higher temperature and velocity."

Reacting to reports that India does not possess sufficient indigenous technology for missile guidance systems, Saraswat said Agni-5 has used a completely indigenous and high precision missile guidance system with "0.001 degrees of per hour accuracy."

On criticism that DRDO sometimes does not live up to expectations, he said the agency was as good as its counterparts in advanced countries.

"The Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), F-18 and Eurofighter took similar number of years and cost wise they were three times more than what we have put in our LCA," he said.

On the development of the Kaveri engine, Saraswat said it has performed well and was, "flown on an IL-76 aircraft in Russia for 55 hours of successful flight. We are going to upgrade it so that it can be used in India's LCA Mark-II and future systems."

DRDO to test indigenous scram jet engine next year | idrw.org

Defcon 1

Country flag
I remember reading a news months ago which said that we already have scram jet engines. Was I dreaming or did anyone else read it too?

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) will test the indigenously developed scram jet engine next year, according to DRDO chief VK Saraswat.

"We have demonstrated the performance of a scram jet engine operating at Mach six speed (six times the speed of sound)," he said in an interview given to Doordarshan.....etc etc etc
sounds good - hope it is accurate and walk the talk ....best wishes to DRDO hope they succeed

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It is DRDO, what else is there to expect but failure?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The DRDO will perfect a scram jet engine before it perfects a proper frontline fighter jet engine? It certainly has its own way of prioritising...

bose

Country flag
Or maybe you will. We are testing our scramjet off a Tu-22 in a few months.
What a shame that you started comparing yourself with India... If I take your word for the the time being for argument then we are behind you for some months or so... Is it not bad...

BTW I can assure you we do not need your help in scramjet engine...

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
What a shame that you started comparing yourself with India... If I take your word for the the time being for argument then we are behind you for some months or so... Is it not bad...

BTW I can assure you we do not need your help in scramjet engine...
Why not? You need ours or someone elses help for just about everything thanks to DRDOs total failure to provide indigenisation. The only country with more advanced scram jet research is the US and they aren't going to share.

bose

Country flag
Why not? You need ours or someone elses help for just about everything thanks to DRDOs total failure to provide indigenisation. The only country with more advanced scram jet research is the US and they aren't going to share.
We need help from others ONLY to bridge the time [technology] GAP and not to reinvent the wheel again since one has already done it, similarly you also need India for money to continue your business it is mutual and not a one sided as most of you westerners think of... Just think what "help" we have given to you by selecting Rafale when it was grasping for life unable to get customers... now you see what will happen to Eurofighter Typhoon with so few customers in sight and difficult times ahead to even continue the necesary upgrades and R&D if they do not get bulk orders in future.

On the bolded part:

It is a wrong statement [not sure if there is any fire at your back side... please watch out for it...] as I can give you a good real world example, when I was growing up I used to think why India have to run to European Space agency for lifting of any / all Satelites... now after after 15 years or so we do not have to go to them any more except in the case of very heavy satelites... and that too in couple of years we will get our own lunch capability and self relaience... So the morale of the story is as I have to said in the first paragraph we have to bridge the time / technology gap and not reinvent the wheel again and again...

DRDO has its share of failures no doubt but who has not ?? We understood that very well and this very same organization will come out strong... mark my words... we will make it happen... we want an organization that learns th hard way and comes out stronger...

Ending Note:

I am assuming you to be a senior member with better knowledge on defense matters than myself... and also you are not in a troll mission here...

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
We have three projects going side by side.

1. HSTDV by DRDO
2 Advanced Technology Vehicle and other by ISRO
3. Brahmos-II by Brahmos corporation (JV Russia and India).

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
We need help from others ONLY to bridge the time [technology] GAP and not to reinvent the wheel again since one has already done it, similarly you also need India for money to continue your business it is mutual and not a one sided as most of you westerners think of... Just think what "help" we have given to you by selecting Rafale when it was grasping for life unable to get customers... now you see what will happen to Eurofighter Typhoon with so few customers in sight and difficult times ahead to even continue the necesary upgrades and R&D if they do not get bulk orders in future.
All DRDO tries to do is reinvent the wheel. Instead of working on high performance tires they work on tricycle wheels like bug spray and seeds. France has the most balanced arms export portfolio by region of any dealer. To date, Brasil has bought as many weapon systems as India has. When you sign Rafale MoD might lick your boot for a minute, but that day has yet to come. Typhoon is a poorly run programme and the prime example of why single state initiatives turn out better.

It is a wrong statement [not sure if there is any fire at your back side... please watch out for it...] as I can give you a good real world example, when I was growing up I used to think why India have to run to European Space agency for lifting of any / all Satelites... now after after 15 years or so we do not have to go to them any more except in the case of very heavy satelites... and that too in couple of years we will get our own lunch capability and self relaience... So the morale of the story is as I have to said in the first paragraph we have to bridge the time / technology gap and not reinvent the wheel again and again...
Isn't GSLV still a failure? Every time I watch a launch it explodes. 4/4 failed launches is about as bad a record as you can get and putting India nowhere close to self sufficiency. That is an ISRO project as well which will work with DRDO on scramjets. :tsk:

DRDO has its share of failures no doubt but who has not ?? We understood that very well and this very same organization will come out strong... mark my words... we will make it happen... we want an organization that learns th hard way and comes out stronger...
What failures has France had? Everything we develop comes out a success. We have realistic goals and achieve them on limited budgets and decent time. The average DGA project only runs 3 months behind schedule. DRDO is like 30 years.

I am assuming you to be a senior member with better knowledge on defense matters than myself... and also you are not in a troll mission here...
I have been a member of DFI for awhile now, and after years of observation I have yet to see one success except Agni, and even that is hit and miss.

bose

Country flag
All DRDO tries to do is reinvent the wheel. Instead of working on high performance tires they work on tricycle wheels like bug spray and seeds. France has the most balanced arms export portfolio by region of any dealer. To date, Brasil has bought as many weapon systems as India has. When you sign Rafale MoD might lick your boot for a minute, but that day has yet to come. Typhoon is a poorly run programme and the prime example of why single state initiatives turn out better.
Typical ranting when one is out of arguments... Chest thumping does not drive one's point...

You talk bull sheet with no knowledge what DRDO does or doing... With your economy shrinking each year it is your turn to lick others boots or else see more un employment in your society and unrest... I do not think you are qualified enough to talk about Euro Fighter Typhoon programs, first earn that respect to be heard...

Isn't GSLV still a failure? Every time I watch a launch it explodes. 4/4 failed launches is about as bad a record as you can get and putting India nowhere close to self sufficiency. That is an ISRO project as well which will work with DRDO on scramjets. :tsk:
It is a failure so what ??? Does it mean we cannot come out success next time ?? Did not NASA had failures ??
Who told you that that ISRO cannot succeed with GSLV program in future ??? Does ISRO record suggest that ??

ISRO has already ended your monopoly on satellite lunches and we have showed to world that we can send satellites 1/5 the cost of yours...
We will put you out of business very shortly... already we are lunching satellites for Isreal, Japan and others...

What failures has France had? Everything we develop comes out a success. We have realistic goals and achieve them on limited budgets and decent time. The average DGA project only runs 3 months behind schedule. DRDO is like 30 years.
Did not Ariane rocket had failures ??? Whom you are fooling ?? Every country had failures and France is no exception... We do not go around pointing failures of others unlike you... I

I have been a member of DFI for awhile now, and after years of observation I have yet to see one success except Agni, and even that is hit and miss.
You are a bloody hypocrite and blind with racist overtures unable to digest good of others... your days are numbered ... no wonders why the Germans make fun of French peoples.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Typical ranting when one is out of arguments... Chest thumping does not drive one's point...

You talk bull sheet with no knowledge what DRDO does or doing... With your economy shrinking each year it is your turn to lick others boots or else see more un employment in your society and unrest... I do not think you are qualified enough to talk about Euro Fighter Typhoon programs, first earn that respect to be heard...
I read all the CAG reports and MoDs internal audit of DRDO. India isn't some secret society that hides incompetence like China, it lays it out for the whole world to see. Whose economy is shrinking? Ours is growing the same as it always does, slowly. You however are facing your first budget cuts in over a decade.

Indian MoD To Review Defence Projects Amid Possible Budget Cuts : Defense news

Are you more qualified to talk about Eurofighter? Is it a must watch to your investment portfolio? I didn't think so. :rolleyes:

It is a failure so what ??? Does it mean we cannot come out success next time ?? Did not NASA had failures ??
Who told you that that ISRO cannot succeed with GSLV program in future ??? Does ISRO record suggest that ??
Uh, the only thing we have to go on is track records. If you fail for decades should I expect you to succeed next time? ISRO is responsible for GSLV so yes, its record does suggest that.

ISRO has already ended your monopoly on satellite lunches and we have showed to world that we can send satellites 1/5 the cost of yours...
We will put you out of business very shortly... already we are lunching satellites for Isreal, Japan and others...
You think PSLV is putting Kourou out of business? :lol: One Ariane 5 LEO sync is worth 21 PSLV launches. The new Vega launch system will cover the low end of the market. It is the most important commercial space port in the world.

Did not Ariane rocket had failures ??? Whom you are fooling ?? Every country had failures and France is no exception... We do not go around pointing failures of others unlike you... I
2 failures out of 66 launches... who are you fooling? :laugh:

You are a bloody hypocrite and blind with racist overtures unable to digest good of others... your days are numbered ... no wonders why the Germans make fun of French peoples.
You should hear what Germans say about Indians. :shocked:

bose

Country flag
I read all the CAG reports and MoDs internal audit of DRDO. India isn't some secret society that hides incompetence like China, it lays it out for the whole world to see. Whose economy is shrinking? Ours is growing the same as it always does, slowly. You however are facing your first budget cuts in over a decade.

Indian MoD To Review Defence Projects Amid Possible Budget Cuts : Defense news

Are you more qualified to talk about Eurofighter? Is it a must watch to your investment portfolio? I didn't think so. :rolleyes: :
So do I ... what does the report says, DRDO is doomed for failure ?? We do not hide our problems and that is the first necessary step to for us to come out of it...

I am not an arm chair general and have enough intelligence to pick all Bull Shitt from guys like you...

Uh, the only thing we have to go on is track records. If you fail for decades should I expect you to succeed next time? ISRO is responsible for GSLV so yes, its record does suggest that.

You think PSLV is putting Kourou out of business? :lol: One Ariane 5 LEO sync is worth 21 PSLV launches. The new Vega launch system will cover the low end of the market. It is the most important commercial space port in the world.

2 failures out of 66 launches... who are you fooling? :laugh:
Here you go...You were claiming that you did not have any failures in one of your earlier posts... Now come to the point... so you have also failures right ?... ISRO is already giving you a very stiff challenge as we have already started lunching for other countries as mentioned earlier posts...

Compare where ISRO was 20 years ago and where it is now... you get the answer...

All these European blah blah space agency will eventually make way for Indans & Chinese ... you people will lose out by sheer economics... Go and see on of your market stores near you... Did you see anything there??

I was shocked to see these so called european countries are so dependent on China on every damm goods, now it is hard to find and made in UK or France or Germany stuff... Your pride is already gone... This bogey of high technology blah blah and what not will also be gone from you in 5 to 10 years...

BTW do some research honestly with out a baised mind and check the track record of PSLV... and let me know...

You should hear what Germans say about Indians. :shocked:
I have worked in Hamburg for 2 years on one of my assignment... I never heard Germans saying bad things towards us Indians nor I have faced any discriminatons there, unlike I had to face vibes in United Kingdom... . I have found Germans very straight forward an honest in their dealings very unlike the English & French who are the most mean minded and cowardly people on this planet...

BTW... Please elaborate what you have heard from Germans ???

shashi

This dick measuring contest is going nowhere.Let the French think theirs is bigger ! Cheers to them !:wave:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
It is DRDO, what else is there to expect but failure?
Thats a lot to say when your sitting inside NATO and getting tech transfers for a lot of your stuff, if you went it alone France would not have finished most of its R&D.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles