DRDO tests 1000 kg class indigenous guided glide bomb

karn

Country flag
Re: India Successfully Tests One Ton Glide Bomb. Why That's Important

Are you sure you really know about this?

Let's have a look of S300:

S-300 (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
"The S-300 system was developed to defend against aircraft and cruise missiles for the Soviet Air Defence Forces. Subsequent variations were developed to intercept ballistic missiles."
So what are you even trying to say ?So now everything will now be dealt with by S 300 type of missiles? I cannot think of a better way of bankrupting the military.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS-11_Kilter

Is that how you used to discuss? Run out of one argument, then jump into another object?
We are talking about WZ10 which is equipped with Wo Zhou 9 last minute, then you bring in WZ16 engine which didn't even mass produce before 2014.

Good work.
Oh my mistake ... China often inducts substandard engines that does meet their own requirements only to substitute them for a foreign engine and then crows about "indigenous" development . A lot of countries design substandard engines (read India) but they do not have a luxury of a benevolent military that inducts it regardless.
Im perfectly fine with sticking to the point that the Z10 is a Kamov design fitted with the best equipment that China could design which were then substituted with a french engine because the local product was inferior .Which is fine ,the PLA got a fine machine at the end of it , but don't try telling me about it being a significantly local design .

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag

So what are you even trying to say ?So now everything will now be dealt with by S 300 type of missiles? I cannot think of a better way of bankrupting the military.
AS-11 Kilter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am trying to say it: oppose to what you said, aircraft is the original target for these kind of long range air-defence missiles, anti-missile is the additional function which was added in later.

Oh my mistake ... China often inducts substandard engines that does meet their own requirements only to substitute them for a foreign engine and then crows about "indigenous" development . A lot of countries design substandard engines (read India) but they do not have a luxury of a benevolent military that inducts it regardless.
Im perfectly fine with sticking to the point that the Z10 is a Kamov design fitted with the best equipment that China could design which were then substituted with a french engine because the local product was inferior .Which is fine ,the PLA got a fine machine at the end of it , but don't try telling me about it being a significantly local design .
Now you are jumping to the quality of Chinese indigenous engine.

karn

Country flag

I am trying to say it: oppose to what you said, aircraft is the original target for these kind of long range air-defence missiles, anti-missile is the additional function which was added in later.
When did i say that ?

Prashant12

Country flag
DRDO successfully tests 'glide bombs' in Pokhran

Jodhpur: India has moved closer to self-dependence in precision-guided 'smart glide bombs' as it conducted covert trials of these bombs successfully at Pokhran firing range in Jaisalmer on Friday.

Christened as 'Garuthmaa' and 'Garudaa', the 'glide bombs' are being indigenously developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

Of these two drop trials, the test of Garudaa, the non-winged glide-bomb, was carried out to evaluate its precision for a range of 30 kilometres on Thursday. In another set of drop trials on Friday, both Garudaa and 'Garuthmaa' were successfully tested from a Su-30 MKI aircraft.

Garuthmaa, the 1,000-kg winged smart glide bomb, was tested for its maximum 100-km range. Top DRDO officials termed the tests as a 'major success'.

It may be mentioned that the trials for a maximum range of 100 kilometres for this '1,000-kg' smart bomb have already been successfully held over the Bay of Bengal, off the Odisha Coast in December 2014 and then in 2015.

One covert trial scheduled for Friday was, however, kept pending due to erratic weather.

Sources in DRDO said that guided by on-board navigation systems, Garuthmaa was tested for its first phase of trials in Thar Desert for assessing its accuracy in hitting a target after gliding for 100 kilometres.

"The bomb was dropped from a Su-30 MKI aircraft for which we got full support from the Pune airbase. User, in this case the IAF, has been involved in development and related trials of this 'smart bomb' from the beginning", said an official, adding that non-winged Garudaa was tested for 30-km range and would be tested for bigger ranges (up to 100 km) in future. DRDO officials shared that the flight path, precision or accuracy, clearance after dropping and other parameters of 'Garuthmaa' were monitored by the radars and other electro-optic systems stationed at the firing range.

'Garudaa', the non-winged version of this guided bomb with a range of 30 kilometres was tested initially three years back. DRDO officials shared that contrary to the conventional 'dumb bombs' which take a free flight after being dropped, guided bombs like 'Guruthmaa' have winglets and on-board navigation and guidance systems enabling these to hit the target with precision after being dropped from varying heights.

Both 'Garuthmaa' and 'Garudaa' are a brainchild of various laboratories of DRDO including Research Centre Imarat in Hyderabad, Defence Avionics Research Establishment (DARE) in Bengaluru, Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory (TBRL) in Chandigarh, Armaments Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) in Pune.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ide-bombs-in-Pokhran/articleshow/53780015.cms

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles