DRDO tests 1000 kg class indigenous guided glide bomb

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Re: India Successfully Tests One Ton Glide Bomb. Why That's Important

There was a subtle humour in my comment. I am sure @Bhadra ji will understand. It has something to do with Ornithology. :)
ahhhh no offence ...... boys will be .............. :wave:

Last edited by a moderator:

no smoking

Country flag

Ironically, you do not understand the difference between a Glide Bomb and a SAM.

Two different kettle of fish is a SAM and a GLIDE BOMB.

Chalk and Cheese!
Didn't some fools just claim that Indian plane can drop this glide bomb outside the operation range of Chinese surface to air missile system?

And your SAM is a copycat stuff.
It doesn't matter whether or it is a copycat as long as it can shoot down your plane from 200km.

India is indeed yet to learn how to copycat (as they do in everything) and claim it as its own original as China can do with a straight face and without any shame.
No, India is playing even better: outsource the designing work and then claim it as original.

Country flag

Heat Signature No.But is it stealthy? I think it is not as most of the reports suggest that Bombs were activly tracked via radars.So if our radars can track even enemy country radars can also track.Also Perhaps you can see RAM coating gliding bombs for stealth reason.I somehow believe that they will not go for modifying shape to attain stealth as it could affect Aerodyanimic factors and affect the ranges.

But then Glide bombs with low speeds are not really effective in highly defended bases if not fired in a Salvo of 100's. But it would definatly be used to destroy less defended targets in a cost effective manner and safely.

One more question is if we use seekers especially the RF seekers,dont we allow the position of bomb?
Why would they be unstealthy if they are low flying , no heat signature and radar absorbing skin?
Why would they be uneffective unless fired in a salvo? A one ton bomb will have a lot of destructive
Power over a wide circumference? What scenario would you fire in a salvo?

[video=youtube_share;FAYVMXYYAp4]http://youtu.be/FAYVMXYYAp4[/video]

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member

Glider bombs have range from 40-150 kms. Rocket assisted glibers range is 500 kms.

So what drdo has done is great with 100 kg bomb. Now imagine 1000 kgs of CL20 explosive which is equal to 15000 kgs of RDX. 15-20 of these bomb will reduce to ruble GHQ of PA.

We can also reduce the payload and add liquid rocket engine and extend the range. 500 kg of CL20 accurately place will take out big building at mote then 200 range.
CL-20 is very difficult to synthesize. Its extremely expensive, causes lots of waste of materials and has very small tolerance for error.
Mass producing it in quantity like 500kg per bomb is very very difficult if not impossible (though practically impossible).
Even of such bombs using CL-20 are commissioned they will be very expensive defeating the purpose of glide bomb i.e. cheap delivery of explosive over a large distance.

Last edited:

power_monger

Country flag

Why would they be unstealthy if they are low flying , no heat signature and radar absorbing skin?
Why would they be uneffective unless fired in a salvo? A one ton bomb will have a lot of destructive
Power over a wide circumference? What scenario would you fire in a salvo?

[video=youtube_share;FAYVMXYYAp4]http://youtu.be/FAYVMXYYAp4[/video]
Generally glide bombs will not fly in low altitude.To increase the range they glide from high altitude to low altitude.I do not debate that 1 ton bomb is devastative. But as for now i think it might not be stealthy as we desire.

karn

Country flag

Didn't some fools just claim that Indian plane can drop this glide bomb outside the operation range of Chinese surface to air missile system?

It doesn't matter whether or it is a copycat as long as it can shoot down your plane from 200km.

No, India is playing even better: outsource the designing work and then claim it as original.
But it outranges the vast plethora of Chinese SAMs . Now the airforce need not waste long range SEAD focused missiles on the lower range SAMs .
Why so mad . Everyone uses such glide bombs these days . It is why short range optronic guided anti air weapons are used .
Royalties are paid for any designs bought. No one claims it as original . Which is kinda the point .
Unlike some others ..http://aviationweek.com/blog/chinese-attack-helicopters-secret-russian-roots

Last edited:
Country flag

Generally glide bombs will not fly in low altitude.To increase the range they glide from high altitude to low altitude.I do not debate that 1 ton bomb is devastative. But as for now i think it might not be stealthy as we desire.
It is stealthy for most practical purposes . I would say it offers a big cost and strategic advantage.
Any roads, airfields and supply lines etc... can quickly be put out of commission.

Blood+

Country flag

Would it possible for you to point me to any article which suggests guide bomb with range beyond 50-60 km range without self propulsion.

I have been trying to find any news source confirming this since this news came out. Max I got is American JDAM-ER which is 80 km max range.

Then you should probably take a look at the Raytheon's AGM-154 Joint Standoff Weapon (JSOW).

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Glide Bombs are delivered via an aircraft unlike a missile.

The time of flight is way way less and so less detectable and intercepted.

The Standoff Weapon is a product that deploys a standardized medium range precision guided weapon, especially for engagement of defended targets from outside the range of standard anti-aircraft defences, thereby increasing aircraft survivability and minimizing friendly losses.

Win Win.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Such aircraft will adopted a low high low configuration.

Fly in low below radar, pull up to the ideal height for release and then release and then drop to a low low configuration to exit.

Ajeesh Kumar S

DRDO-Developed Low-Drag Glide-Bomb Data

The 1,000kg low-drag, high-explosive aerial bomb has been developed and is being produced by OFB Khamaria. The bomb, with a designation of Mk12, has a length of 4,000mm and weighs about 930kg.

The DRDO-developed 100km-range, 1,000kg low-drag glide-bomb has been jointly developed with Russia's Joint Stock Company 'Scientific Production Association Bazalt' (JSC SPA Bazalt) and its local industrial partner Basant Aerospace Pvt Ltd.

While the DRDO developed the on-board MINGS-based inertial and terminal navigation system, the glide-kits and rear-end structural sections have come from JSC SPA Bazalt. The PGM will be used primarily against static targets like bridges, railway junctions, and logistic hubs for POL and ammunition storage.

The Russia-origin glide-kit will also be used by the IAF's existing Mk11N high-explosive, 1,000lb low-drag aerial bombs.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
After looking at the pics, most of my earlier question on this issue is answered.

However i am beginning to think we use the word "indigenous" quite liberally around as far as DRDO is concerned. like being on time for a meeting in india as per IST generally means being anywhere between 15-30 mins late. either we have to start using another word in place of "indigenously" or DRDO has to publish a clarification on front page of every newspaper that from today "when ever DRDO means "indigenous" it actually means we co-developed with a foreign partner or 'Assembled in india". :frusty:

no smoking

Country flag

But it outranges the vast plethora of Chinese SAMs . Now the airforce need not waste long range SEAD focused missiles on the lower range SAMs .
Well, killing the coming offensive bombers is part of job of this kind of air-defence missile.

Why so mad . Everyone uses such glide bombs these days . It is why short range optronic guided anti air weapons are used.
Yes, everyone use this kind of bombs. But not everyone is lying to his pilots that they are flying outside the operational range of air defence missile.
And no, short range missiles are used to kill these planes that managed to penetrate your long range air defence network.

Royalties are paid for any designs bought. No one claims it as original . Which is kinda the point .
Unlike some others ..http://aviationweek.com/blog/chinese...-russian-roots
For god sake, the Russians only provide the consultancy work-aerodynamic design, while Chinese filled in with own parts-weapon system, fly control, electronics and most importantly engine (which designed/produced years later). Designing a helicopter completely based on foreign sub-systems (some didn't even exist at the time) is far beyond Russian's ability.

karn

Country flag

Well, killing the coming offensive bombers is part of job of this kind of air-defence missile.
What are you trying to say ?
Yes, everyone use this kind of bombs. But not everyone is lying to his pilots that they are flying outside the operational range of air defence missile.
I said that long range sams with their powerful radars are dealt with by Long range sead missiles and air launched cruise missiles that are outside the range of such missiles . Most medium range sams at lower level have a around 75 km slant range . If you rely on the long range sams to do everything the enemy already has an advantage .
And no, short range missiles are used to kill these planes that managed to penetrate your long range air defence network.
And yes , short range systems like Spyder , pansir and sonsa have destroying standoff systems like glide bombs as part of their job description .
For god sake, the Russians only provide the consultancy work-aerodynamic design, while Chinese filled in with own parts-weapon system, fly control, electronics and most importantly engine (which designed/produced years later). Designing a helicopter completely based on foreign sub-systems (some didn't even exist at the time) is far beyond Russian's ability.
Yea sure .. stick with that story .The Z10 is a russian design that was fitted with 3rd party components .. This follows the established design process as done on the J11 .
You mean this engine , the one that the Z10 needs to actually reach its required performance .
Turbomeca - Ardiden 3C / WZ16, the new Turbomeca / Avic engine
I was not aware that Turbomeca changed its nationality .

Last edited:

Twinblade

Country flag
After looking at the pics, most of my earlier question on this issue is answered.

However i am beginning to think we use the word "indigenous" quite liberally around as far as DRDO is concerned. like being on time for a meeting in india as per IST generally means being anywhere between 15-30 mins late. either we have to start using another word in place of "indigenously" or DRDO has to publish a clarification on front page of every newspaper that from today "when ever DRDO means "indigenous" it actually means we co-developed with a foreign partner or 'Assembled in india". :frusty:
Sengupta BSing again. Indian bomb's range is 100 Km and Russian bomb's range is 60 Km.

no smoking

Country flag

What are you trying to say ?

I said that long range sams with their powerful radars are dealt with by Long range sead missiles and air launched cruise missiles that are outside the range of such missiles . Most medium range sams at lower level have a around 75 km slant range . If you rely on the long range sams to do everything the enemy already has an advantage .
Are you sure you really know about this?

Let's have a look of S300:

S-300 (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
"The S-300 system was developed to defend against aircraft and cruise missiles for the Soviet Air Defence Forces. Subsequent variations were developed to intercept ballistic missiles."

Yea sure .. stick with that story .The Z10 is a russian design that was fitted with 3rd party components .. This follows the established design process as done on the J11 .
You mean this engine , the one that the Z10 needs to actually reach its required performance .
Turbomeca - Ardiden 3C / WZ16, the new Turbomeca / Avic engine
I was not aware that Turbomeca changed its nationality .
Is that how you used to discuss? Run out of one argument, then jump into another object?
We are talking about WZ10 which is equipped with Wo Zhou 9 last minute, then you bring in WZ16 engine which didn't even mass produce before 2014.

Good work.

Last edited:

Global Defence

Articles