DRDO tests 1000 kg class indigenous guided glide bomb

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
India Successfully Tests One Ton Glide Bomb.

India Successfully Tests One Ton Glide Bomb

NEW DELHI: India today tested a one ton indigenously-developed glide bomb which successfully hit a target 100 kms away.

The precision-guided bomb, tested in the Bay of Bengal off the coast of Odisha, was dropped by an Indian Air Force aircraft.

The bomb, guided by its on board navigation system, glided for nearly 100 km before hitting the target with "great precision," said the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), which constructed it.

Several radars tracked the flight of the bomb which was developed by multiple centres linked to DRDO.

According to Dr G Satheesh Reddy, the Director of the DRDO's Research Centre Imarat Laboratory which was the nodal agency in developing the glide bomb, "India has now become self-reliant in the area of guided precision bombs."

Unlike missiles, glide bombs have no onboard motor and are therefore far cheaper to build and maintain than missiles. Glide bombs rely on small control surfaces which direct the weapon towards a target as it progressively loses altitude after being released from an aircraft. The key to a precision guided bomb is its seeker which can lock onto a target based on pre-programmed targeting data. The seeker itself can be optical, infrared or a combination of the two and telemetry for the bomb can also be provided from overhead satellites.

With a range of 100 kms, the Indian-built glide bomb can be fired on ground targets which are beyond the range of most surface-to-air missile systems in use in Pakistan and China. In other words, the pilot of the fighter dropping the bomb can drop the weapon and escape before entering the range of the radars of enemy surface-to-air missiles which can shoot it down.

No images of the DRDO-developed glide bomb have been released so far.

India Successfully Tests One Ton Glide Bomb. Why That's Important

Lions Of Punjab

Country flag
DRDO tests 1000 kg class indigenous guided glide bomb | Business Standard News

DRDO tests 1000 kg class indigenous guided glide bomb

Defence Research and Development Org (DRDO) on Friday successfully tested a 1000 kg glide bomb designed and developed by it.

The test was done in Bay of Bengal off the coast of Odisha after the bomb was dropped by an Indian Air force aircraft.

The bomb, guided by its 'on board navigation system' glided for nearly 100 km before hitting the target with great precision. The flight of the glide bomb was monitored by radars and electro-optic systems stationed at Integrated Test Range (ITR).

Multiple DRDO laboratories namely, DARE, Bangalore, ARDE, Pune and TBRL, Chandigarh, with RCI, Hyderabad as the nodal laboratory have contributed towards development of the glide bomb. The complete avionics package and navigation system has been designed and developed by RCI.

Dr. Avinash Chander, Scientific Advisor to RM, Secretary, Department of Defence R and D and DG DRDO congratulated all the team members including the Air force team who have contributed in the success.

"The nation today has capability to design, developed and launch heavy bombs for delivery up to 100 km away with high precision," said Dr. Chander.

"Country has now become self-reliant in the area of guided precision bombs," added Dr. G Satheesh Reddy, Distinguished Scientist and Director RCI.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Just the right type of bomb to blast the underground nuclear storage area in Sargodha.

Next should be 8,000 lbs bomb and a few of these at Kahuta and other nuclear centrifuges area and Pakisatn's nuclear arsenal is cooked for ever.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

India today tested a one ton indigenously-developed glide bomb which successfully hit a target 100 kms away. The precision-guided bomb, tested in the Bay of Bengal off the coast of Odisha, was dropped by an Indian Air Force aircraft.

India today tested a one ton indigenously-developed glide bomb which successfully hit a target 100 kms away.

The precision-guided bomb, tested in the Bay of Bengal off the coast of Odisha, was dropped by an Indian Air Force aircraft.

The bomb, guided by its on board navigation system, glided for nearly 100 km before hitting the target with "great precision," said the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), which constructed it.

Several radars tracked the flight of the bomb which was developed by multiple centres linked to DRDO.
RELATED
Nuclear-Capable Agni-IV Successfully Test-Fired
Avinash Chander to Continue as DRDO Chief 'On Contract' After Retirement This Month
India Successfully Test-Fires Nuclear Capable Cruise Missile Nirbhay

According to Dr G Satheesh Reddy, the Director of the DRDO's Research Centre Imarat Laboratory which was the nodal agency in developing the glide bomb, "India has now become self-reliant in the area of guided precision bombs."

Unlike missiles, glide bombs have no onboard motor and are therefore far cheaper to build and maintain than missiles. Glide bombs rely on small control surfaces which direct the weapon towards a target as it progressively loses altitude after being released from an aircraft. The key to a precision guided bomb is its seeker which can lock onto a target based on pre-programmed targeting data. The seeker itself can be optical, infrared or a combination of the two and telemetry for the bomb can also be provided from overhead satellites.

With a range of 100 kms, the Indian-built glide bomb can be fired on ground targets which are beyond the range of most surface-to-air missile systems in use in Pakistan and China. In other words, the pilot of the fighter dropping the bomb can drop the weapon and escape before entering the range of the radars of enemy surface-to-air missiles which can shoot it down.

No images of the DRDO-developed glide bomb have been released so far.
Defence News - India Successfully Tests One Ton Glide Bomb. Why That's Important
The importance is that with a range of 100 kms, the Indian-built glide bomb can be fired on ground targets which are beyond the range of most surface-to-air missile systems in use in Pakistan and China. In other words, the pilot of the fighter dropping the bomb can drop the weapon and escape before entering the range of the radars of enemy surface-to-air missiles which can shoot it down.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Re: India Successfully Tests One Ton Glide Bomb. Why That's Important

A object released at the height of 10 km with a speed of 400kmph travels roughly 5 km before hitting the target. I am still doubting the 100 km range.

karn

Country flag

A object released at the height of 10 km with a speed of 400kmph travels roughly 5 km before hitting the target. I am still doubting the 100 km range.
There is this invention that helps the glide bomb you know ....glide.. The name of said invention is... wings ...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

There is this invention that helps the glide bomb you know ....glide.. The name of said invention is... wings ...
Yup sorry, I should have mentioned the other part of query. So basically it has to travel the other 90 to 95 km with out any propulsion system of its own and only on its wings.

With the known design principles of PGM kits, I would not have any doubts if they said 50-60 km range. 100 km range is rare in PGM and that for me to believe DRDO is ahead of the curve on this aspect is difficult to digest.

Then again it is possible that there is something not mentioned in the article which answers my question.

In other words I do wish this to be another chilli grenade, so much of propaganda yet no practical usage.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Glider bombs have range from 40-150 kms. Rocket assisted glibers range is 500 kms.

So what drdo has done is great with 100 kg bomb. Now imagine 1000 kgs of CL20 explosive which is equal to 15000 kgs of RDX. 15-20 of these bomb will reduce to ruble GHQ of PA.

We can also reduce the payload and add liquid rocket engine and extend the range. 500 kg of CL20 accurately place will take out big building at mote then 200 range.

Sylex21

If anyone has any data on rough cost, I'd be very curious to see how many times cheaper this would be than a normal missile, or cruise missile. You can attach a Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) to a conventional 1000 pound bomb for about $25,000 and it has a maximum range of 28KM, so the glide bomb is much better than that. Googling the costs the only information I was able to find said a
basic Mk 83 "Dumb" bomb is ABOUT $1,700.
, assuming the glide kit is around the same price as the JDAM or a bit more, these bombs would be exceptionally economical to use.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Glider bombs have range from 40-150 kms. Rocket assisted glibers range is 500 kms.
Would it possible for you to point me to any article which suggests guide bomb with range beyond 50-60 km range without self propulsion.

I have been trying to find any news source confirming this since this news came out. Max I got is American JDAM-ER which is 80 km max range.

power_monger

Country flag
Just the right type of bomb to blast the underground nuclear storage area in Sargodha.

Next should be 8,000 lbs bomb and a few of these at Kahuta and other nuclear centrifuges area and Pakisatn's nuclear arsenal is cooked for ever.
Sir,I do not think this 1 ton bomb has bunk buster capacity yet.For those purposes,you need to have bombs which can pierce into the Cemented structures and then burst totally collapsing the bunk.But good news is DRDO is almost there wrt Bunk busters and you might hear news on that soon.

power_monger

Country flag

I am trying to Get the Seeker used for this glide bomb.From the interview given by Satish Reddy to Saurav Jha,it seems like MMW seeker was used in Light weight PGM's which is definatly 100 and 250Kg bombs.So which is the seeker used in 1 ton gliding bomb?

Saurav Jha's Blog : Seeking the future: An interview with Dr G Satheesh Reddy, Director Research Centre Imarat

SauravJha: What is the MMW seeker meant for?
Satheesh Reddy: It is meant for PGMs and for the next generation anti-radiation missile (NGARM).
SauravJha: PGMs of the kind?
Satheesh Reddy:Like the lightweight PGM under development here in RCI at the moment. This PGM has already been test-fired from an unmanned aerial vehicle and a sizeable number can also be carried by a missile like the Prithvi or by an aircraft like the Su-30 MKI. The Prithvi configuration can be used for attacking runways for example.

power_monger

Country flag

I am trying to Get the Seeker used for this glide bomb.From the interview given by Satish Reddy to Saurav Jha,it seems like MMW seeker was used in Light weight PGM's which is definatly 100 and 250Kg bombs.So which is the seeker used in 1 ton gliding bomb?

Saurav Jha's Blog : Seeking the future: An interview with Dr G Satheesh Reddy, Director Research Centre Imarat

SauravJha: What is the MMW seeker meant for?
Satheesh Reddy: It is meant for PGMs and for the next generation anti-radiation missile (NGARM).
SauravJha: PGMs of the kind?
Satheesh Reddy:Like the lightweight PGM under development here in RCI at the moment. This PGM has already been test-fired from an unmanned aerial vehicle and a sizeable number can also be carried by a missile like the Prithvi or by an aircraft like the Su-30 MKI. The Prithvi configuration can be used for attacking runways for example.

Country flag

Would it possible for you to point me to any article which suggests guide bomb with range beyond 50-60 km range without self propulsion.

I have been trying to find any news source confirming this since this news came out. Max I got is American JDAM-ER which is 80 km max range.

Rafael Unveils New Spice Rack | : Aviation International News

Here at Le Bourget, Rafael is launching the latest member of its Spice (smart, precise impact, cost-effective) family of precision-guided glide bombs, the Spice 250. The company's Spice 1000 and 2000 have now been in service for some time with several customers, and they are combat-proven. These Spice variants comprise guidance and wing kits that are applied to standard Mk 83 1,000-pound and Mk 84 2,000-pound warheads, the wings giving them a range of around 60 km for the Spice 2000 and 100 km for the Spice 2000.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Bomb glide to target (which us fixed) so the locally made gps, russian and Indian system will work. No seeker.

no smoking

Country flag

The importance is that with a range of 100 kms, the Indian-built glide bomb can be fired on ground targets which are beyond the range of most surface-to-air missile systems in use in Pakistan and China. In other words, the pilot of the fighter dropping the bomb can drop the weapon and escape before entering the range of the radars of enemy surface-to-air missiles which can shoot it down.
Ironically, even the middle air defence missile FD2000 (HQ9) which won the Turkey's case has the operation range of 200km.

pmaitra

@Bhadra ji, I invite you to celebrate this success by our beloved DRDO. This glide bomb, is more like a bird, because, it can actually glide. :D

I also invite @roma ji to celebrate this. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles