DRDO should focus on areas where it has capacity to deliver: PM

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The whole problem is : Did IA create DRDO?
IA asks Govt someting, govt asks DRDO if they can make it.
DRDO says yes.

IA twiddles thumb and DODOs eat way the money !

How is IA to be blamed in this ?

IA asks for moon and DODOs promise them Mars.... but ultimately do not give even a meteor !!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
You are talking as if DRDO has not delayed anything!!

Any proof ?

Only BM i can agree with you, other things you mentioned wont win you wars!!

yes its MOD mistake to trust DRDO!! They should ve shut DRDO down long back!!
DRDO is not the one always behind delays but bureaucracy and corruption in MOD..

How you know that ? I am sure they do and they have been doing ..

All BM, Nuclear Sub, Hand grenade, Thermal Sights, NBS suits lot more, Indian army cannot protect with imports, It have to be inside..

That is why more funds for research and development of County defense..

-------------------------------------------------------

My words might be not in best interest of many in MOD..

Do you see anything in my post what you claim i said ?

Besides, If DRDO is so evil it should not exist, i agree with you..

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Every step in defense R&D is a success in one or other form; you may fail in developing in a system but you may always develop something for the first time. The tech developed finds its way into successive projects and that's how world works............... In the beginning, DRDO never had R&D manuals to refer to and it had no option other than venturing into painful journey (decades of failure to some) for developing it, something which West had already accomplished by 1930-40. Take the case of LCA Tejas, people just just love to mud-shell DRDO using name LCA but how many actually acknowledges the fact that this very project made us worthy of being a partner in FGFA project. Could India been worthy of being a tech-sharing partner in a fifth generation project without having accomplished what she has so far thanks to LCA? Just leave it and think of MKI project, how much in it is Indian and how much has been contributed by DRDO?

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
First thought reason the headline was a total :troll:

What is the Drdo capable of?

Missile series is the only thing that Drdo has succeeded in. I guess that was a result of some good rocket scientists in India.

Everything else has been hit by delays, quality issues under performance etc.
No, it was result of "pushed against wall", " no way out " and "have to do yourself". And talking of missile, just look besides BM segment, did NAG, AKASH, TRISHUL, ASTRA managed smooth ride? Why is that everything with 'no option' clause scored success but everything which had 'option' in terms of import meet rough ride? Can it be just coincidence?

Rocket scientist or no scientist the key issue has always been (lack of) user involvement. That of course apart from asking DRDO to get Lion for peanuts. You are spending 6 billion on JV for developing FGFA but you allot mere 2 billion for developing a jet which is supposed to be equally capable at a class lower weight. Like someone said "for peanut you will always get monkey......".

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
You are talking as if DRDO has not delayed anything!!

Any proof ?

Only BM i can agree with you, other things you mentioned wont win you wars!!

yes its MOD mistake to trust DRDO!! They should ve shut DRDO down long back!!
Actually we should have shut entire section of delay makers and non performers like our political system , bureaucratic system and what not....we should have simply gone along with British rule because whether it's House of X and Y or people belonging to White Hall or BAE, all performs better than our's. Even British Armed forces are better trained than our's, so why not.....................................

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Why don't they go public & ask for money?

Projects will be delivered on time if you have shareholders to answer to.
Involving shareholder won't develop you technology which other took half a century of continuous dedication amidst all failures. LCA from HF-24 Marut represents 2 generation i don't know how this project would have been developed by 2000 if DRDO had shareholders to answer? You can beg borrow or steal but you can't cut short required time for indigenous development below minimum.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Involving shareholder won't develop you technology which other took half a century of continuous dedication amidst all failures. LCA from HF-24 Marut represents 2 generation i don't know how this project would have been developed by 2000 if DRDO had shareholders to answer? You can beg borrow or steal but you can't cut short required time for indigenous development below minimum.
It was meant to inject professionalism & accountability in this non-glorious organization.

Technological capability does not help you in commercialization either.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Take the case of LCA Tejas, people just just love to mud-shell DRDO using name LCA but how many actually acknowledges the fact that this very project made us worthy of being a partner in FGFA project. Could India been worthy of being a tech-sharing partner in a fifth generation project without having accomplished what she has so far thanks to LCA? Just leave it and think of MKI project, how much in it is Indian and how much has been contributed by DRDO?
Only thing that makes India worthy is cash injections to broke Russian MIC. The development is made in Russia as even they do not use DODO development.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
It was meant to inject professionalism & accountability in this non-glorious organization.

Thank you (as if i needed to be told)! BTW Worthy of ... stands for capability to install our own systems aboard the jet without compromising anything. Just that just that!

Rahul Singh

Country flag

And how you concluded that this organisation lacks professionalism and accountability?........................ DRDO became unprofessional and unaccountable just because it took over a decade to perfect an IRBM? But what about A-5, which it got maiden flight tested in just over 4 years from project initiation? Mind you this just one example among sea of many.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Thank you (as if i needed to be told)! BTW Worthy of ... stands for capability to install our own systems aboard the jet without compromising anything. Just that just that!

Own systems? Oh yes F404/414 are our own ! :facepalm:

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
And how you concluded that this organisation lacks professionalism and accountability?........................ DRDO became unprofessional and unaccountable just because it took over a decade to perfect an IRBM? But what about A-5, which it got maiden flight tested in just over 4 years from project initiation? Mind you this just one example among sea of many.
For starter, Go visit scientist accommodation facilities in major drdo estates, ask Saraswat what happened to its commercial arm.

Everything below bold text is called 'putting words in mouth'.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
For starter, Go visit scientist accommodation facilities in major drdo estates,
I never been to in DRDO estates but Accommodation depends on the level / Class of scientists, I know few close who work in ISRO & DRDO have 5 bed room accommodation and they have Minimum qualification as PHD in Physics & Math from Howard University..

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I never been to in DRDO estates but Accommodation depends on the level / Class of scientists, I know few close who work in ISRO & DRDO have 5 bed room accommodation and they have Minimum qualification as PHD in Physics & Math from Howard University..

No idea about ISRO.

I have been into living rooms with broken windows & disgraceful wall paints, of course those were not the quarters of highly qualified scientists. I was also able to know about few executives in drdo who enjoyed luxurious giant bunglows built during British era.

Unfortunately I am worried about the low level human talent pool which forms the bulk.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
DRDO is an Empire unto themselves with five star guest Rooms and unaudited funds. DRDO is all luxeries and no accountability.

Do not ask proof for it. I see lots of threads here criticising DODOs and the moderators have not asked for any proof.

Only I am targeted.

Last edited:

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Why do Engineering Graduates from top Indian Universities don't want to work for DRDO ?
Work Ethics and Regionalism.
I dont think those who work for DRDO (or any other Public Funded research institutions) get promotions based on their work rather than their seniority.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
No idea about ISRO.

I have been into living rooms with broken windows & disgraceful wall paints, of course those were not the quarters of highly qualified scientists. I was also able to know about few executives in drdo who enjoyed luxurious giant bunglows built during British era.

Unfortunately I am worried about the low level human talent pool which forms the bulk.
Both are more or less same..

Its same here in Army, i should not talk about Soilder`s quaters but Officer`s quaters ( LT, Capt, Maj & Lt Col ) is no better than what you described..

You have to maintain it via Gov authorities only or from your own pockets..

Fact in Gov facilities..

DRDO is an Empire unto themselves with five star guest Rooms and unaudited funds. DRDO is all luxeries and no accountability.Do not ask proof for it. I see lots of threads here criticising DODOs and the moderators have not asked for any proof.

Only I am targeted.

You miss the Logic part in your comments..

Like this one..

Rahul Singh

Country flag
For starter, Go visit scientist accommodation facilities in major drdo estates, ask Saraswat what happened to its commercial arm.

Why just talk about DRDO, do talk about others as well? Have you visited accommodations provided to IPS officers, government, bureaucrats, and railway officers? Hint, try visiting during rainy season"¦"¦.Do I need to mention that we are still by and large a Third World country, and going to stay as for quite sometime in future. But does low standard living (comparatively) makes us unprofessional? An Indian army LT. earns much less than an US Army fresh enlist and hence lives a cheaper lifestyle but does this makes him/her any less professional?

Commercial arm without liberty to choose production agency is ridiculous and last I remember, MoD rejected DRDO's demand for say in selecting production partner. Explains whole lot if not all!

Truth is bitter......

Own systems? Oh yes F404/414 are our own ! :facepalm:
Own systems? Oh yes own systems. Few for record, CSIO developed HUD, ARDE developed pilot ejection mechanism, DRDO/DRDL/BEL developed DFCC, EW suit, actuators, LRDE developed MMR X band Antenna, NAL developed carbon fiber composite skin, HAL developed Landing Gear..........There is much what goes into making a fighter jet but its all useless for someone who apparently thinks engine equals to fighter jet. :facepalm:

pmaitra

DRDO is an Empire unto themselves with five star guest Rooms and unaudited funds. DRDO is all luxeries and no accountability.

Do not ask proof for it. I see lots of threads here criticising DODOs and the moderators have not asked for any proof.

Only I am targeted.
I know many PhDs here in the US, some of them are much celebrated and have plenty of journal publications. Frankly, I have not heard of anyone living in a 5 bedroom accomodation, leave alone 5 star accomodation.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Why just talk about DRDO, do talk about others as well?
Open the damn thread.

Commercial arm without liberty to choose production agency is ridiculous and last I remember, MoD rejected DRDO's demand for say in selecting production partner. Explains whole lot if not all!
Decision to select large scale production partner is not part of DRDO's mandate. Moreover, Does it stop drdo from commercializing at all?

Truth is bitter......
Truth? Append my post which blamed non-professionalism due to drdo taking decades in perfecting IRBM

Own systems? Oh yes own systems. Few for record, CSIO developed HUD, ARDE developed pilot ejection mechanism, DRDO/DRDL/BEL developed DFCC, EW suit, actuators, LRDE developed MMR X band Antenna, NAL developed carbon fiber composite skin, HAL developed Landing Gear..........There is much what goes into making a fighter jet but its all useless for someone who apparently thinks engine equals to fighter jet. :facepalm:
You forgot nut bolts.

Acquiring the great ability to assemble different parts is not an enough excuse to hide from the fact that you don't 'own' the most important component of yet to be operational aircraft.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles