DRDO Phalcon style AWACS

ninja85

I believe that Indians have been taught right from schooldays that Indian efforts will be rubbish.
could we thank brits for developing such thing into our mind one like inferiority complex and corrupt congress for making it easy for them and also continuing,contributing and preserving such brit tradition.

Twinblade

Country flag
could we thank brits for developing such thing into our mind one like inferiority complex and corrupt congress for making it easy for them and also continuing,contributing and preserving such brit tradition.
No. You can though thank decades of poor workmanship, shoddy engineering, under performance and laughable after sales support for that.

jmj_overlord

Let it be clear that, Such things happened only because our Gov wanted it so ..

Large amount of imports with lots of kickbacks ..
so will this be the tradition carried on forever i wonder ? even iran and north korea seems to be manufacturing or atleast improvising many of the defence equipments like within a short period of time. We took 10-20 years to complete lca project. No wonder we got the world's largest importer tag......

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
As long as the leadership allow so ..

so will this be the tradition carried on forever i wonder ? even iran and north korea seems to be manufacturing or atleast improvising many of the defence equipments like within a short period of time. We took 10-20 years to complete lca project. No wonder we got the world's largest importer tag......

pkroyal

I hope you are around when this thing does fly and outdoes the phalcon.
Good smart quote
I will outlive you atleast by 05 years.
I am waiting for any contraption to fly, if it is completely indigenous.

pkroyal

some one once told me that confidence is strange thing if you dont have it, then too bad, because, you cant get it in the market. :taunt1:
I am learning about the market place from a learned person, thanks!

Confidence flows from high self esteem with a performance to match not from sheer jingoism.

Read in between the lines(with the present level of technology available )

Phantom

No. You can though thank decades of poor workmanship, shoddy engineering, under performance and laughable after sales support for that.
Let it be clear that, Such things happened only because our Gov wanted it so ..

Large amount of imports with lots of kickbacks ..
Good observations. Can we then say that it was in the interests of everyone involved that this trend was allowed to flourish and entrench itself?

The Armed Forces Chiefs and Government Babus/Netas (not blaming everyone, but those who did) for a chance to earn from kickbacks, and for the Defence PSUs as their jobs too could be like the typical laidback, no-accountability 'Sarkari naukri'.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I am learning about the market place from a learned person, thanks!

Confidence flows from high self esteem with a performance to match not from sheer jingoism.

It was Jatt who told me that. So you can understand how he would have said it in Hindi.

Yeah i am aware about the present level of technology and what they are doing about it.

pkroyal

Good observations. Can we then say that it was in the interests of everyone involved that this trend was allowed to flourish and entrench itself?

The Armed Forces Chiefs and Government Babus/Netas (not blaming everyone, but those who did) for a chance to earn from kickbacks, and for the Defence PSUs as their jobs too could be like the typical laidback, no-accountability 'Sarkari naukri'.
An ex Chief of Army Staff alleges his colleague of offering him a bribe of Rs 14 crore to clear a tranche of sub standard equipment ( Tatras) & someone expects us to believe that a cosy club of inefficient babus/ politicians/ corrupt officers/ chalta hai DRDO officials does not exist, he is living in a paradise of his own making. Open up this sector to private investors, IOF has guys like CMD Rishi for years wheeling & dealing, importing machinery from abroad for the army. For God's sake take baby steps, fail, fall, re invent do what we can, indigenise period

Phantom

An ex Chief of Army Staff alleges his colleague of offering him a bribe of Rs 14 crore to clear a tranche of sub standard equipment ( Tatras) & someone expects us to believe that a cosy club of inefficient babus/ politicians/ corrupt officers/ chalta hai DRDO officials does not exist, he is living in a paradise of his own making. Open up this sector to private investors, IOF has guys like CMD Rishi for years wheeling & dealing, importing machinery from abroad for the army. For God's sake take baby steps, fail, fall, re invent do what we can, indigenise period
Well said.
I guess anyone with a family would be tempted at some stage to earn some more on the sidelines. Those who indulge in bribes within Defence and Govt circles might convince themselves that there is no harm in such dealings as the Armed Forces ultimately get what they wanted, and hence their actions aren't unpatriotic.

I can't think of any better reasons to fathom why someone who was motivated enough to join the Armed Forces and reach it's highest echelons would ultimately commit such dastardly acts.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Sir, There are few things which are incorrect in your post ..

===============

The term Indigenous is made of two factors, Not one which you are refereeing which is same as half learned media journos ..

The Indigenous can be divided into two factors which are Made & Design, following :

1. Design in India : Design as per need in India, This can be modified by us at our own wish to any extend we want, Can apply upgrades on our own without involvement of any third party, For example any minor modification on T-90 or MIG-29 would require permission from Russian but its not same for Arjun or Tejas ..

2. Made in India : Made from Indian raw material, Which gives us freedom from imported material from outside hence no dependency ..

================

Sir, As far as i can make out from your post you are not aware of your own but may be someone else like Russia or America ..

DRDO`s Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AEWACS)
Read More at : DRDO AEW&CS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are no comparable AWACS in the globe, Under this class, This is level of technology avilable ..

================
================

I am sure you may think abt my odd support for National defense Industry, That is because ========>>

Fighting against a small depended country is one perhaps ok with imports but wont be same against a well developed nation and one with well oiled defense Industry ability to chunk out material like sausages, This is unfortunately not same for us yet..

If there is a failure within our system then its our responsibility to finding the problems and bad elements & sort it out, We cannot turn a blind eye on our own just because its an another organization or blame each-other, Such ways will only encourage and benefit our enemies,

Our Government treat us bad and even worse our scientific community, We must encourage them, Understand their problems and must not discourage them in name of free speech, They are indeed providing us with arms with third world budget and first world product and they can only provide us with solution ..

I hope you understand its not Jingoism, But pure logic ..

I will outlive you atleast by 05 years.

I am waiting for any contraption to fly, if it is completely indigenous.

================
================

This was a reply to someone else, But part of it suits in this post ..

Prvt sector is no Magic wand, R&D is not safe under them but serial production to some extend .

Should i call you Genius ..

You seem to know you Gov well, But i am afraid not your County, 3 million IA solider cannot rely on imports nor the equipment design for some other country but tailor made for ourselves, Why we need Private R&D ? Do you understand the risks involves ? have you read or research on those country which rely on Pvt corp for there arms like Amerika ? , Our Gov is not like Amerika Gov , They cannot tame there own PSU leave alone PVT corps under ..

Do give a hard thinking abt things you are talking ..

sivachandan

Israel has a world class semiconductor industry that can make the rotodome for
the AWACS. India has no indigenous electronic/semiconductor production. How
will this be possible? More claims that may not appear for years.
thats why it will cost us 25% more than phalcons.But MoD is ready to do this if we can get hold on this technology :D

ninja85

right but still corrupt congress's fault drdo,hal run by them for more than 60 years.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
right but still corrupt congress's fault drdo,hal run by them for more than 60 years.
If you have ever worked with any government agency, you will find yourself in an office stuck with lethargy, a place where officers come to work at 11:00 and leave at 14:00, a place of work where everything except work takes place.

Blaming the politicians for all the problems that plague us is useless. We need to sort out the bureaucracy first; the bureaucracy where it takes 10s of days to get a pencil sanctioned from the government budget.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Army is the largest organization in India under Gov, As far as i know its a sin even to think what you saying :D

ISRO is also same so does HAL and DRDO, I am not very well aware of OFB though but i am sure they too are same as other above ..

If you have ever worked with any government agency, you will find yourself in an office stuck with lethargy, a place where officers come to work at 11:00 and leave at 14:00, a place of work where everything except work takes place.

Blaming the politicians for all the problems that plague us is useless. We need to sort out the bureaucracy first; the bureaucracy where it takes 10s of days to get a pencil sanctioned from the government budget.

Sea Eagle

DRDO AWACS reloaded

A six aircraft fleet for the IAF is now properly underway. After formal project sanctioned a year ago,the CABS has opened a global competition to supply six aircraft that will suitably modified as part of competition to support the AWACS role- principally a 10mts Antenna Radom

The development runs parallel to in progress three aircraft DRDO AWE&C program based on ERJ 145 jet.

The DRDO hasn't specified what aircraft type it requires but said it requires vendors to designing, structurally modify, certifying and supply six aircraft platforms for AWACS role. In addition, the winning vendor will be required to design and manufacture the AWACS 10 mts antenna dome, attachment [pylon] structure and dome installation.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
re: DRDO AWACS reloaded

Indian AWACS Reloaded: Competition For 6 Aircraft Announced

A six-aircraft AWACS fleet for the Indian Air Force is now properly under way. After formal project sanction a year ago, the Centre for Airborne Systems (CABS) has opened a global competition to supply six aircraft that will be suitably modified as part of the competition, to support the AWACS role -- principally a 10-metre antenna radome.

The development runs parallel to the in-progress three aircraft DRDO AEW&C programme, based on the ERJ 145 business jet. The Indian Air Force currently operates three Il-76-based PHALCON AWACS jets from its Agra station, with talks in progress for two more identical systems. The DRDO's last tryst with a conventional AWACS system ended in tragedy when the modified HS748 Avro based test aircraft crashed in southern India in January 1999 killing eight scientists and crew on board. The accident shelved the programme indefinitely, resurfacing many years later first as the DRDO-Embraer platform, and now the new proposed AWACS.

The DRDO hasn't specified what aircraft type it requires, but said it requires vendors to designing, structurally modify, certifying and supplying six aircraft llatforms for AWACS role. In addition, the winning vendor will be required to design and manufacture the AWACS 10-metre antenna dome, attachment (pylon) structure and dome installation.

DRDO will be looking to draw interest from vendors include Boeing, Saab, Airbus, UAC (Ilyushin, Antonov, Sukhoi), Bombardier and Dassault Aviation.

Stupefying, if you ask me: three aircraft platform types for largely the same mission. Inventory and support nightmare that goes against everything the IAF has been working for in terms of type commonality.

http://www.livefistdefence.com/2014/03/indian-awacs-reloaded-competition-for-6.html?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

Last edited:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
re: DRDO AWACS reloaded

I think India already have developed the tech. to design the antennas and other systems !!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles