DRDO Multical Rifle Unveiled

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
DRDO Multical Rifle Unveiled

DRDO is set to unveil the multi-caliber individual weapon system (MCIWS) being develped by the Armaments Research and Development Establishment (ARDE), Pune, which will allow operators to alternatively fire 7.62mm, 5.56mm and 6.8 mm rounds by changing the barrel group, breech block & magazine. Provision has also been made to mount an indigenous 40 mm Under Barrel grenade Launcher (UBGL) (pictured above) capable of firing programmable air-burst rounds. CCD camera day sight and thermal imaging night sight can also be mounted on its picatinny rail system to engage targets in day & night conditions. The weapon body is machined with Aluminium alloy and a metal insert based 30 Round engineering plastic magazine and adjustable butt are also featured. Ambidextrous features for cocking, lever change and magazine change have also been incorporated.

Parts used ===== >>

=============
=============

What i can make out, The rifle butt is AR-15 influenced, P-rail provide for optics and UBGL so does laser, The reviver is like Kalantak, Its hard to comment now ..

Hope to see if this prototype displayed in Defexpo 2014 ..

------------

Credit goes to @Twinblade for photos & links ..

Last edited:

Illusive

Country flag
Wait they were to develop a bullpup design right, what happened?

Lions Of Punjab

Country flag
DRDO Multical Rifle Unveiled ..

DRDO is set to unveil the multi-caliber individual weapon system (MCIWS) being develped by the Armaments Research and Development Establishment (ARDE), Pune, which will allow operators to alternatively fire 7.62mm, 5.56mm and 6.8 mm rounds by changing the barrel group, breech block & magazine. Provision has also been made to mount an indigenous 40 mm Under Barrel grenade Launcher (UBGL) (pictured above) capable of firing programmable air-burst rounds. CCD camera day sight and thermal imaging night sight can also be mounted on its picatinny rail system to engage targets in day & night conditions. The weapon body is machined with Aluminium alloy and a metal insert based 30 Round engineering plastic magazine and adjustable butt are also featured. Ambidextrous features for cocking, lever change and magazine change have also been incorporated.

Parts used ===== >>

=============
=============

What i can make out, The rifle butt is AR-15 influenced, P-rail provide for optics and UBGL so does laser, The reviver is like Kalantak, Its hard to comment now ..

Hope to see if this prototype displayed in Defexpo 2014 ..

------------

Credit goes to @Twinblade for photos & links ..
Looks like an ARX & M4 hybrid .

Last edited by a moderator:

ghost

Fairly good job by DRDO can't say great Hope it perform exceptionally well in trials.

On looks part it looks good but i personally do not like the hand guard assembly it spoils the look of the whole rifle for me .

Blood+

Country flag
Fu@k bullpup,this one looks just killer,I just hope ARDE uses a 20'' barrel for this assault rifle,even the 18.4'' barrel of present INSAS rifle would do just fine but they shouldn't shorten the barrel farther.
By the way,what is that sight Kunal bhai??Is it imported or developed inhouse??

Last edited:

Immanuel

Country flag
Looks good indeed, if reliability is good to great, no reason to buy imports, a massive order should be placed. With Summer around the corner, extensive desert trials, followed by extensive monsoon trials in the east and marine trials and finishing off end of year with high alt and very low temp trials in the north. By early next year a massive order of over a million rifles should be on the cards.

Last edited:

The Fox

I think the similarity is not in looks but in features multi calibre ambidextrous cartridge ejection I suppose n also I hope it is modular for me it resembles TAR Trichy Assault Rifle .
Where is the arx part of it though beside hand guard it has m4 written in most part of it.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

INSAS 1B1 Improved

Trichy assault rifle

Kalantak AR
==============

I think the barrel on the MCIWS is of 1B1 only which is 18in, Also note the threaded muzzle breaker, Its same as on 1B1, Though the Gas pipe looks like from TAR & Lower receiver from Kalantank AR ..

Will know more when have Hi res picture ..

I just hope ARDE uses a 20'' barrel for this assault rifle,even the 18.4'' barrel of present INSAS rifle would do just fine but they shouldn't shorten the barrel farther.

The Fox

I think they have taken the best from both Kalantank and TAR

==============

I think the barrel on the MCIWS is of 1B1 only which is 18in, Also note the threaded muzzle breaker, Its same as on 1B1, Though the Gas pipe looks like from TAR & Lower receiver from Kalantank AR ..

Will know more when have Hi res picture ..

Twinblade

Country flag
Fu@k bullpup,this one looks just killer,I just hope ARDE uses a 20'' barrel for this assault rifle,even the 18.4'' barrel of present INSAS rifle would do just fine but they shouldn't shorten the barrel farther.
The barrel is give or take the same size as INSAS, the gun is probably a couple of inches smaller due to newer butt stock. Compare the pic with UBGL to insas with the same UBGL. As far as the sight is concerned, it has been in development for a long time for F-INSAS program. It will be coupled with an HMDS.

Last edited:

Blood+

Country flag
The barrel is give or take the same size as INSAS, the gun is probably a couple of inches smaller due to newer butt stock. Compare the pic with UBGL to insas with the same UBGL. As far as the sight is concerned, it has been in development for a long time for F-INSAS program. It will be coupled with an HMDS.

THANX man.

Blood+

Country flag
But don't you guys think that ARDE should have included the barrel,receiver and bolt assembly for firing 6.5mm Lapua or Grendel rounds instead of the Remington SPC??The Lapua/Grendel has unmatched long distance terminal performance - what say @Twinblade sir @Kunal da??
By the way,no disrespect to Kunal da and others but the barrel seems to look like somewhat shorter than INSAS 1B1,due to camera angle may be!!??

Last edited by a moderator:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Last year in cochin there was a defencee exhibition and there at a drdo stall the sketch of this weapon was sshown as the india's MCIWS.And i had written about it in some thread also.Back then i thought it was a hoax but now i am convinced that atleast the weapon had passed to the prototype stage

Global Defence

New threads

Articles