DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
I guess when a programme faces so many issues then the fault possibly cannot be with the development guys. ;)
This is an old collection of reports from 2009 to 2013. Most of the short comings listed are already sorted out.
Read about it in Tejas IV thread here in DFI.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
This is an old collection of reports from 2009 to 2013. Most of the short comings listed are already sorted out.
Read about it in Tejas IV thread here in DFI.
Sir,

Was it the same thread where you argued that Rafale is junk and Tejas is superior to it in an Indian context ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The difference between Junk and Unnecessary is huge, I think proper way of telling will create least confusions ..

About the point he is mentioning is, The report posted above is outdated and repeat of outdated material posted over thread ..

Sir,

Was it the same thread where you argued that Rafale is junk and Tejas is superior to it in an Indian context ?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
The difference between Junk and Unnecessary is huge, I think proper way of telling will create least confusions ..

About the point he is mentioning is, The report posted above is outdated and repeat of outdated material posted over thread ..
Ok thanks. :)

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

But I sure sir.. noting will be improved within two plus Years, and I think they still looking for some privates for Sub systems

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
My Pleasure, Mr Singh ..
I must appreciate you for doing great work in defending DPSU's. It certainly has turned me from a heavy cynic (of them) to a more reasonable person.

I think DFI is the only place where critics and defenders have an opportunity and chance to square off for the benefit of all.

:)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Tejas`s 80% hardware are from Pvt sector, The problem here is not the hardware but management of the program under HAL which was much disestablished during former government rule ..

In two years, I am expecting massive changes by looking at past few weeks .. ;)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I am no defender of DPSU or Pvt or another, I go with the flow of knowledge and logic :)

I must appreciate you for doing great work in defending DPSU's. It certainly has turned me from a heavy cynic (of them) to a more reasonable person.

I think DFI is the only place where critics and defenders have an opportunity and chance to square off for the benefit of all.:)

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Sir,

For the same budget is the "important part" you left out as usual, like a true AAP supporter who speaks half truths only

If you spend 20-30 billion dollar for 4.5th gen 126 rafales(when you can buy 5th gen F-35 at lesser cost) , it is definitely junk level for the money you spend. Thats why Modi govt threw the 126 MMRCA deal into waste basket and in turn negotiated a 36 fighter niche deal to address the immediate squadron shortage problem.

Haven't you read Manohar Parrikar's latest press release stating that by saving close to 60000 crores from the cancelled MMRCA deal we can easily build 10 squadrons of tejas and accelerate key programs like AMCA.

If rafale is such hot stuff the Modi govt would have spent that money on 126 MMRCA deal.

And only time will tell whether the bogus claims by MMRCA pushers like Manmohan Bahadur like,"rafale has three times the range of su-30 MKI in similar external weapons and fuel load" true or not.

Already the lies like,"the objective of this costly MMRCA deal is to get crucial TOT that will help india build AMCA and tejas mk2 better" by chair marshals like Matheswaran have been roundly belied by dassault saying no to any meaningful TOT.

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
You know what I mean sir. :)
Defending DRDO which has made MBT like Arjun and LCA like Tejas is a noble profession any day compared to defending all the tantrums thrown by Kejriwal and AAP leaders!!!!

If you want to join debate on tejas please join in at tejas IV thread here with credible link and aerodynamic theories which you think has led to problems with tejas.

I do hope you know certainly what I mean!!!

Well the russian 3 men crew armata now weighs the same 60 plus tons as 4 men crew Arjun, The reason cited by russians for that was extra armor protection and safe ammo storage!!!

Now what about those DRDO critics who have been wailing all over the net that 60 plus Arjun MBT is overweight(the reason is the same extra armor and safe ammo storage!!!)?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
But I sure sir.. noting will be improved within two plus Years, and I think they still looking for some privates for Sub systems
Read the following PIB release on IOC-2 to know what has been achieved till IOC-2
---------------------------
LCA Tejas Gets Initial Operational Clearance for Induction into IAF

IOC of LCA a Major Milestone in Self-Reliance: Antony

Flight Safety Record of Tejas is Unprecdented in Aviation History: ACM Browne

The Defence Minister Shri AK Antony today handed over the Release to Service Certificate of the country’s own Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Tejas, to the Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne, at a function in Bengaluru, marking the fruition of a long and difficult journey of three decades of efforts to make a fighter aircraft of international standards.

Described as Initial Operational Clearance-II of Tejas, the LCA is designed to ultimately replace the Mig 21 fleet of IAF. The timing of IOC- II for LCA coincides with the iconic Mig 21 FL fighter flying into IAF’s history just a week ago.

Visibly happy at today’s event, Shri Antony said, during the last three years, the capabilities of the aircraft have been improved significantly. “In recognition of the enhanced capabilities, IAF has decided to grant the aircraft a higher status, namely, the Initial Operational Clearance for induction into the Service”, he said.

Shri Antony candidly confessed that he had his share of anxieties regarding the future of LCA when he had taken over as the Defence Minister in 2006 but today we are putting behind the moments of self –doubt, frustrations and setbacks which we as a nation have gone through in the last 30 years.

“The improvements to the aircraft have enhanced the flight envelope of the aircraft and also weapon delivery capability of the aircraft. The performance at Iron Fist, Jaisalmer and the recent missile firing at Goa are examples of such improvements.

The reliability of the aircraft and serviceability has also been enhanced. The number of flights nearing 500 within this year provides an indication of this. Operating at IAF bases namely, Jamnagar, Jaisalmer, Uttarlai, Gwaliar, Goa, Leh, Pathankot demonstrate the aircraft capability to operate from Air Force bases.

There have also been occasions when the same aircraft has flown thrice on the same day, indicating the operational reliability of this home-bred fighter aircraft ”, he said.

Shri Antony said military aviation in the country has got a major boost with the approval of several new programmes. Some of these programmes include – Mk2 variants of Navy and Air Force; Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft; Unmanned Air Systems; Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft and Medium Transport Aircraft, to name a few.

Describing the attainment of Initial Operational Clearance as an important milestone in the long journey towards indigenization through self-reliance, Shri Antony said, our public and private sector must work in tandem to develop and produce world-class military systems of the highest quality.

The Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne said it is indeed a proud day for the nation and particularly for the IAF; since the grant of IOC acknowledges the capabilities of this aircraft and paves the way for the induction of LCA Mk 1 into operational service. He said the progress of such a challenging experimental project without any accident or major incident is unprecedented in the history of aviation.

On a personal note, ACM Browne said as he prepares to hang his uniform at the end of this month, he would have gone home as a disappointed person if the IOC of the LCA had not been achieved.

Today’s event was attended among others by the Scientific Advisor to RM Shri Avinash Chander, Secretary Defence Production Shri GC Pati, Chairman of HAL Shri RK Tyagi, Programme Director of ADA Shri PS Subramanyam, DG- Aero and CE CEMILAC Dr K Tamil Mani.

A Long Journey

The Country had embarked on an ambitious plan to indigenously design and develop the Light Combat aircraft (LCA) to be inducted into IAF and Indian Navy inventory. The Programme has been spearheaded by the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), Bangalore under the Department of Defence R & D, with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) as its principal partner. A large number of Laboratories of Defence Research & DevelopmentOrganisation (DRDO) and Central Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), certification agencies, Indian Air Force, academic institutions and Private/Public Sector Undertakings participated in the LCA development effort.

Indian Light Combat Aircraft, christened ‘Tejas’, is the smallest, light weight, single engine, single seat, supersonic, multirole, combat aircraft and is one of the best in its class in the world. The quadruplex digital fly-by-wire flight control system ensures acceptable handling qualities while ensuring adequate safety throughout the flight envelope. The advanced Glass cockpit open architecture system complements piloting. Four variants of Tejas aircraft (Combat variant, Trainer and Naval variants) are being developed for land and carrier borne operations.

The Initial Operational Clearance-1 (IOC-I) for ‘Tejas’ was achieved on 10 Jan 2011. In IOC-I, the Aircraft had a few limitations in terms of Combat performance, turn around time and its weaponisation which had to be refined and improved through Research & Development process. In addition to this, Wake penetration trials, all weather clearances were planned beyond IOC-1.

Since IOC-1, ‘Tejas’ has accomplished significant milestones. Till date, more than 2450 sorties have been completed to achieve the flight test goals towards IOC-2. The design issues were resolved with System Engineering approach and by periodical reviews with participation of external experts.

The salient features which have been achieved in IOC-2 include Safe flying up to High angle of Attack as mandated by the users.

This has considerably enhanced the combat performance of the aircraft. The Flight control system evaluation has also been completed.

The time for initial built-in test has been reduced considerably which enables faster turn around and enhanced operational readiness of aircraft. The Brake system has been improved significantly in terms of energy absorption capability during landing, thus ensuring prompt turn-around of the aircraft.

Significant improvement in Cockpit ergonomic and lighting system has been accomplished for improved night flying. In-flight re-light capability was demonstrated to ensure enhanced safety and reliability of the aircraft. This is a major achievement.

Avionics and Weapon system of the aircraft have been revamped for effective mission superiority. Helmet Mounted Display Sight (HMDS) has been fully integrated in Tejas and R73E missile firing has been successfully demonstrated using HMDS.

Multi Mode Weapon multirole capability of Tejas was demonstrated during its participation in Iron Fist. Air to Ground mission and Air to Air missions were demonstrated by dropping Laser Guided Bombs and R73E firing in single pass. Laser Guided Bomb firing has been achieved for IOC-2 to user’s satisfaction.

Aircraft readiness for missions in terms of its readiness and Operational Readiness Platform (ORP) and Turn Round Service (TRS) and easier maintainability has been achieved as per requirement thus enhancing operational readiness of the aircraft.

Tejas has passed all the tests for “All Weather Clearance” of the aircraft. The Aircraft has been cleared for fly without any telemetry support.

IOC-2 shall enable Air Force to carry out air superiority and offensive air support missions, forward air field operations, all weather multi role operations, Electronic counter measures and night flying operations.

LCA Tejas is capable of flying non- stop to destinations over 1700 km away (Ferry Range). It's Radius of Action is upto 500 km depending upon the nature and duration of actual combat.

LCA is powered by the F404/IN20- a well proven turbofan engine, designed and manufactured by General Electric Aircraft Engines, USA. The Engine is modular in construction, consisting of six modules, ensuring easy maintenance. The F404-GE-IN20 is a low bypass turbofan engine, with augmented thrust provided by the afterburner.
------------------------

All these achievements date after the CAG report period of 2009 to 2013.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
----------------------------------------------
The Armata is a direct product of an effort by the Russian Federation to professionalize its armed forces. This shift in doctrine developed after Russia’s wars in Chechnya revealed dramatic deficiencies in its military’s ability to fight low-intensity wars. The Russian army was pushed back by a stateless enemy, weak in numbers, weapons, and supplies. From December 1994 to August 1996, the Russian army took just over 60,000 casualties: 5,500 killed, 52,000 wounded, and 3,000 missing. Russia’s ill-trained conscript army, conventional Cold War tactics, and poor equipment produced catastrophes: in the battle of Grozny 1994, nearly 70% of the 200 Russian tanks involved were destroyed. After their poor showing, Russia has sought to revamp its armed forces with a new doctrine emphasizing professionalism and incorporating modern equipment.The design of a new tank is crucial to the efficacy of a Russian professional army, which is increasingly prioritizing the survivability of its personnel. Survivability for a professional army means assuring more trained soldiers are able to fight another day. Russia’s newest iterations of its aging tank designs, the T-90 and T-72B3, employ upgraded survivability capabilities, notably explosive reactive armor. However, at their core, they retain characteristics that make them more suitable for a conscript army and mass armored warfare. The older tanks are less suitable for a professional army, particularly in low-intensity conflicts.

Unlike the T-90 and T-72B3, the Armata’s design and capabilities mirror the threats it is intended to face. The Armata incorporates modern principles of survivability, such as being built around a fully automated turret, sealed away from the crew, which reduces the danger posed by the detonation of ammunition. Like its Western counterparts, the Armata is a high-profile tank, relying on heavy layers of composite and reactive armor. This is unlike the T-90 and T72B3, which relied on a low profile for slower hit probability. Anti-missile countermeasures, are also integral to the Armata’s design.

Western tank designs, built upon similar principles, have demonstrated significant crew survivability against insurgency tactics in low-intensity conflicts. The Israeli Merkava, the Armata’s direct inspiration, is particularly exemplary of Western tank design and has boasted exceptional performance against asymmetric threats. It features a high profile and composite armor, built from the ground up prioritizing crew survivability, much like the M1 Abrams, Leopard 2, and other modern Western designs. The Merkava also incorporates unique features into its doctrinal interpretation: a forward-located engine provides additional crew protection, and anti-missile countermeasures similar to those the Armata design features prominently. Conflict in Lebanon in 2006 would prove the value of this Western doctrine and Israel’s own design against insurgency threats. The Israeli Defense force experienced many setbacks, exemplified by the Russian military in the First Chechen War: armor was deployed conventionally and crews were primarily conscripts. However, casualties were significantly mitigated, due in large part to the Merkava’s design emphasis on crew survivability.
--------------------------------------------

http://idrw.org/russias-armata-t-14-tank-a-super-weapon/#more-63676

The above passage from the link is a slap in the face for all those dumb DRDO critics who wailed all over the net that 60 ton Arjun MBT is overweight and the insignificantly higher profile of Arjun makes it easily tracebale in battle field compared to T-90!!!

Now Armata like all western tanks is also high profile like Arjun , and homes in on extra armor and safe ammo storage contributing to 60 ton weight, !!

Not that russians lost 200 T series tanks to ill armed chechniyan fighters!!!

Can DRDO critics upholding t-90 over Arjun answer any of the above points?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,
Thats a good boy!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know what you want to achieve by mocking me ?

Okay Tejas is 1000x better than Rafale.

All Delhites who voted for AAP are idiots.

I hope that has made your day, Sir.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles