DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Is it on because everyone keeps saying how hard people work and i come along and break your belief? What if i am right?
Your inability to even understand what i said should disqualify you from entering this thread. What i said is the way the whole Tejas team is thinking, that guy in the picture does not run the program. I am only showing the mindset that allows such things to happen, that mindset will ruin the tejas.
Thanks to be clear..

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Just tell your solution and get it over with instead of beating around the bush now.
There should be scouts sent out by DRDO who choose the best and the brightest minds and then sponcer them to get into IIT or what ever Univ they like. Also spend considerable amount of that money on Tejas for human resource and not just R&D. Its people who get great ideas and not money that brings ideas.

They must also get talent from across the world with good pay so we can learn from western countries.

Tolaha

Your inability to even understand what i said should disqualify you from entering this thread. What i said is the way the whole Tejas team is thinking, that guy in the picture does not run the program. I am only showing the mindset that allows such things to happen, that mindset will ruin the tejas.
This is what you said earlier:

A man who brings a PC to the tarmac is definitely can not think creatively, that is just common sense.
Not true, money is not a problem but look at the fool takeing a PC to the tarmac.
This is cultural failure, to think stingily and not spend money is part of South Indian culture. Even when your given billion to get the job done, such cultural bias will not improve creativity, he will only use the cheap quality alternative in his thinking and will not think out of the box.

And my reply:

If they have been provided laptops, they would have obviously got it out. Its common sense. If they have not been provided with one, they cant use their personal laptops here. Your IQ should have let you conclude that its the process/budget to blame and not that particular person in the pic.
You were blaming the person while I pointed out that it was process/budget at work. But you seemed to have finally turned around to agree with my view right after questioning my ability to understand. :namaste:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
This is what you said earlier:

And my reply:

You were blaming the person while I pointed out that it was process/budget at work. But you seemed to have finally turned around to agree with my view right after questioning my ability to understand. :namaste:
The man was supposed to represent the whole Tejas team or HAL. That is why i brought in the cultural issue, either way the people working on Tejas are of low caliber.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
There should be scouts sent out by DRDO who choose the best and the brightest minds and then sponcer them to get into IIT or what ever Univ they like. Also spend considerable amount of that money on Tejas for human resource and not just R&D. Its people who get great ideas and not money that brings ideas.

They must also get talent from across the world with good pay so we can learn from western countries.
Useless suggestion. Most Indians will just accept that scholarship to study and then leave to work in other countries which pay them better and we cant pay them better unless we have a good economy and we cant have a good economy unless we stop voting to shit and so just vote it right and all problems solved.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
One cannot judge caliber of the people based on their looks. An average person from TN (irrespective of caste) looks like them anyway.
That is where you are wrong, i am from TN, i know how a person from polytechnic looks and a person doing engineering looks.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Useless suggestion. Most Indians will just accept that scholarship to study and then leave to work in other countries which pay them better and we cant pay them better unless we have a good economy and we cant have a good economy unless we stop voting to shit and so just vote it right and all problems solved.
I should have mentioned that they should get written confirmation that they will work in DRDO for a good pay.

KS

Bye bye DFI
GK,

you dont need a Anna university student to tighten nuts on the undercarriage. A polytechnic/ITI student would do fine.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
GK,

I agree with you and I think we should have PhDs in Automobile Engineering as our car drivers.

Of course, they will not be able to repair a car if it breaks down on the road, but he sure will be able to give a discourse of the reasons why it happened.

At least that way, one can get educated while he waits for the mechanic to turn up and get the car going!

Just drive along the GT road and notice how many odd looking truck drivers are under their broken down trucks and repairing it! And while you have some tea at the roadside dhaba on your next halt, you find that the same truck is whizzing past tooting his horn for no reason or rhyme, while your car is coughing away to start with the PhD as your driver!

Heard of Joe the Plumber? Dumb as a doornail, but he sure can repair your clogged WC.

What's wrong in a PC on the tarmac?

Some will find your suggestion to have a laptop instead intensely funny in these days of robotics and remote control!

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Let me tell you, according to our education system, all our engineers including me are book brains. He guys in polytechnics are all trained to use the tools. What he can do, an engineer is not trained to. Just taking once class a week on a lathe does not make a mechanical engineer proficient. The guys in polytechnics do that day in day out.

As they say horses for courses. All kinds of people are required to run an organization. Engineers, technicians, accountants, HR right down to the janitor.

It is ridiculous to look at someone's face and then say he is not fit for the job. Wonder what one has to say about APJ?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
APJ looked fabulous after Habib gave him a haircut!

A great person, not Habib, but APJ.

The best President of India as far as I am concerned!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
GK is either drunk or of his rocker. If i posted my pic with a laptop besides the tejas he'd think the entire project was in good hands. Looks have nothing to do with it. But i do agree with him regarding the culture. Being stingy and not questioning our seniors is part of our culture drilled into our heads from our school days. Quality of education also isn't upto the task and students with potential hardly ever reach there full potential. Infrastructure in schools and colleages are pitful in the science department.

The pay is also not good enough for a person and his family to live an above avg standard of living. In every other field people who's job is dependent on there brain are paid higher than those whose job is physical. A labourer puts in more hard work than an accountant on a daily basis yet the latter earns more because most people can do physical work when there is no other option but mental work requires training, knowledge and high iq. So keeping this in mind our scientists should be paid a very high salary because there are not many other people who can substitute them. 50k per month is f--king useless. It should be atleast 5 lakhs per month imo.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
I should have mentioned that they should get written confirmation that they will work in DRDO for a good pay.
:facepalm:..

Then Again. India is a democracy. What you are saying is a bonded agreement to work here. But according to govt of India's rule, you cant force them to work in the name of Bond. At most it will involve paying up the money involved in the process of scouting and training them. This is will be just paid up by the US company which is going to hire them. Now what will you do?

For instance- The Bureaucrats working in the central govt(IAS,IPS,IIS and the like) can enter the institutes like IIMs(Indian Institute of Management) under govt quota- specially reserved for them. Now the contract for studying is that, these candidates studying it will have to work for ten years or have to pay up 30lakhs when they leave. Now tell me, is 30 lakhs going to be too much for a company which is willing to pay these MBAs as much as 2-9cr per annum as salary? Of course not. This is what will happen to your idea too.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
If a person fixing Tejas is not wearing a helmet, steel cap shoes, uniform and is chewing 'Pan Parag' I wouldn't even trust him that he be able to look after my Goldfish, a 3+ gen Fighter jet is too much to ask from the same guy.

I have seen picture of Tejas with staff posing fake and plum ladies staff wearing multicoloured Punjabi suites.

The logic that looks doesn't matter but work does may be right but an organization spending millions of dollars can at least afford to look and behave as professional skilled work force. Or is too much to ask ?

If a Phd. have 'dos and don'ts' or he wants to feel good in his chamber of class systems then I am sorry to say that the organization is doomed to fail or perform poor. I agree a Phd. is paid to think but he should know how to wrench the pneumatic pumps and supervise a healthy work environment also.

There is word is Punjabi ''Muft-khor'' (free ride lovers), people do not want to run extra mile for creativity sake but wouldn't mind delivering a shoddy, incomplete, mediocre product in India. From Indian train toilets to HAL workshop, (heck a guy fixing a tall GSLV-III rocket wasn't wearing helmet and uniform) the story is same.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
DRDO requests for more funds

DRDO requests for more funds

The chief of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) complained to Defence Minister A K Antony today that the ministry had not allocated enough funds for research and development, given the number of weapon development projects on the anvil.

Speaking at a DRDO conference in New Delhi, where Antony was present, DRDO's director V K Saraswat, said, "At the recently concluded Indian Science Congress, the honourable PM had promised a substantial increase in fund allocation for science and technology. But, it is noted in the Budget proposals for 2012-13, the share of funds for DRDO remains more or less the same. DRDO has a requirement of about Rs 14,000 crore against an indicated allocation of Rs 10,640 crore."

Saraswat cited several new development projects that demanded immediate funding, specifically the short-range surface to air missile; the Arjun Mark II tank; the Tejas Mark II fighter; and the Agni-5 and Agni-6 nuclear-capable, long-range, ballistic missiles. "We request the honourable RM (raksha mantri) to consider higher allocation of funds for DRDO," said Saraswat.

Antony said the government's precarious finances made additional funding unlikely. "I know the limitations of this year's defence budget. The finance minister is very sympathetic to defence ministry; he himself was the defence minister earlier. But this year he is in a very difficult situation. Difficult is a mild word"¦ it is a very, very critical situation. Let us see if our economy revives this year; then in the second half, we will try and get more money. This year, despite the difficulties, we were able to give some more money to the Navy. Let us see if, in the second half (of the year) we are able to help the DRDO," said Antony.

Saraswat's request for more funding received support from Satpal Maharaj, chairman of the standing committee of Parliament on defence. Maharaj noted the share of R&D in the defence budget has risen from one per cent in the 1960s to six per cent today. He said the committee had recommended an R&D allocation of at least 10 per cent, given "certain countries in our neighbourhood" were spending up to 15 per cent.

The DRDO's revenue budget for this year was Rs 5,995 crore, marginally up from last year's Rs 5,386 crore. But the capital budget, which funds the development of new weapon programmes, remained stagnant: Rs 4,640 crore this year, against Rs 4,628 crore last year. If depreciation of the rupee and inflation are factored in, the capital budget was significantly reduced.

But Saraswat struck an upbeat note, playing up several landmarks that are coming up soon. The most keenly anticipated would be the first launch of the Agni-5, which can carry a nuclear warhead to a target 5,000 km away. Saraswat revealed the Agni-5 would be launched in April. Also coming up in "a few months" are the first flight of the Nirbhay long-range cruise missile; the Naval Tejas light combat aircraft; and a fully integrated airborne early warning and control system — an aircraft with a radar that can cover a large combat zone. The DRDO-developed radar system has been fitted on a Brazilian Embraer aircraft and has made its first flight in Brazil.
Broadsword: DRDO requests for more funds

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles