DRDO 155mm Artillery Program

Can DRDO design Artillery able to pass into mass production?

• Total voters

laughingbuddha

Country flag
Miltary and space requirements should now be an attractive option for metallurgical R&D especially by the private sector with active endorsement and support by GoI.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Can we get out of the habit of line by line analysis of other people's post. It is hard to figure out what is being said. There is no need for it. It s not a parliamentary debate. It is information and opinion forum. Whatever you wish to say can be concisely written, even if if it is critical of another person's opinion. Analysis of each and every statement does lead to confusion and ignoring the post.

How do others feel.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
1. Its not how you think it is, ARDE design 105/155/23/40/7.62/12.7mm of almost all kind of barrels and manufactured by OFB ..
The issue is about how good is the metallurgy used to build these barrels.
2. Kaveri successfully passed its tests in Russia, I am not sure why you mean, If its delayed, yes ..
From 3rd person's perspective Kaveri failed to integrate on Tejas.
3. T-90 barrel design by ARDE and made by OFB ..
Broadsword: T-90 tank: Technology transfer, supply of assemblies hit Russian stonewall

5. Metamorphosis is not a ULH, M777 is, Barrel life of M777 is lesser than Metamorphosis ..
Can you back up this claim.
6. There are no system call bhim in Armed forces service, Its a prototype ..
Which used G5 howitzer.
7. Provide link that say the same as you said, There is only one coating on the barrel which is chorme and that is done on Small arm and mediam calibers ..
DRDO, Army working on futuristic artillery gun - IBNLive
From next onwards Google such silly information which is known quite well around here, Return my 2 mins which took replying you this reply ( Which i am sure you cant ) ..
If you had googled all facts first then you wouldn't have been required to use 2 mins of your valuable time for replying you my post.

Glint

Country flag
In my opinion India should try some better artillery equipment (mostly import) or buy a license to produce them in India.

Many DRDO projects are already delayed and its important that they should focus on those projects first, for example:

Union Defence Minister A K Antony on Wednesday told the Rajya Sabha that six major projects, including Light Combat Aircraft 'Tejas' and a couple of missile programmes, had been delayed.

In a written reply, Antony said the LCA phase-II, which was to be ready by December 2008, is now expected to be completed by December 2015. "The major ongoing projects of DRDO are lagging behind schedule," he said.

The Naval variant of the LCA's Phase-I, which was tentatively set for completion in March 2010, would be delayed till December 2014. The 'Kaveri' aeroengine, which was originally scheduled for roll-out in December 1996, recently got an extension at an additional cost and scope.

The Airborne Early Warning and Control System, which was to be ready by October 2011, would now be ready only by December 2015.

The Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile (LR-SAM) project would now be ready only by December 2015 instead of the previously scheduled May 2011 date. Air-to-Air Missile 'Astra' too would now be completed in December 2016 instead of August 2012
I'm not saying DRDO can't produce good artillery but its most likely they would go over quantity over quality and India is lacking behind many stuff right now.

America is already building "Railgun" for there navy and it could be later produced for ground forces too probably like artillery.

Might be turned into artillery in the future.

laughingbuddha

Country flag
India is yet to catch up with advanced technology in metallurgy but we're getting there ....

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The RFI is made by Indian Army and its is been implemented by DRDO ..

If you read the specs and the article, DRDO 52cal is better than any towed arty piece in the Globe ..

In my opinion India should try some better artillery equipment (mostly import) or buy a license to produce them in India..

Glint

Country flag
The RFI is made by Indian Army and its is been implemented by DRDO ..

If you read the specs and the article, DRDO 52cal is better than any towed arty piece in the Globe ..
Again, Thanks for correcting me there :)

It was merely an opinion and as i said earlier, I don't doubt DRDO. There are just some other projects too they should focus on too.

I did some research and you're right the 155mm is really impressive and the range is better than most of the existing towed artillery.

-Caliber -- 155 mm

-Breech -- Screw type

-Recoil -- Electro-rheological/Magneto-rheological

-Elevation -- 3 to 70 degree

-Traverse --+/-25

-Rate of fire --Burst:3 rounds in 15 seconds
Intense: 15 rounds in 3 minutes
Sustained: 60 rounds in 60 minutes

-Maximum firing range -- 55 Km

-Sights -- Thermal sight. Gunners display

But the question still stands, Would they build it to last longer or just go over quantity.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
From personal experience with people i know in Arty, 105mm made by OFB is a excellent gun ..

Indian Ammunition is also gud and equally impressive to those being purchased from Israeli and better than Russian ..

I think i made my point .. :)

But the question still stands, Would they build it to last longer or just go over quantity.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
In my opinion India should try some better artillery equipment (mostly import) or buy a license to produce them in India.

Many DRDO projects are already delayed and its important that they should focus on those projects first, for example:

I'm not saying DRDO can't produce good artillery but its most likely they would go over quantity over quality and India is lacking behind many stuff right now.

America is already building "Railgun" for there navy and it could be later produced for ground forces too probably like artillery.

sir, those all u mentioned like lca, kaveri, astra etc.are 1st product of drdo in respective category, it took many years to develop dhruv but succesive version like ew suite, rudra etc were created fast enough. Also take a look at agni and navy products and even arjun mkII is taking fast shape

Last edited:

Twinblade

Country flag
It was merely an opinion and as i said earlier, I don't doubt DRDO. There are just some other projects too they should focus on too.

I did some research and you're right the 155mm is really impressive and the range is better than most of the existing towed artillery.
What's more impressive is that they are trying to achieve a range of 60 Km with a weight of just 12 tons. This is a 52 cal gun in the weight category of 39 cal FH-77 'Bofors'. Compare the weight to the Turkish Panter which weighs 18 tons and you will see how ambitious the project is. This is a gun for the future.

Indian artillery guns make a splash at DefExpo | Business Standard

Meanwhile, the Defence R&D Organisation (DRDO) is spearheading the Advanced Towed Artillery Gun (ATAG) project, to build a more powerful 155-millimetre, 52-calibre gun. This gun will range out to 60 km, with a weight of just 12 tonnes, making it ideal for the narrow, twisting roads along which it would have to be transported along Indian's Himalayan frontiers.
PS: Someone please update the wiki on ATAGS gun indicating the range to 55-60 km and adding the above link as reference.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Well, its high time that we get artillery guns in huge numbers as soon as possible..... designing a new gun does not make any sense.....

Get something new in huge numbers and put them at the border areas bordering pakistan and china.....

Last edited:

Jagdish58

Will not be surprised if Indian army comes with unique specification like Unmanned 155mm 52 calibre gun system or increasing the gun calibre to 55 or 60

and ask DRDO to rework again which will result in delay, because off late Army & Airforce have been very keen on shooting down the domestic projects

PaliwalWarrior

The problems of RailGuns are

1. Low Rate of Fire - Currently
2. High Energy Requirement
3. No EXPLOSIVE WARHEAD - plain projectile only - solely depends on Kinetic / Momentum /velocity energy

PaliwalWarrior

See that is only the virtual conceptualised presentation of future concepts
Good - Maybe in future it can be achieved

But currently

1. Low Rate of Fire - Currently
2. High Energy Requirement
3. No EXPLOSIVE WARHEAD - plain projectile only - solely depends on Kinetic / Momentum /velocity energy

These are the problems

Twinblade

Country flag
ARDE has been calling in tenders regularly for the ATAGS project. From what it appears, jingos can expect first prototype somewhere in late 2016.
Saurav Jha: Turning to tube artillery, what is the status of the Advanced Towed Array Gun System (ATAGS) programme?

Avinash Chander: ATAGS programme is going strong. We expect the barrel firing to be done by the end of this year. The programme is on schedule.

Saurav Jha: Will it be available for trials by 2017-18?

Avinash Chander: Yes the entire gun should be available for trials by 2017-18. 2017 in fact.
Saurav Jha's Blog : Interview with the Chief of DRDO, Avinash Chander -Part II

power_monger

Country flag
twinblade,
he says barrel firing by end of year,So does it mean first prototype by end of year?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles