DRDO 155mm Artillery Program

Can DRDO design Artillery able to pass into mass production?

• Total voters

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The argument you are putting is based on prototypes specs and not production model, ATAGS requirement still remains 12 tons which part of general requirement, In future their will be many more prototype before production variant, Army is willing and that is might be true but nothing official yet published on government portal, Their have been no change to specs originally made for ATAGS, This is something very common for all weapon systems ..

Their is a reason it must be a 12ton or less >

1. Trucks lose their efficiency with respect to height which comes with rarity of air, ATAGS is meant for operating at high altitude as well, Terrain is a prime factor ..

2. For air-portability it has to be lighter, Now it is not known in what configuration or numbers a C-17 or IL-76MD will carry them ..

I love ATAGS, it's a awesome gun for India. So don't badger me or delete my post.

But I love truth and facts above everything else. The 12 ton weight was what was intended before they set out to do the detailed design and realize the product. Currently it's at 16 tons - it really doesn't make any difference though. There's a big-ass truck that will tow it. But let's keep things real!!!
Yeh loh bhaiyah, ee raha sourcewa!! Hame kahe padi ki khamakha tabahi machaye !!

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2016/12/indian-artillery-gun-shines-in-trials.html

"These enhanced performance attributes have increased the weight of ATAGS to 16 tonnes, a couple of tonnes heavier than comparable towed guns. The army is willing to accept a heavier gun that delivers significantly better performance."

The dude spoke to army/DRDO folks at the trials - nothing made up!!!

Amrk

Country flag
I think people should reconcile themselves to the fact that a lot of world class def equipment would start to come from India.
Why do I say that? Think about this, we all know that Indian scientists are as good any of their peers. NASA , Intel, MS, Google and a lot of tech driven concerns are becoming more and more replete with Indian Scientists and engg. The problem was never with our scientific community but with Ind. gov. and its administrative skills, Antony years still disgust me. It is only natural that DRDO and other R&D facilities will start performing when under a competent leadership. Not only ATAGS but you can see the signs of this rapid capability rampup in the SLBM, Tejas and Kaveri, Varunashtra, Radars, HUMSA NG, USHIS, PAD, PDV and other programs.
As for ATAGS, forget about everything else, just look at the recoil system, then compare with other systems, you will realise that we have a winner at our hands even if you are an amateur defence enthusiast like me.

Scrutator

The argument you are putting is based on prototypes specs and not production model, ATAGS requirement still remains 12 tons which part of general requirement, In future their will be many more prototype before production variant, Army is willing and that is might be true but nothing official yet published on government portal, Their have been no change to specs originally made for ATAGS, This is something very common for all weapon systems ..

Their is a reason it must be a 12ton or less >

1. Trucks lose their efficiency with respect to height which comes with rarity of air, ATAGS is meant for operating at high altitude as well, Terrain is a prime factor ..

2. For air-portability it has to be lighter, Now it is not known in what configuration or numbers a C-17 or IL-76MD will carry them ..
With all due respect, what you're saying does not make much sense. Just look at the drawing of the ATAGS you've posted and look at the ATAGS that's being trialed and paraded on the Republic day - there's very little resemblance! (are you going to deny what you saw on the Republic day parade is actually ATAGS?)!! It is not hard to see where the additional weight has gone in. Initial drawings/specifications are normally very ambitious - they realize much of the 'intention' but end up making compromises in certain areas. In the ATAGS case, it appears that the features that led to additional weight is welcome by the Army.

Untitled.jpg

Do you really think ATAGS will be skinned down to make it resemble the drawing that you posted, and also reduce the weight? There are two additional wheels added to accommodate the weight distribution!! There's talk about handing it off for user trials sometime this year itself !! If they don't reduce the weight to 12 tons and don't take off the 2 additional wheels, are you going to rant on this site that ATAGS is a big failure?? I think what's been achieved is great! We shouldn't be ostrich headed and accept reliable news and information (especially when it can be easily cross verified!!!).

tejas warrior

Country flag
Regarding weight of ATAGS, Read what Ajay had reported :

These enhanced performance attributes have increased the weight of ATAGS to 16 tonnes, a couple of tonnes heavier than comparable towed guns. The army is willing to accept a heavier gun that delivers significantly better performance.

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2016/12/indian-artillery-gun-shines-in-trials.html?m=1

So, there is no question to raise on weight when Army is Happy to accept it considering better performance !!

How much Army is Happy, can be understood from fact that ATAGS prototypes marched in Republic Day Parade.

Scrutator

I think people should reconcile themselves to the fact that a lot of world class def equipment would start to come from India.
Why do I say that? Think about this, we all know that Indian scientists are as good any of their peers. NASA , Intel, MS, Google and a lot of tech driven concerns are becoming more and more replete with Indian Scientists and engg. The problem was never with our scientific community but with Ind. gov. and its administrative skills, Antony years still disgust me. It is only natural that DRDO and other R&D facilities will start performing when under a competent leadership. Not only ATAGS but you can see the signs of this rapid capability rampup in the SLBM, Tejas and Kaveri, Varunashtra, Radars, HUMSA NG, USHIS, PAD, PDV and other programs.
As for ATAGS, forget about everything else, just look at the recoil system, then compare with other systems, you will realise that we have a winner at our hands even if you are an amateur defence enthusiast like me.
(forget world for a moment) If a LOT of INDIAN defense equipment comes from India itself then that would be a BIG win in itself (billions of $$ saved). International markets will eventually develop for Indian equipment, which will be a huge bonus too!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Their are no source talks about these prototypes are final and production models, Your conclusion is fast and based on prototype specs, Their will be more on the way ..

Their is very little information on net to get on a steady conclusion, For example we don`t know which prototype Ajay Shukla was talking about nor we know about in depth information about two different prototypes except some ideas from their outer differences, Their are plenty of technologies are being tested on these prototypes and not just its firepower ..

You can come back and reply me, If you have some official conformation about which prototype got selected for mass production and why ..

========

It is expected to have a least 4 prototypes of ATAGS before the 5th one get selected for production, This information is not official though.

With all due respect, what you're saying does not make much sense. Just look at the drawing of the ATAGS you've posted and look at the ATAGS that's being trialed and paraded on the Republic day - there's very little resemblance! (are you going to deny what you saw on the Republic day parade is actually ATAGS?)!! It is not hard to see where the additional weight has gone in. Initial drawings/specifications are normally very ambitious - they realize much of the 'intention' but end up making compromises in certain areas. In the ATAGS case, it appears that the features that led to additional weight is welcome by the Army.

View attachment 13770

Do you really think ATAGS will be skinned down to make it resemble the drawing that you posted, and also reduce the weight? There are two additional wheels added to accommodate the weight distribution!! There's talk about handing it off for user trials sometime this year itself !! If they don't reduce the weight to 12 tons and don't take off the 2 additional wheels, are you going to rant on this site that ATAGS is a big failure?? I think what's been achieved is great! We shouldn't be ostrich headed and accept reliable news and information (especially when it can be easily cross verified!!!).

Scrutator

Their are no source talks about these prototypes are final and production models, Your conclusion is fast and based on prototype specs, Their will be more on the way ..

Their is very little information on net to get on a steady conclusion, For example we don`t know which prototype Ajay Shukla was talking about nor we know about in depth information about two different prototypes except some ideas from their outer differences, Their are plenty of technologies are being tested on these prototypes and not just its firepower ..

You can come back and reply me, If you have some official conformation about which prototype got selected for mass production and why ..

========

It is expected to have a least 4 prototypes of ATAGS before the 5th one get selected for production, This information is not official though.
It'll probably go through some fine tuning and minor redesign/patch-work based on the user feedback; but it is unlikely to shed 25% of the weight. While no one can estimate weight by looking at how big something is, one thing folks can be sure of is that additional wheels does mean that there's extra weight added (this is unlikely to change between prototypes)!!

At this time no one seems to be complaining - the only place the 12 tons weight is an issue seems to be in a dumb argument with wisemarko. I think ATAGS is world class even if it doesn't end up being the lightest (those attributes are good for sales sheets/pitches, that's all)!

Let's all cheer up :) Let's not mourn a success!!!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its a part of requirement by Army, Though their is a long journey and in time we will know about final outcome ..

Regarding weight and number of wheels, Its their because of larger Power unit and not with respect to weight, This power unit will be compact in size in time, Dhanush 52cal has most of the qualities of ATAGS but its not selected for various reason and prime issue was the weight ..

The future is indeed, Interesting .. !

Scrutator

Dhanush 52cal has most of the qualities of ATAGS but its not selected for various reason and prime issue was the weight ..
Thought Dhanush-52 just replaced the barrel of Dhanush-45! So Dhanush-52 is dead? That means no 52 cal gun till ATAGS is ready for production?? There was some murmur that 300 Dhanush-52 could be built (300 being the remaining part of the original intent of 414 Dhanush guns when only 114 of Dhanush-45 were ordered).

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
They did not just change the barrel but as well as other details and one was new power unit..

Army intend to have light weight 52cals to form its backbone, Until that 45cal Dhanush which is 10ton in weight will be for production ..

Thought Dhanush-52 just replaced the barrel of Dhanush-45! So Dhanush-52 is dead? That means no 52 cal gun till ATAGS is ready for production?? There was some murmur that 300 Dhanush-52 could be built (300 being the remaining part of the original intent of 414 Dhanush guns when only 114 of Dhanush-45 were ordered).

Scrutator

They did not just change the barrel but as well as other details and one was new power unit..

Army intend to have light weight 52cals to form its backbone, Until that 45cal Dhanush which is 10ton in weight will be for production ..
Hmmm...Just last month Parrikar made the announcement that 155/52 was in the 'final' stages of being ordered. What changed in the last 4 weeks?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Like i said before in many posts, Wait and see how things goes ..

I suggest wait rather make assumptions ..

Hmmm...Just last month Parrikar made the announcement that 155/52 was in the 'final' stages of being ordered. What changed in the last 4 weeks?

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag
Any news on guided rounds for above systems ?

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Prashant12

Country flag
Indigenous towed artillery now in advanced stage of trials

Nearly three decades after the controversial Howitzers, manufactured by Bofors, became the mainstay of heavy artillery for the Indian Army, two indigenously developed towed artillery are now in advanced stages of trials to replace them.

The Dhanush, developed by the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), and the towed artillery gun — Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS), which has achieved the parameters specified by the Armament Research and Development Establishment, will undergo advance trials soon.

Both are expected to meet the army’s requirement of about 1,800 towed guns by 2018-19, sources said, adding that both guns have been developed in less that six years.

“We have made 12 guns that have been used extensively, and six guns will undergo further trials at Pokhran before it’s fully ready. A few more trials have to be done to get final clearance,” S.K. Chourasia, Additional Director-General of Ordnance Factory, and a member of the OFB, told The Hindu.

Dhanush is a 155 mm/45 caibre gun, which has a range of 40 km, with higher accuracy than Bofors, he said.

Of the total 414-guns order from the army, 114 would be supplied in the first phase. “Though there is enough supply requirement for the army, the gun is an exportable product too,” Mr. Chourasia said.

The 155mm/52 calibre ATAGS, a project started by DRDO to supplement Dhanush, is expected to undergo trials in deserts and high altitude range and accuracy trials soon. ATAGS, which has a range of 46 km, was successfully integrated at Tata Power SED’s facility in Bengaluru recently, before being tested at Balasore in Odisha, said a Tata Power SED in response to an email query by The Hindu. The induction of ATAGS into the artillery regiment is expected to start in 2019-20.

Cost-effective exercise

To reduce cost of production, the Ordnance Factory Board is also looking at replacing 130 mm guns of the Russian-supplied field guns. The board plans to use the chassis of this field gun supplied in 1960s that are in good condition and fit them with new guns. “These guns have become obsolete. We intend to mount Dhanush guns on the chassis. Our estimation is that the exercise could cost us about ₹3 crore to ₹4 crore per gun, whereas it would cost us ₹15 crore to ₹20 crore if a new gun is produced,” said Ordnance Factory Board Additional Director General S.K. Chourasia.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...-advanced-stage-of-trials/article17326853.ece

Scrutator

Please @Chinmoy has been a good member of this forum, I read posts there. The only problems with your posts were that they were too personal and someone might have reported your posts, so moderators were bound to take some action. Dont take a debate to heart. Though everyone does get carried away now and then.

Anyway my last post on subject.
I am sure you have good relations with Chimoy. People are not the same all the time with all the people - a fact I am sure you would have known from your life experiences.
Anyways, My last post on this forum :)
Adios!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles