DRDO 155mm Artillery Program

Can DRDO design Artillery able to pass into mass production?

• Total voters

Scrutator

May I know the reason why my post was deleted and who deleted it.
Welcome to the club!!! There seems to be some overly sensitive vigilantes prowling the site.

Few days back, I just quoted ADA chief that Tejas Mk1 does not conform to the Whitcomb Area rule (and hence not so aerodynamic), a deficiency that they intend to fix in Mk2 version. That rubbed the wrong side of an over-sensitive fanboy (who also for some reason had extraordinary powers), and he went on to delete my post and ban me from that thread for a week!! Interestingly, another 'veteran' member of this site confirmed my statement and reposted the exact same thing (before mine was deleted); but curiously his post still remains intact on the thread!!!

Hemu Vikram Aditya

Country flag
ATAGS is light years ahead of most western designs in its category ..
That means Chinese and paki artillery(if they have one ) is not even compareable
To ATAGS
And can someone compare the best chinese Artillery (by range,etc) To ATAGS
THANKS IN ADVANCE

Scrutator

On a more serious note, a single regiment of ATAGS can fire 108 rounds in 30 seconds and have them all land on target at the exact same time. Imagine what it would be like to stand in the line of fire of an Indian Arty regiment equipped with ATAGS. One moment its all quiet and you are sitting in your trench or patrolling on foot. The next instant, the world around you explodes as 108 arty shells of 155mm land on you and your buddies within a span of 2 seconds, levelling the area and effectively suppressing your unit. 2 minutes later, the ATAGS regiment has already scooted and an Indian Infantry formation is charging your lines. Half your unit is dead or wounded, another half have been shell shocked and lost their will to fight. That leaves you alone to repel the attack. Good luck.
There is no Western towed field howitzer that can do even half of such a fire mission.

Then there is the fact that Westerners rely mostly on the M777 which loads a 155X39 mm round, thereby limiting the range of the gun.
That is indeed an awesome power/feature to have. But to just to keep things realistic, MRSI works only on very limited range - probably 15 kms, won't work for the full range of the gun (simple physics!)

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
That is indeed an awesome power/feature to have. But to just to keep things realistic, MRSI works only on very limited range - probably 15 kms, won't work for the full range of the gun (simple physics!)
We need only sit on Bhikiwind-Amritsar axis and neutralise any Porki attempt at establishing a defensive line between Lahore and International border as our infantry advances on Lahore cantt-. The distances involved are very MRSI friendly.:)

Wisemarko

Country flag
Weight, Range,Rate Of Fire & Recoil system, Chamber size ..
Chinese artillery development is way ahead of India. Look up AH-4 that compares to M-777 India is importing which comes with PGM capabilities and has more range than M-777.
SH-1 is SPH that compares to Nexter Caesar in abilities. PLZ-54 is 54 cal artillery with range over 60km with ERFB BB ammunition. All these are already in service and their future development is ongoing.

Hemu Vikram Aditya

Country flag
Chinese artillery development is way ahead of India. Look up AH-4 that compares to M-777 India is importing which comes with PGM capabilities and has more range than M-777.
SH-1 is SPH that compares to Nexter Caesar in abilities. PLZ-54 is 54 cal artillery with range over 60km with ERFB BB ammunition. All these are already in service and their future development is ongoing.
The only reason India is importing m777 is because it's light and that too not more than 300 pieces it's because they are putting it in mountain for tactical purposes

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Comparing Towed artillery with SPGs? That does nothing to show that Chinese tube arty has any advantage on India. Or are you insinuating that PLA plans to use these heavy SPGs on Himalayas? Also, PGM capability or extended range rounds are not unique to PLA. ATAGS is being tested with a 70 km range round. All I can gauge from your reply is that PLA has an updated arty. We are stuck with obsolescent guns. True. But the fact that we have in place a plan to rationalise our arty by 2027 and that tube arty technology is not like smartphone tech. (its not gaining at a very fast rate) means that PLA's current advantage is temporary.
BTW, if you have some information on PLA's towed-arty, please do share.
Thought it was only 145 pieces...
Indeed. Formalized contract is of 145 pieces but some reports said the requirement could go up to 500 pieces.

SilentKiller

Country flag
can u please clarify your claim?
AH-4 is supposed copy of M777. everything is said to be identical, even range is identical..
also if u are not aware what chinese claim is never true, if they say range is 40, consider it below that.
FYI india is getting M777A2, which can fire Excliber round till 40km range. Chinese PGM is we below standard than excaliber
all export customers are getting M777A2, even saudis got them in 2011.
BAE is moving final assembly, integration and testing to india, so u can firmly believe that number 145 will surely double.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I was not talking about M777 or AH-4, My post is related to ATAGS with respect to others in its category strictly ..

Give a read to thread and if not just the page you are replying before knee-jerking in between ..

Scrutator

FYI india is getting M777A2, which can fire Excliber round till 40km range. Chinese PGM is we below standard than excaliber.
Just a word of caution: Excalibur shell costs about 100-150 TIMES the regular shell :)
Even though it's worth every penny you spend on it!!!

SilentKiller

Country flag
Comparing Towed artillery with SPGs? That does nothing to show that Chinese tube arty has any advantage on India. Or are you insinuating that PLA plans to use these heavy SPGs on Himalayas? Also, PGM capability or extended range rounds are not unique to PLA. ATAGS is being tested with a 70 km range round. All I can gauge from your reply is that PLA has an updated arty. We are stuck with obsolescent guns. True. But the fact that we have in place a plan to rationalise our arty by 2027 and that tube arty technology is not like smartphone tech. (its not gaining at a very fast rate) means that PLA's current advantage is temporary.
BTW, if you have some information on PLA's towed-arty, please do share.

Indeed. Formalized contract is of 145 pieces but some reports said the requirement could go up to 500 pieces.
AH-4 is a Towed Artillery, its a chinese copy of M777, it has not moved to production and is only been developed as claimed by chinese.
Also its maximum range is only 25 km firing PGM (laser gudied ammunition), where as excaliber is GPS guided and has range of 40km. chinese are known to provide incorrect facts and figures.
firing a Rocket assisted round i.e. latest ERFB-BB-Rocket Assist/HE projectile, can engage targets out to 40 km but this may result in a loss of accuracy.

SilentKiller

Country flag
Just a word of caution: Excaliber shell costs about 100-150 TIMES the regular shell :)
Even though it's worth every penny you spend on it!!!
every shell costs a lot, india bought russian precision guided shells during kargil and most failed or underperformed, they too were super expensive.
Excalibur shell cost is $89,000 vs $300-400 regular or normal 155mm round. that's over 200%
chinese or russian Laser guided shells cost performed pretty badly.

News: http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/most-of-krasnopol-ammo-for-bofors-guns-turn-out-duds/17346/
India got 2000 Krasnopol shells for $80million, that $40,000 for each shell and that too having rande of only 20km, chinese G6 PGM round is claimed as 25km range, it too costs around $35000.

SilentKiller

Country flag
Indian artillery program is moving ahead now..we are in much better position than 2-3 years back.
we have ATAGS, its progress is quite good, expect it to hit production floor soon and start replacing old guns.
Dhanush production is up and running, it will replace all bofors guns in future.

Bringing private players will help in getting numbers..
ATAGS and Dhanush has no comparison (range, accuracy etc) what porkis or chinese have. Porkis tried turkish guns but they failed and they are trying chinese but they too seems to be under performing, what i am hearing is than porkis will try for South african gun systems..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Their is precision kit that DRDO is working on, Its perhaps in trails or in development as of now ..

Army does have 155mm GPS shells ..

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Chinese tend to exaggerate their weapons even if these are clones. Their A 100 is a copy of BM 30 Smerch but according to Chinese it's range is 30 km more than Smerch (90 km)

prateikf

Country flag
Welcome to the club!!! There seems to be some overly sensitive vigilantes prowling the site.

Few days back, I just quoted ADA chief that Tejas Mk1 does not conform to the Whitcomb Area rule (and hence not so aerodynamic), a deficiency that they intend to fix in Mk2 version. That rubbed the wrong side of an over-sensitive fanboy (who also for some reason had extraordinary powers), and he went on to delete my post and ban me from that thread for a week!! Interestingly, another 'veteran' member of this site confirmed my statement and reposted the exact same thing (before mine was deleted); but curiously his post still remains intact on the thread!!!
True. I was just replying to a quote from one of our esteemed members who claimed that ATAGS is light years ahead of western designs. When in reality it cannot even match the range of G-5 towed howitzer. For this my post was deleted.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles