Dramatic decline in underage marriages of girls, survey finds

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by PredictablyMalicious, Jan 21, 2016.

1. PredictablyMalicious

PredictablyMalicious Punjabi Senior Member

NEW DELHI: Signaling a strong wave of women empowerment, indicators for female health, literacy, financial means and age of marriage over the past decade show positive upswings, the findings of the fourth national family health survey (NFHS-4) 2015-16 reveal.

Findings of the survey depict a dramatic decline in underage marriages with women found to be marrying late even though the trend for men seems to be the reverse.

For instance, in Bihar, less than 40 per cent of women in the age group of 20-24 years were married before 18 years of age. This is compared to 60.3 per cent of women in the same age group marrying before 18 years according to the third round of survey conducted in 2005-06. Similarly, Haryana has witnessed a sharp improvement with less than 19 per cent of women marrying before reaching 18 years now, as compared to almost 40 per cent during the previous survey.

But results of the survey covering 13 states and two union territories show men are getting married at an early age now. In Goa, for instance, 10.6 per cent of the men in the age group of 25-29 years married before 21 years of age, an increase from 7.2 per cent 10 years ago. Similar trends were spotted in Tamil Nadu and Tripura. While in Tamil Nadu, percentage of the men marrying before the age of 21 increased to around 17 per cent during NFHS-4 from 14 per cent 10 years ago, 22 per cent of the men in Tripura married before 21 years, as against 19 per cent earlier.

[​IMG]

The latest survey shows a marked improvement in literacy rate of women. In around 11 out of 13 states, literacy rate of women have gone up over the past decade. While Goa tops the list with 89 per cent literate women in the age group of 15-49 years, Sikkim is a close competitor with 86.6 per cent. In Bihar, the female literacy rate jumped from 37 per cent in the 2005-06 survey to 49.6 per cent. Haryana and Madhya Pradesh show a significant rise from 60.4 per cent to 75.4 per cent, and 44.4 per cent to 59.4 per cent, respectively. The percentage of literate women increased in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal.

Signs of women empowerment are also evident in terms of increase in the percentage in the age group of 15-49 years having a savings account that they use themselves. Goa again took the lead with 82.8 per cent women having a bank or savings account that they personally use.

Tamil Nadu has also showcased a terrific improvement with percentage of women managing their accounts jumping from 15.9 per cent in the third round of NFHS in 2005-2006 to 77 per cent in the latest survey. Tripura, Sikkim and Goa have also registered an increase. In Bihar, though there is a significant increase from 8.2 per cent in the previous survey to 26.4 per cent in the current one, the state still lags far behind as compared to others.

The fourth round of survey also has a new indicator of women owning a house and/or land (alone or jointly with others). Bihar, otherwise at the bottom despite its improvements in other indicators, tops the list with 58.8 per cent women owning some form of property. In Tripura, 57.3 per cent women featured in the section, whereas West Bengal has least with 23.8 per cent of such women.

Results of NFHS-4 also showed more women participating in household decisions. At 95.3 per cent, Sikkim tops the indicator—in the number of married women who usually participate in household decisions. West Bengal has shown the maximum increase from 70.2 per cent in NFHS-3 to 89.8 per cent in NFHS-4.

However, there is also a drop in the number of such women in some states including Haryana and Tamil Nadu where the percentage of women participating in household decision-making falling from 83.8 per cent to 76.7 per cent and from 87.4 per cent to 84 per cent in 10 years, respectively.

The findings also showed that women were taking the lead in adopting family planning methods. For instance, women were found opting for methods like sterilisation rather than men. In the case of Haryana, the female sterilisation rate was 38.1 per cent compared to 0.6 per cent among men. In the case of Bihar, the female sterilisation rate was 20.7 per cent compared with nil for men. And the case of West Bengal, the female sterilisation rate was 29.3 per cent while for men it was 0.1 per cent.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...f-girls-survey-finds/articleshow/50662238.cms

Illusive, parijataka, Sylex21 and 2 others like this.
  3. PredictablyMalicious

Why do West Bangladeshi women marry so early despite their relatively high literacy?

@pmaitra

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    parijataka, HariPrasad-1 and maomao like this.
  4. saty

saty Tihar Jail Banned

Where are Bongs @pmaitra @Peter waste Bengal is worse than Bihar in child marriages.So called leftist intellectual state. :lol:

I've many unofficial reports on mallu&bong Hindu girls molestation/rapes/conversions etc etc.Anyway mallu&bongs deserves this.

Mad Indian, maomao and Nuvneet Kundu like this.
  5. PredictablyMalicious

West Bangladesh is known as an intellectual state because other Indians are so primitive. Just like Kashmiris are known as Nordic whites because other Indians are pitch black.

6. I_PLAY_BAD

I_PLAY_BAD Regular Member

Women getting married before 18 years of age is high in Bihar, MP and Karnataka.
    Because of Muslim population ?

parijataka and maomao like this.
  7. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

:pound: don't worry, soon they will be intellectual like your white masters with 50% divorce , 50% single moms, 1/3 of children not knowing their actual fathers, 2000% higher rape rates etc...

8. I_PLAY_BAD

Can you provide credible facts and links to prove WB is an intellectual state ?
    WB is one of the primitive and radicalized states in India.

9. Nuvneet Kundu

Nuvneet Kundu Senior Member Senior Member

Don't say like that. If some liberal sickular hears it then they will get some new ideas to demand reservations and special economic subsidy packages for muslim women from the states of Bihar, MP, Karnataka. Once again the Hindu tax payer will have to bear the brunt of subsidizing these anti-India snakes.

I_PLAY_BAD likes this.
  10. PredictablyMalicious

Yea because West Bangladesh is at the same level as the West. :yawn:

11. PredictablyMalicious

It's not my belief. Most Indians consider Bengalis very intelligent and Bengal is known for its intellectual culture. I heard Bengalis read Tagore's poems at dinner. So, indeed they are very smart.

12. Nuvneet Kundu

No we don't.

It's the Bengalis themselves who keep patting themselves on the back out of their innate sense of superiority complex based on self-professed intellectualism. It's a classic case of 'frog in the well' syndrome.

Every person I've heard singing praises of Bengali superiority has been a Bengali himself. Every non-Bengali person I've heard singing praises of Bengalis has heard it from another Bengali supremacist. It's a Ponzi scheme of supremacy. I've never met someone who has witnessed this alleged superiority first hand.

That superiority complex, coupled with the fact that Bengali's are disproportionately represented in the media/news business means that the hoax of Bengali intellectualism keeps getting propagated repeatedly and refuses to die down.

13. PredictablyMalicious

Interesting perspective. I always thought Bengali people are smarter than other Indians for some reason. Another stereotype I've heard is that Bengali women are very attractive.

14. Nuvneet Kundu

It just means that someone fooled you. Twice.

sasum, saty, sorcerer and 2 others like this.
  15. PredictablyMalicious

I was looking forward to picking up hot Bong women in Calcutta :sad:

16. Nuvneet Kundu

Let me add a disclaimer in the interest of objectivity and nuance, when I say the stereotype of Bengali superiority is incorrect, I'm by no means implying that good people are exclusively nonexistent in this community or that they are all exclusively inferior. That would again be an erroneous claim of a diametrically opposite extreme. I'm merely denying their erroneous claim that there is a statistically higher trend/pattern of higher intelligence or beauty compared to any other Indian community.

You might find intelligent Bengalis, you might find beautiful Bengalis, but claiming that it might be a function of a statistically consistent pattern of producing superior people is merely a logical fallacy of confirmation bias. People hear Bengalis enunciate their hoax repeatedly and start believing it. I'm only refuting the claim that the Bengali community produces a disproportionate percentage of intelligent and/or beautiful people in comparison to any other Indian community or even in comparison to the national average. That claim made by Bengalis in itself smacks of supremacy to the core. Quite ironical, for a community that claims to be liberal and progressive, don't you think?

My counter to the widely held Bengali belief of 'all of us are better than others' is not 'all of them are worse than others'. That would make me as stupid and classist as them. All I'm saying is that their assertion of producing a statistically larger number of intellectuals does not hold any water by any objective yardstick. It's just heresay.

@maomao you know why I tagged you brother :p

maomao likes this.
  17. PredictablyMalicious

The hot ones look like Latinas due to their Mongoloid input. Anyway I digress.

18. Nuvneet Kundu

The hot ones are a statistical anomaly which the media hand picks for you to salivate after. Just like any other form of objectification. Have you ever seen any tourism advertisement which features dirty streets? or a car advertisement with a slow moving car? no right? They want to filter out the bad parts and cherry pick the good ones for you to see. It's the same with communities. When you allow them to define themselves, they choose the best possible representative hoping that you would extrapolate your opinion from that outlier. It's just that Bengalis lack humility and are apparently more pompous than other communities are.

Yes, let's stop digressing :D

19. I_PLAY_BAD

A fool passing by a university cannot be considered an intellectual. Likewise, branding bengalis as intelligent because they read Tagore's poem even while they $hit is funny.
    WB is the most commie, pseudo-secular and filth (you know who) contaminated state in India. If we do not act now then we may see Bangladesh increasing its land area in future.

20. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

Hahhahahah Yeah I know.....However, I still maintain that there is a small breed of Bongs who are very patriotic and non-marxists / sane (however they are very few and marginalized by bengali self-proclaimed intellectuals who nothing more than sham & con artists)!!

21. Nuvneet Kundu

There's a Bong on the forum who got called out by @sasum for attributing the habit of public defecation exclusively to non-Bengalis :D