Downward Spiral in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Subcontinent & Central Asia' started by Kabuli, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Kabuli

Kabuli Regular Member

This is an extract from a "Threat Assessment Report" I did for my Political Science 222 class (Terrorism & Political Violence). It was on the "HIG" or Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin (Gulbuddin Hekmatyar). This is a relevant extract about the origins of the conflict. I guess we can start from here. Also, keep in mind if you read it that when I use phrases such as "global Jihad," I'm only trying to score points with my right-wing republican professor lol.

Link to full paper : PSC 222 Paper A

The rest of the paper other than the origins of the communist party of Afghanistan is not relevant. At least not yet.

EDIT: This is one of the criminals who fled to Pakistan in 1974 and joined the "Jihad."

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vf-xsT41C0A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vf-xsT41C0A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

3. Fighter

Fighter Regular Member

Kabuli i have question for you.

Do you see pakistan as the absolutely only reason for all the trouble afghanistan is going through.
    Or are there other factors that are equally important.
    Please explain

4. Kabuli

Kabuli Regular Member

Obviously, religious extremists existed in Afghanistan, but they had no support which is why they went to Pakistan to build a base for operations across the border. Pakistan was not the only nation the United States, China, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, many of the gulf sheikdoms and European nations also aided them. Also, the Soviet Union shares part of the blame. The reasons and persons involved are not static. Afghans share the blunt of the blame for fighting for foreigners.

5. Fighter

Fighter Regular Member

Kabuli thanks for the explanation.

What would be the optimal road map if afghanistan has to recover.

I know its a big question i hope you will try to explain.

6. Vinod2070

Vinod2070 मध्यस्थ Stars and Ambassadors

I think the Afghans have a great potential to make a progressive nation. They also have too many challenges, not the least is the meddling by other players especially one that thinks of Afghanistan as its backyard and "strategic depth".

Not easy to say which way the wind will blow. During the Taliban days we had terrorists coming over from Afghanistan and killing innocent Kashmiris. I hope we don't get back to the bad old days.