Don't exploit Ramlila tradition for money Mr Bhansali

Coalmine

Country flag
Don't exploit Ramlila tradition for money Mr Bhansali

What booted Sanjay Leela Bhansali to title his upcoming film as Ramleela? The title is provocative enough especially when read with the tagline –'Goliyon Ki Rasleela' (roulette of bullets). Both Ramleela and Rasleela enjoy religious and cultural sanctity in India. Bhansali is ill-advised in fiddling with them even through innuendos. The film is said to be based on Shakespeare's play Romeo & Juliet – a world apart from the venerable tradition of Ramlila in northern India. The title is derived from the conjunction of the name of the hero and heroine Ram (Ranveer) and Leela (Deepika). Bhansali perhaps hoped to take wind out of public outrage by citing this simple fact. But does that really allay the provocation or turn frowns into smiles? In posters, the title Ramleela is boldly scripted on equally 'bold' postures of 'Ram' and 'Leela' in amorous embrace. The viewing effect is geared to stir controversy aimed at box office profits. Bhansali, who directed classic movies like Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Devdas, Black and Guzaarish has a liking for rich, heavy and colourful sets.

Rashtrawadi Shiv Sena, headquartered in Delhi, has called for banning the film for hurting sentiments of Hindus and promoting vulgarity. It should not be dismissed as a 'Hindu Right Wing' issue. Ramlila, the 10-day traditional play based on the life of Ram is an institution by itself. Ramlila, known to have been instituted by Goswami Tulsidas in 1574, has animated the cultural life of northern India for ages. There are numerous grounds in northern India called 'Ramlila Maidan' simply because Ramlila is enacted there every year. Bhansali might not have hurt religious icons or belief, but he is guilty of misusing the brand-equity of a tradition quite deliberately.

Bhansali pioneered distorting Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay's novel Devdas, which was followed up by Vidhu Vinod Chopra in 'Parineeta'. It is ironical that our film artistes prefer to be part of such projects. Kareena Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra withdrew from Bhansali's project, reportedly for monetary reasons. It is a pity that only money and no culture drive our Bollywood brigade.
Don't exploit Ramlila tradition for money Mr Bhansali | Niti Central

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If the film is not about Ramleela, then why such a title?

I am seeing the situation where the Shive Sena will make Bansali the Ravan and toast him alive.

Same way the Muslims toasted those who made the ridiculous film on Mohammet.

I don't understand why people love raising hornets nests just for a lark and being banned with all the chaos and confusion and dividing society.

Last edited:

dhananjay1

I guess he is desperate for this movie to work, after delivering boring clunkers in the past.

parijataka

Country flag
If the film is not about Ramleela, then why such a title?

I am seeing the situation where the Shive Sena will make Bansali the Ravan and toast him alive.

Same way the Muslims toasted those who made the ridiculous film on Mohammet.

I don't understand why people love raising hornets nests just for a lark and being banned with all the chaos and confusion and dividing society.
Publicity is good sir - good or bad does not matter !

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles