Does Taiwan need nuclear weapons?

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Does Taiwan need nuclear weapons?

Tuesday, Sep 14, 2010, Page 8

The recent publication of a memoir by former US negotiator Jeremy Stone re-ignited a controversy last week over alleged plans under former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) to launch a nuclear weapons program.

Stone's allegations, which ostensibly were sourced from and corroborated post facto by former National Security Council secretary-general Su Chi (蘇起) — who at the time the controversy emerged was a Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislator — are hard to substantiate. That the Chen administration, for all its faults, would have engaged in nuclear adventurism stretches credulity. Though it has the technical know-how to do so (and inside sources say a turnaround could take as little as one year), Taiwan could hardly have launched a nuclear weapons program without the US, let alone China, becoming aware of it.

One does not have to read Stone's book too closely to realize that the views of the former president of the Federation of American Scientists-turned-cross-strait-troubleshooter are wildly skewed in Beijing's favor. Nothing makes this more evident than the many variations he uses to portray the Chen administration as a "troublemaker," which may account for Stone's credulity on the alleged nuclear program.

Unbeknownst to Stone, this very bias against Taipei — not his alone, but that of the international community — lies at the very heart of Taiwan's defense malaise. In fact, the inherent imbalance was the main reason behind this newspaper's decision, in August 2004, to publish an editorial that put the nuclear option on the table (despite what Su and Stone may believe, however, the Taipei Times did not and does not have a direct line to the Presidential Office or Democratic Progressive Party headquarters).

More than six years have elapsed and the balance of power in the Taiwan Strait has only continued to shift in Beijing's favor. Furthermore, nuclear-armed China continues to threaten Taiwan, the would-be "troublemaker" who at no point under Chen adopted anything that could have been interpreted as a belligerent posture.

Given that this situation appears to be a comfortable "status quo" for the likes of Stone, is it not conceivable that Taiwanese would ponder various means to oppose China militarily and present it with a credible deterrent? In and of themselves, peace and democracy will be of little help against an opponent who plays by different rules, as highlighted by Beijing's refusal to renounce the use of force against Taiwan amid supposedly warming ties. While nuclear weapons may be an extreme recourse — and an unadvisable one at that — Taiwan cannot afford the gullibility that has marked the course adopted by President Ma Ying-jeou's (馬英九) administration in cross-strait rapprochement.

While his Cabinet has rightly stuck to less problematic, though by no means inconsequential, matters like economics in its dialogue with Beijing, there is no doubt that in the months ahead — especially as we get closer to Chinese President Hu Jintao's (胡錦濤) stepping down as head of state — talks will touch on more controversial issues such as identity and sovereignty. Once those topics are tackled, friction is bound to emerge, which could quickly escalate and spin out of control. Any outcome to the 2012 presidential poll in Taiwan that isn't to China's taste could also serve as a catalyst for a military option.

In such a situation, Beijing, seeing a weakened opponent, could calculate that it can get away with the use of force at little cost, making military action more likely.

That is why, even amid untested signs of rapprochement, Taiwan must continue to acquire and develop not only the means to protect itself, but solid deterrent capabilities so that any military adventurism on Beijing's part to fulfill its irredentist dreams would come at great cost. A strong Taiwan means less risk of war, not the other way around.

Does Taiwan need nuclear weapons for this? Probably not, but it certainly needs more than naivety and Ma sloganeering, and more than the dishonest diplomacy exercised by the likes of Stone.

pmaitra

China is a threat to:
  • USA
  • India
  • Russian Federation
  • Japan

The aforementioned countries must get into a Nuclear Warhead Sharing Agreement (like in Europe) by which Japan, Taiwan and Vietnam will have some warheads deployed there (although they might not have the knowhow to make them).

Whether Taiwan needs nukes or not, India definitely needs Taiwan to have nukes.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
China is a threat to:
  • USA
  • India
  • Russian Federation
  • Japan

The aforementioned countries must get into a Nuclear Warhead Sharing Agreement (like in Europe) by which Japan, Taiwan and Vietnam will have some warheads deployed there (although they might not have the knowhow to make them).

Whether Taiwan needs nukes or not, India definitely needs Taiwan to have nukes.
Sigh!
The fact that Pakistan is pointing nukes at India while Taiwan can't do the same to us must be killing you. You seem so upset and desperate!

One of the few pleasures of haunting a Indian defence forum is you can always witness some crazy Indians dsplay their little twisted minds in public. They are totally consumed by the hatred agaisnt China, as a result some of them resort to the hilarious ideas such as proliferating nukes to Chinese opponents or simply waging a nuclear war with China. It is like a contest of distorted minds.

Man, you really need to see a doctor.

To BadGuy, see what you have done, you really should not have irritated him in the first place.

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

Sigh!
The fact that Pakistan is pointing nukes at India while Taiwan can't do the same to us must be killing you. You seem so upset and desperate!

One of the few pleasures of haunting a Indian defence forum is you can always witness some crazy Indians dsplay their little twisted minds in public. They are totally consumed by the hatred agaisnt China, as a result some of them resort to the hilarious ideas such proliferating nukes to Chinese opponents or simply waging a nuclear war with China. It is like a contest of distorted minds.

Man, you really need to see a doctor.

To BG, you really should not irritate him in the first place.
when you guys proliferated nukes to Pakistan and North Kora it was all wise decision and chinese were all in perfect mental health. when others are doing this he is insane and needs a doctor. Infact china donot need a doctor they need someone who can kick thier ass like a *** and then only you idiots will realize the pain others are going through due to selfish attitude of you Chinese.

neo29

Taiwan surely requires nukes coz it aint a threat to anybody in the world but China only. That too if China attacks Taiwan.

But China has time and again declared openly that it will attack and invade Taiwan if at all Taiwan declares independence or possesses nuclear weapons. So if at all Taiwan wants nukes it should develop one quietly and just test it using computer simulations just like Israel possess but denies.

nimo_cn

Country flag
when you guys proliferated nukes to Pakistan and North Kora it was all wise decision and chinese were all in perfect mental health. when others are doing this he is insane and needs a doctor. Infact china donot need a doctor they need someone who can kick thier ass like a *** and then only you idiots will realize the pain others are going through due to selfish attitude of you Chinese.
LOL, another people who is suffering from mental disorder just jumped out. Like i said, this is a contest of distorted minds.

You must agree with me that nuclear proliferation is wrong, right? Then why encourage it? The only explanation i can think of is that you are insane.

As for the baseless accusation of China's nuclear proliferation to Pakistan and NK, we have gone through this enough times in this forum. The conclusion is you have no hard evidence to prove China has done that.

Well, whether China has done that or not seems irrelevant, because Indian people have already made their mind that China is responsible for all the misfortune they have gone through. I am not surprised by that, you are good at blaming others.

So i am curious how is India gonna to proliferate nuke to Taiwan while your boss(US) has better nuclear technology and maintains a closer a relation with taiwan but hesitates to arm Taiwan with nukes?

neo29

So i am curious how is India gonna to proliferate nuke to Taiwan while your boss(US) has better nuclear technology and maintains a closer a relation with taiwan but hesitates to arm Taiwan with nukes?
Just like China gave North Korea nuke technology, without the US noticing though they were watching them closely all the time.

This is a forum and things dont need to be proven. But when the whole world knows and accepts a point, irrespective of whether it is proven or not, thats more than enough. Irrelevant though coz you will be denying it all the time.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Taiwan surely requires nukes coz it aint a threat to anybody in the world but China only. That too if China attacks Taiwan.
That makes perfect sense when it comes to Paksitan.
Pakistan's nukes are aimed at nobody but India, so it is not a threat to anyone in the world but India only. That too if India attacks Pakistan, which India has doen for several times.
Hence Paksitan really needs some nukes, and it is so good that Pakistan already has nukes.

But China has time and again declared openly that it will attack and invade Taiwan if at all Taiwan declares independence or possesses nuclear weapons. So if at all Taiwan wants nukes it should develop one quietly and just test it using computer simulations just like Israel possess but denies.
Just for your reference, Taiwan had tried to develop nukes secretly. Ironically, it is stopped by US, not by China.

It makes me so sad even americans have better functioned minds than you do.

Rahul92

LOL, another people who is suffering from mental disorder just jumped out. Like i said, this is a contest of distorted minds.

You must agree with me that nuclear proliferation is wrong, right? Then why encourage it? The only explanation i can think of is that you are insane.

As for the baseless accusation of China's nuclear proliferation to Pakistan and NK, we have gone through this enough times in this forum. The conclusion is you have no hard evidence to prove China has done that.

Well, whether China has done that or not seems irrelevant, because Indian people have already made their mind that China is responsible for all the misfortune they have gone through. I am not surprised by that, you are good at blaming others.

So sad to ur IQ, INDIA never had or will have boss. U have supplied NK & Pakistan secretly BUT we will do it in front of whole world like a MAN

nimo_cn

Country flag
Just like China gave North Korea nuke technology, without the US noticing though they were watching them closely all the time.

This is a forum and things dont need to be proven. But when the whole world knows and accepts a point, irrespective of whether it is proven or not, thats more than enough. Irrelevant though coz you will be denying it all the time.
US has always been knowing NK is developing nukes. In today's world, it is almost impossible to hide the process of developing a nuclear bomb.

Taiwan does not possess nukes because it is not allowed to ,not because it is not able to develop a nuclear bomb. Nuclear technology is available nowadays.

Do you really believe India has the power to grant Taiwan and Vietnam the privilege of possessing a nuclear bomb when US refuses to do that? Think it through.

Rahul92

Pakistan's nukes are aimed at nobody but India, so it is not a threat to anyone in the world but India only. That too if India attacks Pakistan, which India has doen for several times.
Hence Paksitan really needs some nukes, and it is so good that Pakistan already has nukes.
Nimo i think its high time to check ur IQ INDIA never attacked Pakistan until & unless it is forced .so u think Pakistan can outrun India not even in their dreams:emot15::emot15::emot15::emot15::emot15:

Rahul92

It makes me so sad even americans have better functioned minds than you do.
This time i accept with you man that's why they prefer India not u r china

nimo_cn

Country flag
So sad to ur IQ, INDIA never had or will have boss.
Of course you will deny the fact the India is serving US, but that is the truth, how could you deny the truth?

U have supplied NK & Pakistan secretly BUT we will do it in front of whole world like a MAN
Perfect, i can't wait to see that.

All Indians are entitled to vote, aren't you?
Why not vote in a PM who has the ball to do what you have suggested?
Your current PM certainly falis to that, were you implying he is not acting like a man?

nimo_cn

Country flag
This time i accept with you man that's why they prefer India not u r china
Yeah, i totally agree with you on this one, India is adored by US. Well, not just US, the whole western community.

Man always loves his mistress who defers to him unconditionally!

Rahul92

Of course you will deny the fact the India is serving US, but that is the truth, how could you deny the truth?

Perfect, i can't wait to see that.

All Indians are entitled to vote, aren't you?
Why not vote in a PM who has the ball to do what you have suggested?
Your current PM certainly falis to that, were you implying he is not acting like a man?
Its a high time to visit a doctor looks like that u hardly have any IQ. I think u hardly know about our pm he is the best statesman in the world & the world's most respected pm ..=i+..=i+_=..i2-=_=..i2-=_=..i2-=

Manmohan Singh to get World Statesman award -  National News – News – MSN India

nimo_cn

Country flag
Nimo i think its high time to check ur IQ INDIA never attacked Pakistan until & unless it is forced .so u think Pakistan can outrun India not even in their dreams:emot15::emot15::emot15::emot15::emot15:
No, you msinterpreted my post. I wasn't saying Pakistan would outrun India.
I was saying neo29 made a good point on why Pakistan needs a nuclear bomb.

Don't you think neo29's theory applys perfectly to Pakistan?

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
No, you misinterpreted my post. I wasn't saying Pakistan would outrun India.
I was saying neo29 made a good point why Pakistan needs a nuclear bomb.

Don't you think neo29's theory applys perfectly to Pakistan?

Rahul92

Yeah, i totally agree with you on this one, India is adored by US. Well, not just US, the whole western community.

Man always loves his mistress who defers to him unconditionally!
You are right only for the first line . on to second line if they love for being us as mistress then u automatically become a she-male who cant produce or reproduce for the world & not accepted any where in the world

Last edited:

neo29

@nimo_cn

As i said there is nothing to prove that China gave nukes to Pak or NK. But everyone knows it and politically it is true as Pakistan is your leverage against India and North Korea against Japan,SK and US.

Yes the establishment will never supply Taiwan nukes as India is against the spread of Nuclear weapons and wont even give them secretly like China did. But yes India will more that happy to see Taiwan having Nuclear weapons.

We Indians are entitled to vote who ever we want coz we are a Democracy. I dont think you have ever heard or understood the word Democracy in that communist regime of yours. China is a Single Party State so it gives no room to democratic forces. Even in India there are communist parties who are given fair chance to stand for elections unlike your system where the democracy is made mockery of. So dont teach or discuss voting rights with us

Global Defence

Articles