Does India want a bigger population than China?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
May be you should try to get a job in French speaking African countries. They provide excellent and unpoluted fresh air, friendly people and very good food. I worked in Congo Kinshasha, Togo etc. I am loving it.
They don't pay anything that is competitive to Metro France which is the only overseas jobs I consider. I was stationed in a couple African countries before but didn't like it. I am looking at positions on Pacific islands next.

cir

Indians are born optimists, Chinese are born pessimists.

That's the difference. That is why India and China are in totally different leagues today.

My wish: Indians keep their optimism while Chinese stay pessimists.

kickok1975

That's the difference. That is why India and China are in totally different leagues today.

Agree. Indian people tend to be happier than us due to their natural spirit of optimism. That's a good thing as we see much less conflicts on Indian street compare to China, even though Indian streets are more crowded.
However, India could also learn a little from Chinese's "pessimism". As an old Chinese saying: "If you don't have long term concern, you have to endure present misfortune."

Last edited:

cw2005

They don't pay anything that is competitive to Metro France which is the only overseas jobs I consider. I was stationed in a couple African countries before but didn't like it. I am looking at positions on Pacific islands next.
Of course "They don't pay competitive", but if you work for multinational company, you would get higher than your pay at home plus tax free and all other benefits. May be you could also go back to your country and make contribution to save it from possible downgrade rating as threaten by one of the rating organisation.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I would have to pay French social taxes wherever I go, income tax is subject to wherever you work so it don't matter. There are 50-100 people applying for whatever job I would take in Metro France so me taking one is only taking jobs away from others. Me taking another job out-of-country helps the economy more as they get a job and i still contribute through tax and remittance. I am looking at New Caledonia, Saipan, Tahiti, and Australia.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador

you seem to be chinese, right? lets see who stands where, shall we?!

china started the economic liberalization in 1979
india started the economic liberalization in 1991

differentiating factor 12 years, which means practically if not more, china should be at least 12years ahead of india, right? let us see where the things really stand at.

china's nominal gdp is at 6t usd
india's nominal gdp is at 1.729t usd

differentiating factor - 3.5times is the chinese gdp to india's.

china's ppp gdp is at 10t usd
india's ppp gpd is at 4.450t isd

differentiating factor - 2.27times id the chinese gdp to india's

important factors to consider:

• india does not calculate the whole economy but it is assumed india just calculates a 50% of the actual and another 50% goes unaccounted. which means another 1.729t usd each year doesnt get calculated purely because the government doesnt want to bring that into the tax net. let us say this is an exaggerated claim, the most pessimist estimate is 66% of the total gets calculated, which means if not more a near 800b usd each year gets produced and just by correcting the accounting methods this will be absorbed in the system. this is expected to happen soon, so dont be surprised if tomorrow india's nominal/ppp gdp all of sudden increases by at least a 50%.

• in india large sums end as a part of parallel economy. the active parallel economy in india is at least at 50% (the minimum possible take) of the present economy, where you are talking about a near 900-1,000b usd in parallel economy of what is also termed as black economy. the good thing about is the multiplier effect keeps happening on this, so if one day they bring it in this would become a part of the indian economy.

• there are huge sums of money stacked in the swiss banks by india all made through illegal means, an amount which is quite literally sustaining those swiss banks, some estimates put the figure in trillions of dollars, i wont put a figure because i am not sure about it.

• indians have a charm for gold, a near 800-900b usd has been invested in gold jewellery, and this part of the money never comes out, but stays in the closet, that said, just by investing in gold people are getting rich because the prices are rising or one could also say the money is getting cheep.

• recently there was this temple where gold worth 22(+)b usd was found and it is believed there are many such treasures in india, i wont put a figure because i would be as clueless as any.

there are two factors that i can certainly account for

the accounting miscalculation and the parallel economy, which together account for a bare minimum of another 1.729t usd, if not more, which if added puts the present indian economy at 3.45t usd, which means even today practically china's nominal gdp is just 70% more than india's and ppp gdp, which is what really matters is merely 13% more than india's. get the figures?

let us say we dont do that, this decade indian economy is supposed to multiply by 4times, which means by year 2020:

india's nominal gdp would be more or less where chain's nominal gdp is today in 2010, and the real thing that matters, the ppp gdp, india would have surpassed china by quite a margin to where china is today.

figure it out, if you can. is india even 12years behind china? or is it lot-lot less, in fact a couple of years.

now you get why indians can be optimist ................ the day india gets all that unaccounted money in the system, india would be at a point of nearly surpassing china's gdp, some food for thought. you live in an illusion buitl around you, if you believe china is leagues ahead than india in gdp terms, and we did all this without being the factory of the world which is where the US hugely supported china, and india is slowly inching towards that as well ......

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
china's nominal gdp is just 70% more than india's and ppp gdp, which is what really matters is merely 13% more than india
See? That is the source of Indian optimism.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
See? That is the source of Indian optimism.
lol so you think comparing with china gives us a sense of optimism, ill tell you what, quite a few of those optimists would care least about china, in fact the only time china gets talked about in indian media is when border dispute erupts, and rarely ever for its economy so, comparison happened because that person up there said

he was in his message making a comparison with a tone of sarcasm and he needed to be given a somewhat clearer picture, which i have still not completely presented, but then will leave it for if that person has to say something about all those figures.

what makes indians so optimist, i am not sure, and i said it would be better if someone actually does a research on why.

you bet china figures no where there.

KS

Bye bye DFI
The real question is not whether we want a population greater than China's but whether we could really sustain a population greater than China's ?

huaxia rox

what actually surprises me is a lot of indian members here tend to think they dont want more population than china and they should educate their people to have little size families.

i actually read some articles before......some indians and westerners saying they believe 1 of the obvious edges india has over china is that india will 1 day have more population than us.

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
no doubt we sense your fear ! :rofl:

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
The right question is--does India even have the option of having keeping its population below China??

I think otherwise.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
The right question is--does India even have the option of having keeping its population below China??
I think otherwise.
MMS singh gave us the answer a few years ago when going ahead with the US-India nuke accord

he said " the govt follows where the people have led " - referring to the fact that better relations with the usa was already a reality via people to people relationships

so especially in the area of population - the goi will have to follow the lead of the people !!! :laugh: :namaste: :thumb:

t_co

A demographic boom is no use if all those young people aren't educated and gainfully employed. See what such a boom did to Latin America from 1970 to 200 (especially Argentina, Brazil, and Mexico) and Sub-Saharan Africa from 1980 to 2010, and you can see it's not the blessing many Indian economists claim it to be...

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
The real question is not whether we want a population greater than China's but whether we could really sustain a population greater than China's ?
The reason India's population has historically always been high is because India has more arable land than any country in the world except the United States. Despite being three times the geographical area of India, China actually has less arable land.

So yes, India can certainly support a large population and if the government is successful in growing the manufacturing sector then that large population will be gainfully utilized as well.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
The reason India's population has historically always been high is because India has more arable land than any country in the world except the United States. Despite being three times the geographical area of India, China actually has less arable land.

So yes, India can certainly support a large population and if the government is successful in growing the manufacturing sector then that large population will be gainfully utilized as well.
Population density, available potable water per capita & food production per capita are the best indicators of just how much saturation with respect to population has been reached, and how much increase can be made.

We might have a population nearly equal to China, but the available land per person is less than 1/3rd of theirs. In the same way, we have nearly 6 times less density than the East Asian developed countries, which have peaked long ago and now maintain more or less the same population. They give an idea as to what is the saturation level that can be sustained.

huaxia rox

you seem to be chinese, right? lets see who stands where, shall we?!

china started the economic liberalization in 1979
india started the economic liberalization in 1991
so???? the us opened up their economy in probably the 19th century in say 1879???.....going to complain about that????seeing that as an excuse???

differentiating factor 12 years, which means practically if not more, china should be at least 12years ahead of india, right? let us see where the things really stand at.
why 12 years???if you want to do the comparsion math you have to make sure the GDP of prc in 1979=the GDP of india in 1991......is that the case???

china's nominal gdp is at 6t usd
india's nominal gdp is at 1.729t usd

differentiating factor - 3.5times is the chinese gdp to india's.

china's ppp gdp is at 10t usd
india's ppp gpd is at 4.450t isd

differentiating factor - 2.27times id the chinese gdp to india's
PPP is not god....when you go overseas can you exchange your rupee using PPP method???how much the value rupee has how much US bucks you get......very nominal way of doing math...........

important factors to consider:

• india does not calculate the whole economy but it is assumed india just calculates a 50% of the actual and another 50% goes unaccounted. which means another 1.729t usd each year doesnt get calculated purely because the government doesnt want to bring that into the tax net. let us say this is an exaggerated claim, the most pessimist estimate is 66% of the total gets calculated, which means if not more a near 800b usd each year gets produced and just by correcting the accounting methods this will be absorbed in the system. this is expected to happen soon, so dont be surprised if tomorrow india's nominal/ppp gdp all of sudden increases by at least a 50%.
every developing nation losing the taxes......in prc many companies and factories trying all the illegally means to make profits look less so the final tax largely relying on which the gov caculate the whole GDP is much lower than it is......so the real GDP should be much bigger.....further considering the gov it self got a lot of xiaojinku which cant be caculated when spending........so real GDP of prc may be much higher than the current figure.............

• in india large sums end as a part of parallel economy. the active parallel economy in india is at least at 50% (the minimum possible take) of the present economy, where you are talking about a near 900-1,000b usd in parallel economy of what is also termed as black economy. the good thing about is the multiplier effect keeps happening on this, so if one day they bring it in this would become a part of the indian economy.
you just have a look on how much low level officers can go to macao to spend on gambling table with a few unluckily get caught you will know the large scale of black money prc has.......every developing nation has this problem and my wild guess is prc is the most affected......

• there are huge sums of money stacked in the swiss banks by india all made through illegal means, an amount which is quite literally sustaining those swiss banks, some estimates put the figure in trillions of dollars, i wont put a figure because i am not sure about it.
how much??what concrete evidence??any from non BJP people???nominal GDP of prc in 2012 according to CIA world facebook is above 8 trillion USD.....thats the output of prc in 1 year......has your so called swiss bank money supassed the figure??? if hasnt then whats your point??? we can easily make that amount of money in 1 year.......nothing special.....

• indians have a charm for gold, a near 800-900b usd has been invested in gold jewellery, and this part of the money never comes out, but stays in the closet, that said, just by investing in gold people are getting rich because the prices are rising or one could also say the money is getting cheep.
1 a lot of your gold consumed by individuals not your country....

2 prc also has huge amount of US bonds....EU bonds....japnese bonds......then what??? if no one uses the money poor people are still poor.......how ever.....can the money be easily used????in a real world senario.......

• recently there was this temple where gold worth 22(+)b usd was found and it is believed there are many such treasures in india, i wont put a figure because i would be as clueless as any.
every year prc also digs out a lot of items called treasures...........in measumes they also got heaps......but unless you want to sell those things......no money at all but cost to spend to dig them out.......

there are two factors that i can certainly account for

the accounting miscalculation and the parallel economy, which together account for a bare minimum of another 1.729t usd, if not more, which if added puts the present indian economy at 3.45t usd, which means even today practically china's nominal gdp is just 70% more than india's and ppp gdp, which is what really matters is merely 13% more than india's. get the figures?

let us say we dont do that, this decade indian economy is supposed to multiply by 4times, which means by year 2020:

india's nominal gdp would be more or less where chain's nominal gdp is today in 2010, and the real thing that matters, the ppp gdp, india would have surpassed china by quite a margin to where china is today.

figure it out, if you can. is india even 12years behind china? or is it lot-lot less, in fact a couple of years.

now you get why indians can be optimist ................ the day india gets all that unaccounted money in the system, india would be at a point of nearly surpassing china's gdp, some food for thought. you live in an illusion buitl around you, if you believe china is leagues ahead than india in gdp terms, and we did all this without being the factory of the world which is where the US hugely supported china, and india is slowly inching towards that as well ......
ppp doesnt mean anything apart from allowing govs of poor countries to calm the people down...........prc was recognized as the 2nd biggest economy in the world only after nominal GDP can beat japnese.......not ppp.........besides economy of hong kong and macao hasnt been counted yet.......not a small amount to say the least.........

Last edited:

huaxia rox

1 how a nation can survive relys much more on the wealth it has and the people there have.......japan has litttle arable land (and not too few people considering the size of terrority) but no one dies young or hungrey....why?? they have the money.....to make arguclture more advanced and effeective........and to buy foods other than what they can grow.......

2 while in the case of india.....yes the country has a big territory but your people are still very poor (prc got the similar problem so 1 child policy as a tempory measure was introduce when situation was thought to be unsolvable)......people need to work so they get the money and buy what they need........if this process is interfered by huge amount of population then better find the way to solve it.........either make more job oppotunities or try not popping out too many people.........or maybe you can try doing both......but my point is no matter what you want to do.....only the result is important....what you can think of in your mind is somehow irrelavant.....

3 the major difference merely in terms of population growth between prc and india is: prc is getting stable and in theory will be decreasing after some years......while indian population is still increasing very fast..........really your call to decide if its a good phenomenon......

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles