Does India want a bigger population than China?

kickok1975

Honestly thinking, the biggest threat to India's future is not potential conflict with Pakistan, but the unstoppable fast population growth

And fact is: Poor and uneducated family tends to have much more children which further strain the resources of society.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Well, good. But where are the jobs, don't tell me the world will move all of their manufacturing to India, it's a fantasy. How do you feed so many people when world's population is more than 7 billion by then and everyone is competing for limited resources? Not to mention can India's territory afford that many people (pretty big but very over-crowded compare to population)
The consumption pattern of India suggests that we consume a lot and will have enough demand for goods which can be manufactured in India itself. With increased living standards over the years there will also be increased consumption and increased demand of goods and therefore requirement for increased manufacture. So, Industrialization is imminent if the policies by GoI are right and they will equip the young demography with proper set of skills for doing low-end, mid-level and high-end goods manufacturing.

India still has enough space to accommodate the increasing population. With proper infrastructure and facilities, there are many towns that will be able to pick up the slack of urbanization in future.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
When i think of the population i get depressed! The same people who threw Anna Hazarea in jail and gave us the jokepal bill are the ones who are telling us the massive population is ok and it is a demographic dividend!!!!

Check out your demographic dividend! Look how dumb this guy is!!

Last edited by a moderator:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Well, good. But where are the jobs, don't tell me the world will move all of their manufacturing to India, it's a fantasy.
We never knew about today's vast employment opportunities back in dark days of late '80s. And nobody needs all manufacturing facilities of world. A steady jump over current foreign investments will help along with domestic development.

How do you feed so many people when world's population is more than 7 billion by then and everyone is competing for limited resources?
By providing employment / self-employment opportunities & offering salary hikes which are even today one of the highest in the world (13-14%). And don't forget we are yet to completely open this economy.

Not to mention can India's territory afford that many people (pretty big but very over-crowded compare to population)
Urban areas are very crowded. You are right on that. But India resides in villages/towns. There is vast potential yet to be exploited. And we kept motto 'Move towards villages'. Less has happened on that front. But time will make planners take the obvious steps.

Last edited:

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
"1,800 million, that is not a burden but a 1,800 million opportunities" With all respect, I don't think so. India's best policy is to have some sort of birth control for all her citizens. Otherwise India's future could be cursed.
India's best policy is to educate people and let them know the use of having smaller families than get into forceful birth control.

It is about creating opportunities for all these people at some level. 1.8billion people is not only an opportunity but a massive one, do you realize for how long can the growth be sustained based on these people if they keep having rising incomes and the middle class base keeps increasing at a steady pace, which means they will have that much more money to spend and the real wealth creation will happen in india, and there could come a time, lets say in another 100-150years (may be much less) when the world's first trillionaire was to be an indian or a business man who has a big presence in india and not only the indian economy, we will keep sustaining the world economy for a long-long time to come because of this huge population.

Our real concerns wont be all those people but our main concerns are our policy makers, and natural resources.

The natural resources are limited, but on the natural resources front I am sure science will come up with solutions where we might not be as dependent on them and very small quantity of raw material would produce a large amount of finished products, and products unseen and unheard of today.

I was checking this interview and this person had to say that science in times to come would give us benefits at least 10times more than it has given us, (sorry cant recall the name/video/time line now and he talked in detail about it)so I have a very strong belief that in just another 100years technologies would be spectacularly advanced and different. Let us say even if they do twice as much, they would be leagues ahead. Fact is there must be so much in air/soil/sea that is yet to be discovered and put to use that we for now dont even know of, may be there comes a time when planet earth's requirements start to get catered by other planets and the speeds of travel be such that the travel time would be many-many times more than today.

Our policy makers lack the political will to take important policy decisions on the economic front, mind you not the talent is in question here or their caliber to deliver, where I believe we have some fine people but the will. If we can have policy makers who can take tough decisions then we will have no stopping for a long time to some and I dare say we will dwarf china economical by quite a margin by when we will start to slow down, but yes if the policy makers don't do that, then I agree these people are not what they can be.

Guess what kickok, you can bet your last bit of currency that china will eventually stop the forceful one child policy and they will allow 2 child policy and there could also come a time when your government will say, have more children and we will pay for it.

guoyinag

India's best policy is to educate people and let them know the use of having smaller families than get into forceful birth control.

It is about creating opportunities for all these people at some level. 1.8billion people is not only an opportunity but a massive one, do you realize for how long can the growth be sustained based on these people if they keep having rising incomes and the middle class base keeps increasing at a steady pace, which means they will have that much more money to spend and the real wealth creation will happen in india, and there could come a time, lets say in another 100-150years (may be much less) when the world's first trillionaire was to be an indian or a business man who has a big presence in india and not only the indian economy, we will keep sustaining the world economy for a long-long time to come because of this huge population.

Our real concerns wont be all those people but our main concerns are our policy makers, and natural resources.

The natural resources are limited, but on the natural resources front I am sure science will come up with solutions where we might not be as dependent on them and very small quantity of raw material would produce a large amount of finished products, and products unseen and unheard of today.

I was checking this interview and this person had to say that science in times to come would give us benefits at least 10times more than it has given us, (sorry cant recall the name/video/time line now and he talked in detail about it)so I have a very strong belief that in just another 100years technologies would be spectacularly advanced and different. Let us say even if they do twice as much, they would be leagues ahead. Fact is there must be so much in air/soil/sea that is yet to be discovered and put to use that we for now dont even know of, may be there comes a time when planet earth's requirements start to get catered by other planets and the speeds of travel be such that the travel time would be many-many times more than today.

Our policy makers lack the political will to take important policy decisions on the economic front, mind you not the talent is in question here or their caliber to deliver, where I believe we have some fine people but the will. If we can have policy makers who can take tough decisions then we will have no stopping for a long time to some and I dare say we will dwarf china economical by quite a margin by when we will start to slow down, but yes if the policy makers don't do that, then I agree these people are not what they can be.

Guess what kickok, you can bet your last bit of currency that china will eventually stop the forceful one child policy and they will allow 2 child policy and there could also come a time when your government will say, have more children and we will pay for it.
To tell you the truth, education method is also taken by Chinese government especially in cities.

Some people living in cities do not want to feed two or more children. Take Shanghai as an example, lots of people there are not willing to give birth and the real population growth rate is negative now. Now about one third to a quarter of teenagers can get into university and college, they will receive better education in China, and will not birth some many children. I and most of my classmate think that one or at most two children are reasonable.

The challenge for one child policy lies in country area, where people think the more children they have the more rich they will.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
The challenge for one child policy lies in country area, where people think the more children they have the more rich they will.
That is exactly the same mindset of people in Rural and Semi-Urban India, and people below poverty line in general.

P

pi314159

Looking into uncertain future, we Chinese seems pessimistic and always worries if our resource can support ever growing population. Meanwhile Indian seems optimistic: more people means more opportunities, potential resource shortage will be solved by future science, more arable land than China, and so on. Being populous, Chinese tends to see its negative impact, Indian tends to take its bright side. So that is pessimism vs optimism.

Reactions: nrj

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Looking into uncertain future, we Chinese seems pessimistic and always worries if our resource can support ever growing population. Meanwhile Indian seems optimistic: more people means more opportunities, potential resource shortage will be solved by future science, more arable land than China, and so on. Being populous, Chinese tends to see its negative impact, Indian tends to take its bright side. So that is pessimism vs optimism.
i dont know, but i think we do get it from our entrepreneurial nature (reason why you see indians do good in the business world worldwide and not just india or with their corporate careers), and so not just this debate, but in a large number of polls conducted, indians come across as pretty assured about their future. infact if you even pick up 2009 polls most indians seemed optimistic about their future and if i am not mistaken one of the polls showed as the most optimistic or the second most optimistic country back then, and take this poll (http://defenceforumindia.com/economic-development/24238-global-financial-crisis-2011-a.html) on the forum, 3 out of 4 say they are sure india in the end stands to gain from the current uncertainty that the global economy faces, its just a small guide.

mind you indian mind remains optimistic even with a lot of corruption, slow decision taking process, and many such things, so there certainly has to be something that we see even after being surrounded with all the problems that others dont ............ if someone was to do a research, will find the answers.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
You guys aren't pessimist, they are depressed. All hope for better, it just doesn't happen. This air makes me wheeze so I have to get out as soon as my contract is over. Breathing thick smog everyday takes its toll.

cw2005

You guys aren't pessimist, they are depressed. All hope for better, it just doesn't happen. This air makes me wheeze so I have to get out as soon as my contract is over. Breathing thick smog everyday takes its toll.
May be you should try to get a job in French speaking African countries. They provide excellent and unpoluted fresh air, friendly people and very good food. I worked in Congo Kinshasha, Togo etc. I am loving it.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
India would have had the a larger population then China today if the map was not redrawn by the British.
is it also possible that india might have disappeared if not for the british ? ( i really dont know - so im asking )

devgupt

Country flag
I dont think overpopulation is good.Environment will go down the drain with an ever increasing population.But while we can't force people to have less children, we should give incentive to people below poverty line to have not more than 2 children.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Well, good. But where are the jobs, don't tell me the world will move all of their manufacturing to India, it's a fantasy. How do you feed so many people when world's population is more than 7 billion by then and everyone is competing for limited resources? Not to mention can India's territory afford that many people (pretty big but very over-crowded compare to population)
kickok - dont worry yourself about indians getting jobs - the excess indian manpower will be deployed to the military and used to give prc-china a great time on your borders and return teh complements you have been doing to india all these years ><<<<< !

aimarraul

India might start wars for food when its population reach 2 billion,we better prepar for that........

nimo_cn

Country flag
India might start wars for food when its population reach 2 billion,we better prepar for that........
That is what concerns me for a long time when I learned the possible population explosion of India.

Though India has more fertile land than China, it still can't sustain the fast growing population of India, especially if we take the low food productivity of India into consideration. It is very likely that India won't be able to feed its own population.

Apart from food, there are many other needs may not be able to be met when the population excesses the sustainability of India, such as water, air, space, oil, etc.

All of these, if not taken under control, shall lead to a war, and the war will be imposed upon countries which neighbors India.

We have already heard Indians shouting war slogans to China over our own water. This may not be coincidence if we take a look at the full picture.

You are right, we should prepare for that.

nimo_cn

Country flag
She'll have largest young population in world by then. She will also have more than 25% workforce of the entire world. In the meanwhile, China & Europe will be suffering problems of aged populations. Blunders of harsh birth control will haunt for longer time.
Only if you want that "25% workforce of the entire world" to work in sweatshops. I thought Indians resent sweatshops. Well, maybe you are not, you just resent sweatshops inside China, you can tolerate them as long as they are in India.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles