Does India lack a reliable missile delivery system, as compared with those of our foes?

ARUN R

India needs to to increase its defence spending if we are to quickly improve our nuclear delivery capabilities in near future. Pakistan is not the only adversary we need to consider China also. It will take time but I think the R&D work in delivery system is going well.

I don't think just defense spending is enough to counter china. It requires more than defense preparedness, it requires alliances. Chinese alliance with pakistan is been a headache for us. The same strategy would be better ( A one with Tokyo ,Seoul,etc)

Country flag
I don't think just defense spending is enough to counter china. It requires more than defense preparedness, it requires alliances. Chinese alliance with pakistan is been a headache for us. The same strategy would be better ( A one with Tokyo ,Seoul,etc)

There is a 10 year defense pact signed with USA .

pmaitra

What is a missile delivery system? A missile is a delivery system for warheads. A delivery system for the missile, to my mind, is a TEL (Transporter-Erector-Launcher). We do lag in that department compared to PRC, if not Pakistan.

ARUN R

What is the difference between first strike capability and second strike capability?
Second strike is the ability to survive a first strike(a pre-emptive strike) and launch a counter strike

Country flag
I don't think you understand the meaning of the word 'demonstrate'.
Define it

ICBM capability demonstrated in our space program moon and mars rockets

Mirv capability demonstrated by launching ten satellites at the same time

Miniturization demonstrated by building nuclear capable cruise missiles Brahmos nirbhay and pokran all warheads under 30 kilotons.(5 tested)

If these are not good examples of demonstration. Then I don't know the definition.

Country flag
A first strike capability is one that can sufficiently reduce enemy's ability to retaliate.
I think Chinese have this in the size of weapons (megatons) and their numbers of IRBM's .

India does not have either. But it does have second strike capability.

ARUN R

Define it

ICBM capability demonstrated in our space program moon and mars rockets

Miniturization demonstrated by building nuclear capable cruise missiles Brahmos nirbhay and pokran all warheads under 30 kilotons.(5 tested)

If these are not good examples of demonstration. Then I don't know the definition.
We need to infuse three different technologies ,that it what matters while considering MIRVs

Country flag
Second strike is the ability to survive a first strike(a pre-emptive strike) and launch a counter strike
The most reliable second strike capability will be our nuclear subs
(Arihant and akula)

Agni I will not say is perfect yet to me It still lacks range and mega tonnage needed for a civilization ending retaliation. It will do damage but not total annihilation . And it needs to be mass produced.

The enlightened

Then you don't know the simple meaning of the word MIRV - Multiple Independently Targetable Re-Entry Vehicle.
I think Chinese have this in the size of weapons (megatons) and their numbers of IRBM's .

India does not have either. But it does have second strike capability.
Size? No. You need numbers. Big numbers...............ala USA and USSR

ARUN R

The most reliable second strike capability will be our nuclear subs
(Arihant and akula)

Agni I will not say is perfect yet to me It still lacks range and mega tonnage needed for a civilization ending retaliation. It will do damage but not total annihilation . And it needs to be mass produced.
While issuing a second strike , we must make sure that there ain't a third strike.

Country flag
What is a missile delivery system? A missile is a delivery system for warheads. A delivery system for the missile, to my mind, is a TEL (Transporter-Erector-Launcher). We do lag in that department compared to PRC, if not Pakistan.
I am hoping the nuclear submarine programs fill the gaps in this deficiency.

pmaitra

Then you don't know the simple meaning of the word MIRV - Multiple Independently Targetable Re-Entry Vehicle.

I am pretty sure he knows what an MIRV is.

The thing is, we have demonstrated re-entry. We have also demonstrated multiple-satellite launch technology. So, it is reasonable to say that India can launch MIRV.

Country flag

I don't want to beat a dead horse but I will agree we do not have an operational mirv.

Both would be good . Mega tonnage for land based missiles and numbers for SLBM's and cruise missiles.

pmaitra

I am hoping the nuclear submarine programs fill the gaps in this deficiency.
LF, I was thinking in the lines of having a TEL that is not an articulated trailer system, but a single piece truck.

A trailer based TEL

A truck that can serve as a TEL and is not articulated

We need to build trucks that can be used as TEL, without requiring a trailer hauled by a truck/tractor.

ARUN R

LF, I was thinking in the lines of having a TEL that is not an articulated trailer system, but a single piece truck.

A trailer based TEL

A truck that can serve as a TEL and is not articulated

We need to build trucks that can be used as TEL, without requiring a trailer hauled by a truck/tractor.
TATRA trucks are enough,right? We have the license to build these. Agni 5 had a canister launch test

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles