Does India lack a reliable missile delivery system, as compared with those of our foes?

ARUN R

I'm new to this forum, I've been reading a lot of defense stuff quite lately. I found an article by Stephen P. Cohen and Sunil Dasgupta stating that we do lack a reliable delivery framework as our weapon delivery completely lies on prithvi 1,2 (SRBMs) ,Agni 2 (MRBMs) unreliable Jaguar , Sukhoi and other fixed wing aircraft. Is it true that our neighbors F-16, Shaheen,hatf, nasr, ghauri , raad,etc. is better than ours?

aliyah

I'm new to this forum, I've been reading a lot of defense stuff quite lately. I found an article by Stephen P. Cohen and Sunil Dasgupta stating that we do lack a reliable delivery framework as our weapon delivery completely lies on prithvi 1,2 (SRBMs) ,Agni 2 (MRBMs) unreliable Jaguar , Sukhoi and other fixed wing aircraft. Is it true that our neighbors F-16, Shaheen,hatf, nasr, ghauri , raad,etc. is better than ours?
hahahahhahahahhaahaha..........hatf,ghauri,f-16 better then us hahahahahahahahahah

ARUN R

@aliyah ;I guess these are scud derivatives!!, I was terrified reading the article.

warrior monk

No we have excellent delivery systems the context in which Stephen P. Cohen and Sunil Dasgupta have said so is to look at a more holistic view of our military defense preparedness and present a more aggressive military and playing a more dominant role as a military power.
Obviously we are behind with our nuclear and conventional modernization compared to our geographical , strategic and economic needs.
Our military budget is small ( 40 billion $) and our strategic weapons development is moving at a slow pace and we do not have an aggressive posture which sometimes obfuscates Bakistan. As far as delivery system is concerned we are much ahead of Bakistan but we are behind PRC .
India only has 1 SSBN and 1 leased SSN and our Agni 5 has only 8000 km of range with a reduced throw weight which is embarrassing.

ARUN R

No we have excellent delivery systems the context in which Stephen P. Cohen and Sunil Dasgupta have said so is to look at a more holistic view of our military defense preparedness and present a more aggressive military and playing a more dominant role as a military power.
Obviously we are behind with our nuclear and conventional modernization compared to our geographical , strategic and economic needs.
Our military budget is small ( 40 billion $) and our strategic weapons development is moving at a slow pace and we do not have an aggressive posture which sometimes obfuscates Bakistan. As far as delivery system is concerned we are much ahead of Bakistan but we are behind PRC .
India only has 1 SSBN and 1 leased SSN and our Agni 5 has only 8000 km of range with a reduced throw weight which is embarrassing.
but we have to consider most of these weapon systems are still under testing. They'll take a long time to be operational.

blueblood

While I am familiar with Stephen P Cohen, I have no clue about Mr. Dasgupta. Cohen is a rare breed i.e. a critic of Indian military who actually knows his stuff but sadly this time he is not up to date.

So no, Indian delivery systems as of today are certainly much ahead of Pakistan while not that far behind from China. Pakistan has some edge in LACM and ALCM but that will be very short lived as in less than 5 years. Indian missile program is very ambitious and is doing great in terms of refining older systems and creating brand new ones.

One more thing, welcome aboard and kindly visit the introduction thread.

ARUN R

While I am familiar with Stephen P Cohen, I have no clue about Mr. Dasgupta. Cohen is a rare breed i.e. a critic of Indian military who actually knows his stuff but sadly this time he is not up to date.

So no, Indian delivery systems as of today are certainly much ahead of Pakistan while not that far behind from China. Pakistan has some edge in LACM and ALCM but that will be very short lived as in less than 5 years. Indian missile program is very ambitious and is doing great in terms of refining older systems and creating brand new ones.

One more thing, welcome aboard and kindly visit the introduction thread.
Does our Brahmos (ALCM and LACM), Nirbhay count. Sorry for the trouble since this thing has pretty messed up my mind.

blueblood

Does our Brahmos (ALCM and LACM), Nirbhay count. Sorry for the trouble since this thing has pretty messed up my mind.
I think I forgot to type long range LACM. Right now, neither Brahmos (ALCM) nor Nirbhay(LACM) count. Both are non-operational. I will not be able to explain Indian delivery systems in one or two posts so for that you have to do your own research.

So while Pak is working on legacy systems, India is working on next gen tech in parallel to the development of contemporary systems.

So along with Brahmos (ALCM) there is also Brahmos-M, Bramos-II, Long range supersonic ALCM(also LACM) and Nirbhay (ALCM&LACM).

warrior monk

but we have to consider most of these weapon systems are still under testing. They'll take a long time to be operational.
Agni 5 will be tested one more time and then if successful will be inducted by early next year.
Other Agni missiles have already been inducted .
INS Arihant our SSBN is in advanced stage of sea trials and later we are going to test B05 or K-15 sagarika from our SSBN. We have plans to build 3 more Arihant class SSBNs
Our SSN INS chakra has already joined our navy and we are going to lease another SSN from Russia .So we are making progress.
We are much ahead of Pakistan as far as delivery systems are concerned but what we have is not enough seeing PRC's development.

ARUN R

After reaching the moon and mars there should be no doubts.
Is this enough? We had our re-entry capability in 2007(SRE ) and the multiple independent targeting capability in 2009(PSLV-C9 placing 10 sats), still we lack a MIRV.

Country flag
Is this enough? We had our re-entry capability in 2007(SRE ) and the multiple independent targeting capability in 2009(PSLV-C9 placing 10 sats), still we lack a MIRV.
You are contradicting yourself.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
India needs to to increase its defence spending if we are to quickly improve our nuclear delivery capabilities in near future. Pakistan is not the only adversary we need to consider China also. It will take time but I think the R&D work in delivery system is going well.

The enlightened

as our weapon delivery completely lies on prithvi 1,2 (SRBMs) ,Agni 2 (MRBMs) unreliable Jaguar
Agni-3 should be operational by now in numbers. Agni-4 is new and hence can be discounted. BrahMos can carry a 300 kilo warhead. That should be enough for a nuclear payload.
China and India both lack first strike capability and moreover nobody among them is stupid enough to start a war over a bunch of rocks, much less fire nukes for them. So does Pakistan, but they have an deeply embedded fear of India gobbling them up and in general they are stupid. So we have to have a second strike capability for them. I say we do.

Country flag
The fact I'm trying to convey is we don't have a Missile with MIRV capability, even if Agni 6 is planned to be a MIRVed one.(Just being planned)
The capability has been demonstrated. It is now must a matter of political will .

Global Defence

New threads

Articles