Does India Have the Strongest Navy in Asia (excluding Russia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvpatel007

I saw this on another forum a few days ago and thought I would pose the question here. In your honest and unbiased opinion, does India have the "strongest navy" in Asia (excluding Russia, whom I believe would have if included them).
I personally believe India does, and slightly, ever so slightly, bests Japan. If you throw in what the near future holds (3-5 years), I believe there's no doubt. We have stealth frigates, amazing Delhi-Class destroyers (with Kolkata Class coming next year!), a nuclear sub on the horizon, and correct me if I am wrong, the only navy in Asia with an aircraft carrier.

I know this question is posed on an Indian-centric forum, but be honest and try not to be biased (I confess, I was, my bad!). And forgive me if this has been posted before, I went back a few threads and didn't see it.

KP

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
It's a difficult question to assess.

I would say that the only serious competition to the Indian Navy in Asia comes from the PLAN, but even compared to them we are better in certain areas, especially in carrier operations. However, the PLAN has a decisive edge in submarine operations.

The IN and PLAN have very different doctrines, so they are difficult to compare.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Strongest navy in Asia is the USN!!!

sandeepdg

^^ Yeah, the strongest navy in Asia is the US Navy. Then comes the PLN and then India.

kvpatel007

Perhaps I should have been more thorough! Excluding "Russia" AND the United States, which country has the strongest navy in Asia?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
China, Japan, India I think. The Chinese win it because of the quantity subs they have.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
It's a difficult question to assess.

I would say that the only serious competition to the Indian Navy in Asia comes from the PLAN, but even compared to them we are better in certain areas, especially in carrier operations. However, the PLAN has a decisive edge in submarine operations.

The IN and PLAN have very different doctrines, so they are difficult to compare.
can u tell what are the doctrines of IN and PLAN and why does indian doesn`t have a good submarine fleet while PLAN does have when we (as well IN) know that submarines are the best

bhramos

Country flag
can u tell what are the doctrines of IN and PLAN and why does indian doesn`t have a good submarine fleet while PLAN does have when we (as well IN) know that submarines are the best
India uses Sea dominance or projection of force Aircraft Carrier like US, but PLAN uses sea determination by using the lot of submarines like USSR, but still thinks Plan is best in Asia........

debasree

Country flag
the japs have the best they are smaller but their all vessals are technolodgically far more superior than pln or in.they are the only navy which operate eigis capable vessels in asia

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
why are nobody accepting their's as best???
do they dont have trust on theirs???
LOL..........
1) they think they are truly bad
2) they underestimate it
3) keep the enemy guessing.

nimo_cn

Country flag
why are nobody accepting their's as best???
do they dont have trust on theirs???
LOL..........
I wasn't being modest when I said that, I was just saying what I thought to be true.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Strongest Navy would encompass whether it is capable of contesting the Threat Perceptions or projecting its national will.

The Indian Navy is fairly capable of addressing the Treat Perceptions.

Once it has the aircraft carriers, it will be a very potent force and will to a some extent project its national will.

China still does not possess a Blue Water Navy and currently does not have the capability to enforces entry into the Indian Ocean, where her sealinks are most vulnerable. It is incapable of projecting her national will.

The US Navy is omnipresent.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
the japs have the best they are smaller but their all vessals are technolodgically far more superior than pln or in.they are the only navy which operate eigis capable vessels in asia
Koreans have Aegis ships now as well. When Dehli class DDG came out, it was argurably the 2nd best destroyer fielded by an asian navy (if we leave out the Russian and US navy) after the japanese Kongo class. But time has moved on, now it is doubtful if it is even among the top 10. The top 3, however, are quite clear. They are all Aegis-based:
1. Japanese Atago
2. Korean (ROK) KDX III
3. Japanse Kongo

I rank Atago ahead of KDX III because I trust the japanese quality little bit more, and I think they got their hands on the SM-3 whereas the koreans have only SM-2. These 3 ships are clearly top of the pack. For the 4th best, on paper I have to say are the PLAN 052C ships.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
The strongest navy in Asia is clearly the US navy. They control all the sea routes and all key entry points, thus when talking above the US navy we have to consider the entire might of the US naval arsenal, not just the ships normally stationed at bases in Asia.

A favourite discussion on this forum and elsewhere is often about a hypothetical standoff between the PLAN and the IN in the indian ocean or in the south china sea. The truth is that such discussion is simply stupid. The only way for this kind scenario to happen is if the US navy deliberately permits it to happen. Thus, as long as the US maintains a huge presence in the indian ocean , in other words as long as they have a base in Diego Garcia and controls the Singapore strait, the PLAN would be foolish to become too active in the indian ocean unless of course somehow China and US become allies (don't see it happen anytime soon). On the other hand, the only way for indian navy to engage the PLAN in the south china sea, is if US explicitly asks the Indian navy to join a US-led anti-china coalition.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Koreans have Aegis ships now as well. When Dehli class DDG came out, it was argurably the 2nd best destroyer fielded by an asian navy (if we leave out the Russian and US navy) after the japanese Kongo class. But time has moved on, now it is doubtful if it is even among the top 10. The top 3, however, are quite clear. They are all Aegis-based:
1. Japanese Atago
2. Korean (ROK) KDX III
3. Japanse Kongo

I rank Atago ahead of KDX III because I trust the japanese quality little bit more, and I think they got their hands on the SM-3 whereas the koreans have only SM-2. These 3 ships are clearly top of the pack. For the 4th best, on paper I have to say are the PLAN 052C ships.
What about INS Kolkata class Destroyers?

Immanuel

Country flag
I think Indian Navy is the second strongest Navy in Asia, the fact is Brahmos has changed the game and has given us a great advantage, we can pretty much take down all the ships in PLAN or USN with Brahmos launches, even Supercarriers aren't safe. With range of 300km, every IN ship armed with Brahmos has a 600km diameter of lethal offensive protection. Coming to subs, we do have good anti sub abilities and with P-8I coming that ability will be enhanced. We should also inducted air launched brahmos on the T-142ME naval aircraft as well as the IL-38. The only reason why PLAN is stonger is the nuke capable subs.

I think we should quickly order 30 ATVs, smallest nuke subs in the world, k-15 missile is ideal for land attacks on over the horizon radars to take out the ability of chinese to use their new ASBM. ATV is ideal, we should have around 30 ATV by 2030.

Parthy

Air Warrior
IMO, IN is the best as it has the capability to make a naval blockade and protect the nation's strategic interest... But in recent days it is not in best of possession to hold the best, mainly due to the wide attrition on the Submarine fleet..

Inclusion of INS vikramaditya by 2012, akula II entering by Dec 2011, Arihant by end of 2012 and IAC I on schedule to enter sea trails by 2013 makes IN a formidable NAVY OF ASIA....

But being "BEST" in current situation is bit complicated as PLAN has outnumbered us in Sub fleet which has upper hand in times of conflict....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles