Does anybody knows Stanislav Petrov Yevgrafovich?

HeinzGud

Country flag
Google Translate

Lieutenant Colonel Stanislav Petrov was duty officer on the Serpukhov -15-Bunker (about 50 miles south of Moscow). His task was the computer-and satellite-based monitoring of air space. In the event of a nuclear attack on the USSR saw the strategy before one all-out immediate nuclear retaliation.

Shortly after midnight of the 26th September 1983 announced the approaching one computer to the Soviet Union, U.S. nuclear missile. Petrov concluded with the unlikelihood of a single missile first strike carried out because of massive retaliation would mean the total annihilation of the aggressor. In addition, the reliability of the satellite system (was Cosmos 1382 has previously been found several times in question. Petrov classified the incident as a false alarm.

A short time later reported the computer system a second, third, fourth and fifth rocket fired. Petrov continued to believe in a false alarm, but had no other sources to verify his suspicions. The range of Soviet land-based radar was so short that it would be the time of discovery was too late. Standing under such tremendous pressure, Petrov remained in deciding the information that led to a counter-attack, not forward. He sat still on a computer error, knowing that in the event of an error on his part, immediately dozens of nuclear warheads would fall on his home country. Since the satellite system but reported only five missiles fired, he walked out of a false alarm. An actual attack would have taken place in his view, with many more weapons.

Shortly after this morning turned out that Petrov's estimates were correct - the Soviet satellite early warning system had sun reflections on clouds in the vicinity of Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana, where American intercontinental missiles were stationed, misinterpreted as a missile launch. Even if the order to counterattack would ultimately still the Soviet high command and the need to rearrange governance, Petrov had stopped in time by his prudent conduct the hierarchical chain reaction to a possible nuclear war.

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM
Cool story. Thanks for sharing!

Stanislav's discretionary power saved the day.

If there's one thing this tells us about military situations, it's that they're often spontaneous and unpredictable, and don't always work to protocol.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Will Iran have somebody like him...? :frusty:
wow you are scared ? iran will nuke malaysia :shocked:

lighten up....every person in iran is saner than every person in pakistan. now you may want iran not to have nukes but give a correct reason than claiming they are mad. No ideally i wouldn't want anymore countries to have nukes because i want them to remain weak rather than making up shite excuses.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
No need to nuke Malaysia. Iran just have to nuke Israel to burn the World down. And with it 50 years of our hard work...

HeinzGud

Country flag
I just stumble upon this article... never heard of him before..... but without his work I wouldn't be here right now................. so much for the Heros on television!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It just goes to say over reliance on gadgetry and technology could prove dangerous!

For everything there must be duplication and manual override!

ice berg

It just goes to say over reliance on gadgetry and technology could prove dangerous!

For everything there must be duplication and manual override!
I am sure we have such people on both sides. Otherwise we wont be here today. Sanity prevailed!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am sure we have such people on both sides. Otherwise we wont be here today. Sanity prevailed!
I am talking of manual override for technology.

Not about people who have sanity as the first prerequisite!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles