Do you think Modi has what it takes to be a wartime commander?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ArmchairGeneral, Jun 11, 2015.

1. ArmchairGeneral

ArmchairGeneral Regular Member

We have seen a year of his military upgrades etc but if the fronts become hot again, do you think he has it in him? Does he have a strategic vision like cold start etc.?

3. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

Modi does not need to be a wartime commander, all he needs are good and sound advisors during the crux times.

He just needs to weigh the choices and make a good call.

VIP, Neil, Illusive and 5 others like this.
  4. archie

archie Regular Member

From the Looks till now he is s strong Political Leader who has the Vision to make India Strong come what may.... I belive The Three Chiefs of the services play the comander with the support of CCS ..

Looks like we have a strong bold Collective in many many years..

5. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

All he needs to do is to let army and other forces do their job and shield them from internal ( #AdarshLibral) and external (West + Islamic countries) pressures....our forces are adept at setting goals and meeting objectives.... all modi has to do is political manoeuvrings. He does not have to devise war plans.:biggrin2:
    @OneGrimPilgrim @rock127 do you guys agree?

VIP, parijataka, Mad Indian and 5 others like this.
  6. anupamsurey

anupamsurey Regular Member

Modi is a capable leader, but not a war commander,
    this sort of work (decisions in wars, troop utilisation , etc are kept in hands of military leaders)- PM or prez just listen to them and give accent to it. it is the chiefs who do the actual work, it is same every where in the world.
    Modi didn't plan this myanmar operation he just gave his approval, rest of the details were worked out by NSA, and chief of our armed forces.

7. OneGrimPilgrim

OneGrimPilgrim Senior Member Senior Member

whr invaders hv been eulogised, heroes binned!!
    an apt time that you asked this! i read this comment today and think this perhaps summarises very well our (communal) feelings:

मेरी एक इच्छा है कि सरकार कुछ दिनों के लिए अपनी आँख बंद कर ले (मतलब मौन स्वीकृति) और सेना म्यांमार के बाद एक अभियान और चलाये जिसका नाम हो "ऑपरेशन बंबू" जिसके तहत जो भी देशद्रोही कमीने पत्रकार और सेक्युलर सूअर सेना के इस अभियान पर किसी भी छद्म मानव अधिकार का रोना रो कर हमारे शहीदों का खुलेआम अपमान कर रहे हैं, चुन चुन कर उनके '......' में बंबू डाल अपने तंबू में ले जा कर पटक दे।

blueblood, rock127 and Rowdy like this.
  8. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

Name one Indian politician who is better suited to be a wartime commander.

ersakthivel likes this.
  9. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

The right question to ask is- Can Modi avoid war and still screw up Pakistan & China?

parijataka, Abhijat, Illusive and 4 others like this.
  10. sukhish

sukhish Senior Member Senior Member

couple of disappointments :

1) rupee exchange rate is around 64 per dollar. I was expecting somewhere in mid fifties.
    2) Also export are down to $310 compared to $314 in 2013-2014. they are saying that will double them by 2020
    and that is not happening , even next year exports would around $310-$315.
    3) After getting NSG waiver in 2008 next step in NSG membership, I still do not see any break through in this
    area.
    4) GDP growth for last quarter is reported to be 7.4%, for the quarter before that they revised it down to 6.6%.
    even for the last quarter I see them revising below 7 percent for sure. so to say we are growing
    faster than china is pre judging it. if you go back to earlier base year, GDP growth is still sub five percent.

5) attack on our forces are still continuing, eastern sector has become hot. also Afghanistan is slipping sway
    from india slowly.

6) black money has not come back to india. before the elections they were saying that it itself could fund india's
    whole infrastructure. I have not seen them convicting anybody (no congress leader have any black money
    case registered against them).

my biggest problem is that GDP is not growing as I had anticipated.

11. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

1) and 2) are contradictory. India cannot become export power house with strong rupee. A strong rupee makes India's exports less competitive.

Mad Indian and Bangalorean like this.
  12. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Gen. V. K. Singh.

He is now a politician.

13. sukhish

India's exports were booming when rupee was at 44-45. that is the time when exports took quantum
    leap from being around $150 billion to around $290 billion. you can bring rupee down to
    $70 and exports also go down.

you are thinking as though we are like china.

14. sukhish

that should be the goal, china is also very worrying to me, I almost think that they start a small
    war just to put pressure on india, as their economy starts to unfold

15. tarunraju

It will be a disaster making him oversee a combat military op over sitting generals, especially when the current military brass were his subordinates, and when he openly voiced opposition to Suhaag's appointment. Why do you think he is not Raksha Mantri (or at least an MoS?)

16. pmaitra

You have a point.

I was looking at it from the pure war commander's position, and trying to answer your question as to which politician would be best? Of all the current politicians, V. K. Singh best fits the bill, purely by virtue of his training and career experience.

17. tarunraju

Again, my argument is that an elected "wartime commander" should be from a non-military background, or else he will become Julius Caesar.

18. pmaitra

Shifting the goalpost, I see? :D

19. tarunraju

No. I'm shooting straight. There is no elected representative more fit to be a wartime commander than Modi, in the current polity. Certainly not Gen VK Singh. He is valuable in a lot of things, and coordinating humanitarian ops (where there's little/no scope for disagreements between him and military brass); but not war. Maybe the PM will use him as an adviser in his war room, but he will never directly interface with the military brass. Doing so would be disastrous.

20. pmaitra

You have pointed out things about V. K. Singh in particular, and that I agree with.

V. K. Singh is one thing, and asking a politician from non-military background is quite another thing. This is a condition you added later, which I thought was shifting the goalpost.

Why should we prohibit a person from military background who is now a politician?

21. tarunraju

Because they have inherent autocratic tendencies that can be catalyzed by performance as a wartime commander outside a military organization.