Do you guys think philosophers are smart?

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
Chetan Bhagat thought of a great business plan - writing English novels in simple English, without any high-sounding words or complex grammar. And he succeeded. It was a brilliant business plan which fetched him lots of money and fame. I call that a big success.
to be honest his novels are of on literary sense, he knows nothing about literature
he should call himself businessman and not writes , cause writing is a dedicated art form
sir ,if you want to realise true literature , I will give you the list
chetan bhagat all novels = ode on grecian urns by keats, or doctors dilemma by shaw, his all novels can't even match single drama by shakespeare or marlowe

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
He is delusional. He thinks Indians are somehow smarter than Americans :lol: I can tell you with some confidence that American graduate students are definitely smarter than their Indian counterparts.
smartness is not a outcome of nation , the one who works hard and dedicated towards his study is smart

Country flag
Most philosophers are utopian idealist out of touch with reality wanting to
Change the world to suit their views. But the world seldom conforms.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
May you should stop believing the random talk you had with someone who gave GRE. It's bloody difficult to score 330+ and 315+ is what any half decent guy/girl would score.
I have given GRE :)

He is delusional. He thinks Indians are somehow smarter than Americans :lol: I can tell you with some confidence that American graduate students are definitely smarter than their Indian counterparts.
Actually, I never said Indians are smarter. GRE scores are a poor indicator of a person's intelligence. That's why, unlike you I consider them a 'bloody joke' :)

BTW Most American grad students in STEM fields are actually Indians or Chinese. Indians and Chinese get better scores (in quant) because of the syllabus of GRE. They do far more rigorous stuff in high school and undergrad compared to their American counterparts.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Logic is a branch of mathematics.To be said quite correctly,there are various types of logic.We computer students learn about Digital logic which is based on boolean algebra.

As for logic in philosophy it will be nice if some one can tell me what it is really about?I mean I want to know what is the subject based on actually.
One of things Philosophy is based on is Argumentation and Logic.This argumentation is based on analyzing set of statements and and deriving a inference based on their truth.

For example(just for fun) :

Some Pakis are Terrorists.
Neo is a Paki.
So Neo is a Terrorist.

Anyway in a serious note you can study Propositional Logic about how to study statements and get inference using the Logic.

The Truth Tables used in Symbolic Logic(part of Philosophy)are the base of Logic Gates in Computer Science where we make Digital Circuits since its based on T/F or 1/0 or Current Passing/Current Not Passing.

PS: @Singh Why image embedding not working??? It could be better to understand here.

Last edited by a moderator:

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
@rock127
your comment is based on truth
except logic some methods I already mentioned like questioning basic question, argument on its answer , criticizing it , and keen observation . Philosophy is based on concept and a chain of thought .
there are many much methods but will post them if there is need

Last edited by a moderator:

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
I have given GRE :)

Actually, I never said Indians are smarter. GRE scores are a poor indicator of a person's intelligence. That's why, unlike you I consider them a 'bloody joke' :)

BTW Most American grad students in STEM fields are actually Indians or Chinese. Indians and Chinese get better scores (in quant) because of the syllabus of GRE. They do far more rigorous stuff in high school and undergrad compared to their American counterparts.
Ok what about the LSAT? That exam will kick your ass if the GRE did not. I agree with you that the math portion of the GRE is very easy and any good college graduate can easily ace that section. But the verbal portion is much harder to master and requires some innate intelligence in order to do so. Not sure about the Analytical Writing part.
The LSAT is a very tough exam. My friend's (who is white) brother got a score in the 99th percentile and got into Yale Law School. It is extremely difficult to get into Yale and he is smart as hell. He also aced the GRE in similar fashion and got into a top Graduate Program in his field (Philosophy). Both the LSAT and the GRE( at least Verbal Reasoning ) have a significant correlation with IQ.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I'm studying philosophy as you all know and I thought to ask what Indians think of my major. Are philosophers considered smart?
I didn't know you were. And yes uber smart. Not kidding.

How can you think of being a hedonist when life is so fragile.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Ok what about the LSAT? That exam will kick your ass if the GRE did not. I agree with you that the math portion of the GRE is very easy and any good college graduate can easily ace that section. But the verbal portion is much harder to master and requires some innate intelligence in order to do so. Not sure about the Analytical Writing part.
The LSAT is a very tough exam. My friend's (who is white) brother got a score in the 99th percentile and got into Yale Law School. It is extremely difficult to get into Yale and he is smart as hell. He also aced the GRE in similar fashion and got into a top Graduate Program in his field (Philosophy). Both the LSAT and the GRE( at least Verbal Reasoning ) have a significant correlation with IQ.
Well I have little knowledge of this LSAT.Here in India people give SAT exam for studying in foreign universities.I do not know if SAT or LSAT are the same thing or not,but one of my friends(who is now in IIT Kharagpur and was an ISC topper) gave this SAT exam and did quite well there.He told me that SAT was a very easy exam and nothing compared to IIT or ISI exam(well I did not qualify IIT but I did get called for ISI interview which of course I did not get through.Both of them are quite hard exams atleast for a person like me). Of course I am not judging SAT`s quality from his remark since my friend was a real genius.What may have been easy for him might not be so for others.

Last edited:

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Ignore him AtheistHindu Bro. The particular Mod often embellish his posts to present himself as a perspicacious contributor on this forum. If you try to argue with him/her be ready to get a Infraction and the worst part being there's no bloody Ignore button for Mods. :tsk:

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Well I have little knowledge of this LSAT.Here in India people give SAT exam for studying in foreign universities.I do not know if SAT or LSAT are the same thing or not,
LSAT is to get in an Law School in US after Graduation. SAT is to get in under-graduate program in USA.
Big ----ing difference between the two.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Ignore him AtheistHindu Bro. The particular Mod often embellish his posts to present himself as a perspicacious contributor on this forum. If you try to argue with him/her be ready to get a Infraction and the worst part being there's no bloody Ignore button for Mods. :tsk:
Papa ne nahi dictionary kharidi pappu ke liye. :lol::lol:

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
I didn't know you were. And yes uber smart. Not kidding.

How can you think of being a hedonist when life is so fragile.
I'm not a hedonist at all. Classical hedonism posits that all human good and bad consists in pleasure and pain respectively. It's not hard to see how hedonism falls apart pretty quickly on reflection.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Well I have little knowledge of this LSAT.Here in India people give SAT exam for studying in foreign universities.I do not know if SAT or LSAT are the same thing or not,but one of my friends(who is now in IIT Kharagpur and was an ISC topper) gave this SAT exam and did quite well there.He told me that SAT was a very easy exam and nothing compared to IIT or ISI exam(well I did not qualify IIT but I did get called for ISI interview which of course I did not get through.Both of them are quite hard exams atleast for a person like me). Of course I am not judging SAT`s quality from his remark since my friend was a real genius.What may have been easy for him might not be so for others.
SAT is indeed very easy especially for students who go through a more rigorous curriculum. LSAT is a different beast altogether.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
Just a sheet of paper can't say you are smart or not, many can't farm , many topper have funny views toward life
many clever student don't know business and finance
most thinks that buying a car , or just living in huge house or just stealing one paisa of someone is smartness
many thinks that life is rest and fun etc.
many think that life is a gift for success
but all forget the actual meaning of life ie satisfaction
we should live for satisfaction and that's why there is philosophy

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
This is not true.I don`t think that you can actually classify people into smart and stupid people.Yes I admit the fact that the quality of our education is not as good as foreign universities.(If one visits the labs of state govt engg colleges one can clearly see the decadence there.Well even Newton had better labs to perform experiments).

However calling us unsmart just because we don`t have proper facilities is an unwise thing.Well it seems you believe in those cheap surveys which show Indians having an IQ of 80(the surveyors probably picked up a poor farmer for their "survey" and asked him questions on English and mathematics to judge his IQ.Huh if the surveyors themselves were asked questions on farming they would get a zero).However if you come to India and meet some of the students here you will see how smart and hardworking they are really. Some have beaten impossible odds and they could not have done so if they were not smart.Tell me which American graduate/school student had to walk 5-10 km everyday to reach college/school and still had the energy to study and look after the farm house.Having facilities and money really helps a person become "SMART".If you can then do spare a moment and look into this.

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...ind-boy-becomes-iit-topper-pratish-datta.html

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Huh ?
Google karle agar matlab nahi pata toh :lol::rofl::rotflmao::pound:

Edit: I saw how 'good' is your Reasoning and Comprehension skill on AAP/NaMo Thread so this post of yours doesn't come as a surprise to me.
Waah ! Papa ne bete ko broadband bhi dila diya :lol:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles